Posted to rec.woodworking
Nova Nova is offline

Default OT 'ish: Chainsaw Sharpening Kit

Mike wrote:

I'm sure that at least a few people on this NG own/use a chainsaw from
time to time, so...

I've been wanting to get a chain saw sharpening tool, but wasn't sure
what type to get - dremel attachment/clamp on angle guide/freehand
file/etc... I ended up getting an angle guide/file kit made by
Husquavarna from Lowes ($14). The kit comes with two round files and a
flat file, a handle, and a small angle guide. The little guide is about
an inch square and just sits on top of the chain, straddling a cutter.
The guide aligns itself with the chain so that the correct angle is
easy to obtain.

After just a few minutes spent figuring out how to use it, I was able
to sharpen the chain in less than 10 minutes. I went outside to make a
test cut on some recently cut logs - wow, this chain is scary sharp!
Very impressive results with almost no learning curve and little time
invested.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I'd highly recommend Husky's file kit.

Mike

I've been using a file/guide for a couple years with decent results.
Today I needed to sharpen my saw but with the recent storm we had in my
area my file and guide was misplaced. I tried to buy a new file this
morning and all the stores that I checked were sold out. I did find the
Dremel attachment kit at Home Depot and bought it. I sharpened the saw
about two hours ago much more quickly and with far superior results than
I could do with the file and guide.

In my opinion the Dremel attachment is well worth the $10.00.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA