Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Has Biesemeyer gone completely to hell?

I am unlurking to ask a serious question. Has Biesemeyer gone completely
to hell?

I've been intending to upgrade my TS fence to a Biesemeyer for a few
years. Every time I use someone's saw with a Bies fence, I'm reminded
that my fence is not strong enough. I love their old fences.

So it was natural that I'd try Biesemeyer first when I decided to build
a quickie, small miter saw station. I know I should have built the whole
thing from scratch, but when I was tempted by "78-802 Biesemeyer Miter
Saw Table System" I decided it would be nice to have a ready made set of
tables. Plus they have a really (!) nice (but expensive) stop system. So
I got two of their miter saw tables and they looked great until I put
them on a flat surface. The little SOBs are both twisted - the worst one
has one leg a quarter inch off (high). That much twist on such a short
(24") table is terrible. I should send them back, but there seems to be
no point in having them replaced, since more than one was twisted. So I
clamped them to my old bench and tweaked until everything was straight
and true (one fence need a bit of untwisting, too). And now they work
great; it's a nice design if they would just put them together right.

So the question is is Delta making Biesemeyer fences more carefully
than their miter saw tables? I am not interested in doing any more of
the factory's work, and I'm not sure I am capable of tweaking a table
saw fence into good enough alignment. Plus I just don't want to start
bending and twisting on something that expensive.

If Biesemeyer has gone to hell, who makes the best Bies-clone fence
these days? By best I mean strong, straight, square, able to hold
alignment. Maybe General has kept up the Biesemeyer tradition. Anyone
have recent experience with Bies clones?

TIA
PDX David