Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Drill Press Uses?

I bought a Delta benchtop drill press a couple of years ago, thinking it
would be one of the most used machines in my workshop. I bought it to make
mortises, drill shelf pin holes, holes for inset hinges, etc. But, two
years later, I find I rarely even plug it in. All the things I bought it
for, I tend to use my cordless drill for instead, or use different
materials or techniques that don't require the drill press.

It took me years to finally purchase a drill press, so I don't really want
to get rid of it. But I'm curious what other people do with their drill
press to get more use out of them?

Ideas please...

Thanks,

Anthony
Posted to rec.woodworking

HerHusband wrote:
I bought a Delta benchtop drill press a couple of years ago, thinking
it would be one of the most used machines in my workshop. I bought it
to make mortises, drill shelf pin holes, holes for inset hinges, etc.
But, two years later, I find I rarely even plug it in. All the things
I bought it for, I tend to use my cordless drill for instead, or use
different materials or techniques that don't require the drill press.

It took me years to finally purchase a drill press, so I don't really
want to get rid of it. But I'm curious what other people do with
their drill press to get more use out of them?

Ideas please...

Thanks,

Anthony

Don't router bits fit in a drill press? ;-)

I don't have a router table but a bit of ingenuity on the presses table
makes a make shift guide for routing rebates and the like.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

HerHusband wrote:
It took me years to finally purchase a drill press, so I don't really want
to get rid of it. But I'm curious what other people do with their drill
press to get more use out of them?

Ideas please...

Yeah, I use mine a lot - any time it would be beneficial to have a hole
exactly perpendicular to my workpiece (and the workpiece fits under the
DP). And for drilling mortises with forstner bits, or any time holes
need to be overlapping - forstner bits can do this, but not safely with
a hand drill. And any time I'm using a larger bit and it would be hard
to hold a hand drill steady. And if the hole is at an angle (support
workpiece at an angle on DP table) such that a hand-held drill would
deflect. And occasionally for a drum sander. And with a
tenoning/doweling bit to make a round tenon. And to make plugs (OK, I
don't have the plug cutters yet, but they're on my list...) Anyway,
the DP is one of the more frequently-used tools in my shop, especially
now that I have a decent home-made table with T-tracks and a fence, and
counterweights so it's easy to change the table height.
In fact, I had to get pretty creative recently with a doweling jig and
a plunge router when I needed to drill 3/4" dia holes, 2" deep, into
end grain of 80" long bed rails, that had to be exactly parallel to the
rail. This would have been a no-brainer if the board had fit under the
DP.
Hey, if you don't use your DP, I'm sure some beginning woodworker would
love to have a handy tool, so sell yours used and keep the cash for a
tool you would use. I know some people even like to have multiple DPs
set up for various operations, so it shouldn't be too hard to unload
yours.
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 09:50:33 -0500, HerHusband
wrote:

I bought a Delta benchtop drill press a couple of years ago, thinking it
would be one of the most used machines in my workshop. I bought it to make
mortises, drill shelf pin holes, holes for inset hinges, etc. But, two
years later, I find I rarely even plug it in. All the things I bought it
for, I tend to use my cordless drill for instead, or use different
materials or techniques that don't require the drill press.

It took me years to finally purchase a drill press, so I don't really want
to get rid of it. But I'm curious what other people do with their drill
press to get more use out of them?

Ideas please...

Thanks,

Anthony

Besides drilling holes in wood, plastic, and metal I use my drill
press for sanding, counter boring, buffing, mortising, cutting wheels,
holes, etc. Most of these things don't work too well with a hand-held
drill, plus you get a more precise speed. Basically, I'd be at a loss
without a drill press. I use the drill press more than the band saw,
and I don't even own a cordless drill after my last (expensive) one
bit the dust.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" writes:
Don't router bits fit in a drill press? ;-)

Yes, but drill presses aren't designed for lateral stress. The chuck
tends to fall out. Plus, they don't spin nearly fast enough to get a
good cut.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HerHusband" wrote in message
I bought a Delta benchtop drill press a couple of years ago, thinking it
would be one of the most used machines in my workshop. I bought it to make
mortises, drill shelf pin holes, holes for inset hinges, etc. But, two
years later, I find I rarely even plug it in. All the things I bought it
for, I tend to use my cordless drill for instead, or use different
materials or techniques that don't require the drill press.

It took me years to finally purchase a drill press, so I don't really want
to get rid of it. But I'm curious what other people do with their drill
press to get more use out of them?

Ideas please...

The DP was my first shop tool. It is also the one that I use least. I
mainly use it for light wirebrushing because I don't have room to leave my
grinder out.
Maybe I should sell the DP and use the room for my grinder w/wirebrush?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tony,

I've always had 'some sort' of 'drill press'. First one was a simple
'adapter' to hold a drill that attached to a board . . . could be used
horizontally or vertically. Many years later it was a 'Craftsman' unit that
was basically variable speed hand drill components in a plastic housing that
slid on a 24in tube.

Because of the type of work I do, and the restricted space, I looked for a
long time to find a DP that suited MY requirements. A few years ago I got a
Grizzly Bench-Top RADIAL. Like many tools - unless you are a production shop
with specific set-ups - the press is there for 'when you need it' . . . and
when you need it . . you NEED it !!.

One of the reasons I settled on a RADIAL press, and mounted it on the corner
of a bench, was for the large 'swing' and the ability to put a tall item on
the ground and get the abilities of a 'floor standing' press in a compact
package. One of the main reasons for ANY drill press is the relative
ACCURACY of the drilled holes - 'squareness', 'placement', and
'repeatability'. Also, depending on the press . . . holes with a 'Specific'
{and repeatable} angle. At the other end of the spectrum is such 'exotic'
uses as a 'vertical lathe', etc.

I would suggest a visit to your local library and the 'Woodworking' section
of the stacks. Just browse. While there should be at least one book specific
to the 'Using the Drill Press', there will be others with 'Tips &
Techniques', or 'Woodworkers Projects' that will typically give you a good
idea of various uses.

Regards & HAVE FUN . . .
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"HerHusband" wrote in message
I bought a Delta benchtop drill press a couple of years ago, thinking it
would be one of the most used machines in my workshop.

SNIP
But I'm curious what other people do with their drill
press to get more use out of them?

Ideas please...

Thanks,

Anthony

Posted to rec.woodworking

HerHusband wrote:

It took me years to finally purchase a drill press, so I don't really want
to get rid of it. But I'm curious what other people do with their drill
press to get more use out of them?

Ideas please...

Mortises, big forstner bits, plug cutting

Posted to rec.woodworking

HerHusband wrote:

I bought a Delta benchtop drill press a couple of years ago, thinking it
would be one of the most used machines in my workshop. I bought it to make
mortises, drill shelf pin holes, holes for inset hinges, etc. But, two
years later, I find I rarely even plug it in. All the things I bought it
for, I tend to use my cordless drill for instead, or use different
materials or techniques that don't require the drill press.

It took me years to finally purchase a drill press, so I don't really want
to get rid of it. But I'm curious what other people do with their drill
press to get more use out of them?

Ideas please...

Thanks,

Anthony

I have a mid-60s Craftsman floor standing DP with a maximum speed of
8550 rpm. I have chucked a router bit in it for some touch up work. I
also use wire brushes and drum sanders. This in addition to the usual
precision hole making (drills, hole saws, circle cutters, etc). I
couldn't be without the DP.
mahalo,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

I am curious about the size of benchtop drill press you have. Is it the
shortened version of the full-size Delta floor model; or the small machine
intended for hobby use (priced around or under $100)? The small ones are
limited in capability. However my 30 year old Craftsman floor model gets a
lot of use and has been updated a couple of times.

What do I use it for? Mainly drilling or boring holes. (I agree with
others that the drill press is not intended to withstand the lateral loads
that come with routing or shaping.) It is very difficult to drill a
perpendicular hole in anything with a hand-held drill motor or a dowel jig.
It also difficult to drill repeated and parallel holes, on even spacing,
without a drill press. The drill-press adds precision to any
drilling/boring operation. Some drill presses do a pretty good job with a
mortising set (if it fits) but mine is not compatible with the sets.

Go to the library and check out a drill press book or a general tool book
with drill press info. There are dozens of tricks, jigs and fences that
will increase the utility of the machine. Many of the jigs can be made
easily from scrap plywood and hardware.

Nearly all store-bought drill presses are designed for metal work. Thus the
small, rough, cast-iron table. The most useful improvement you can make for
your machine is a good-sized drill press table with a fence. My old
Craftsman has a table that is about 10" to 12" square. I built an add-on
from a double layer of 3/4" Baltic Birch Plywood that is 17" x 30" in size
and outside edges slide out to provide an additional 10" of support on each
side. I put "T" slots in it and built a maple fence that also includes a
"T" slot and a sliding/locking gage-block that makes repetitive work a snap.
Most of the top and fence were made from stuff I had in the shop. I had to
buy the "T" slots and associated hardware.

Look around for info. The drill press should be an indispensable part of
your shop.

RonB

"HerHusband" wrote in message
I bought a Delta benchtop drill press a couple of years ago, thinking it
would be one of the most used machines in my workshop. I bought it to make
mortises, drill shelf pin holes, holes for inset hinges, etc. But, two
years later, I find I rarely even plug it in. All the things I bought it
for, I tend to use my cordless drill for instead, or use different
materials or techniques that don't require the drill press.

It took me years to finally purchase a drill press, so I don't really want
to get rid of it. But I'm curious what other people do with their drill
press to get more use out of them?

Ideas please...

Thanks,

Anthony

Posted to rec.woodworking

I recently used my Delta benchtop DP to drill 308 precision holes for
doweling together large slabs of glue-up, then joining later with
threaded rods. Every one of the 308 holes lined up, not a single hole
had to be reamed.

In article , HerHusband
wrote:

I bought a Delta benchtop drill press a couple of years ago, thinking it
would be one of the most used machines in my workshop. I bought it to make
mortises, drill shelf pin holes, holes for inset hinges, etc. But, two
years later, I find I rarely even plug it in. All the things I bought it
for, I tend to use my cordless drill for instead, or use different
materials or techniques that don't require the drill press.

It took me years to finally purchase a drill press, so I don't really want
to get rid of it. But I'm curious what other people do with their drill
press to get more use out of them?

Ideas please...

Thanks,

Anthony

Posted to rec.woodworking

IF YOU CAN REMOVE THE CHUCK, AND TRY TO FIND A NEW ONE THAT WILL MOUNT TO
YOUR DRILL PRESS.

IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THE DP IN A VERTICLE POSITION, TRY MOUNTING IT ON ITS
SIDE AND USE IT AS A HORZ. BOREING MACHINE.
DIFFICULT BUT CAN BE DONE. DID THIS YEARS AGO. I HAVE 6 DP'S ALL GET USED

GOOD LUCK
WOODWORM
"HerHusband" wrote in message
I bought a Delta benchtop drill press a couple of years ago, thinking it
would be one of the most used machines in my workshop. I bought it to make
mortises, drill shelf pin holes, holes for inset hinges, etc. But, two
years later, I find I rarely even plug it in. All the things I bought it
for, I tend to use my cordless drill for instead, or use different
materials or techniques that don't require the drill press.

It took me years to finally purchase a drill press, so I don't really want
to get rid of it. But I'm curious what other people do with their drill
press to get more use out of them?

Ideas please...

Thanks,

Anthony

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Mohnike wrote:
[...]

Is your caps lock key in overdrive?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

HerHusband writes:

It took me years to finally purchase a drill press, so I don't really want
to get rid of it. But I'm curious what other people do with their drill
press to get more use out of them?

The most recent was using it to make sure I was tapping a 9/16" thread
straight into metal. I combined it with a spring-loaded device which
fit nicely at the end of my T-Wrench.

Other uses
*) press fitting pens together.
*) A mini-mill. (Get an X-Y table).
I once wanted to cut a 1/16" slot in the edge of a 1/4"
thick metal disk, so I put a dremel-type bit in it, an
cut around it with my drill press.

Posted to rec.woodworking

HerHusband wrote:
I bought a Delta benchtop drill press a couple of years ago, thinking it
would be one of the most used machines in my workshop. I bought it to make
mortises, drill shelf pin holes, holes for inset hinges, etc. But, two
years later, I find I rarely even plug it in. All the things I bought it
for, I tend to use my cordless drill for instead, or use different
materials or techniques that don't require the drill press.

It took me years to finally purchase a drill press, so I don't really want
to get rid of it. But I'm curious what other people do with their drill
press to get more use out of them?

Ideas please...

Thanks,

Anthony

I use my drill press whenever I need a hole straight up and down( which
is most of the time). Hand held drills only drill approximately
straight up and down. I also have a variety of drill press accessories,
but nine times out of ten when I switch on the drill press I have
nothing fancier than a twist drill in the chuck.

David Starr

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 15:05:27 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote:

HerHusband wrote:
[...]

I use my shopsmith for large routing jobs, but it's designed for it... seems
like a "normal" DP just wouldn't stand up to the side forces in routing??

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 09:50:33 -0500, HerHusband wrote:

I bought a Delta benchtop drill press a couple of years ago, thinking it
would be one of the most used machines in my workshop. I bought it to make
mortises, drill shelf pin holes, holes for inset hinges, etc. But, two
years later, I find I rarely even plug it in. All the things I bought it
for, I tend to use my cordless drill for instead, or use different
materials or techniques that don't require the drill press.

It took me years to finally purchase a drill press, so I don't really want
to get rid of it. But I'm curious what other people do with their drill
press to get more use out of them?

Ideas please...

Thanks,

Anthony

I use mine for a gluing clamp on turning blanks and stuff... you wouldn't even
have to plug it in.. *g*

Also handy for drum sanding, poor man's milling with a sanding disk, safer hole
cutting, etc...
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Mohnike" wrote in message
om...
IF YOU CAN REMOVE THE CHUCK, AND TRY TO FIND A NEW ONE THAT WILL MOUNT TO
YOUR DRILL PRESS.

IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THE DP IN A VERTICLE POSITION, TRY MOUNTING IT ON ITS
SIDE AND USE IT AS A HORZ. BOREING MACHINE.
DIFFICULT BUT CAN BE DONE. DID THIS YEARS AGO. I HAVE 6 DP'S ALL GET USED

GOOD LUCK
WOODWORM

Dude, you might want to think about using one of them DP's on that stuck cap
lock key!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Don't router bits fit in a drill press? ;-)

Probably, but I already have two routers and a router table. No need...

Anthony
Posted to rec.woodworking

I am curious about the size of
benchtop drill press you have.

It's a small 10" Delta model, I paid $88 for. Heck, I paid twice that for
my corded DeWalt hand drill, so I guess I can't complain...

Mainly drilling or boring holes.

I guess the reason I use the drill press so little is because none of the
projects I build have really needed holes drilled.

Most of my projects are simple cabinets in one shape or another. The face
frames are assembled with pocket screws using a jig and a handheld drill. I
use another jig with a handheld drill to make the shelf pin holes after the
cabinet has been assembled. And, I use surface mount hinges, so I haven't
needed to drill holes for the hinges.

The biggest thing I've used the drill press for is a rack for my pipe clamps.
I clamped a couple of strips of plywood together and drilled a series of 1-
1/4" holes through them both. One strip went at the top, the other at the
bottom, and the pipe clamps sit down through them. Quick, cheap, and works
well.

Anthony

Posted to rec.woodworking

DJ Delorie wrote:
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" writes:
Don't router bits fit in a drill press? ;-)

Yes, but drill presses aren't designed for lateral stress. The chuck
tends to fall out. Plus, they don't spin nearly fast enough to get a
good cut.

Mine came with a drum sander and the cuck has an allen
screw holding it in so the chck doesn't drop out.

I have also used a drill press to make circular plywood disks,
and somebody makea 'vertilathe' (TM) attachment for small
spindle turning.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

HerHusband wrote:
I bought a Delta benchtop drill press a couple of years ago, thinking it
would be one of the most used machines in my workshop. I bought it to make
mortises, drill shelf pin holes, holes for inset hinges, etc. But, two
years later, I find I rarely even plug it in. All the things I bought it
for, I tend to use my cordless drill for instead, or use different
materials or techniques that don't require the drill press.

It took me years to finally purchase a drill press, so I don't really want
to get rid of it. But I'm curious what other people do with their drill
press to get more use out of them?

Ideas please...

Thanks,

Anthony

Greeting from New Zealand, Anthony
Having a spare small drill press I am converting it into
a small milling machine like this.
http://www.pathcom.com/~vhchan/cnc/cnc.html

Except I am not using the CNC part of it.
Rather than go tothe trouble of making a housing
for the bottom bearing,I am using the front hub and
axle from a rear wheel drive car.
Bolt the hub up,and spin the stub axle.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 09:50:33 -0500, HerHusband wrote:

It took me years to finally purchase a drill press, so I don't really want
to get rid of it. But I'm curious what other people do with their drill
press to get more use out of them?

Ideas please...

Thanks,

Anthony

I use it all the time. In fact, I hardly ever pick up a hand-held drill in the
shop anymore, I do almost all my drilling on the DP. To me, it's just as quick
and easy to chuck a bit in the DP as in a hand-held drill, and any time I want a
hole precisely located, or precisely perpendicular, or drilled to a particular
depth. or want to drill holes in the same spot on multiple pieces, the DP does a
lot better job.

To reply by e-mail, use jcarlson631 at yahoo dot com

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

John,

I use it all the time. In fact, I hardly ever pick up a hand-held
drill in the shop anymore, I do almost all my drilling on the DP. To
me, it's just as quick and easy to chuck a bit in the DP as in a
hand-held drill

Different work styles I suppose... To me it's easier to take the drill to
my project than try to get the project up to the drill press. But as I said
earlier, I rarely need to drill holes other than pocket screws and shelf
pin holes. So I seldom need the accuracy the drill press provides.

Anthony
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 10:27:35 -0500, HerHusband
wrote:

John,

I use it all the time. In fact, I hardly ever pick up a hand-held
drill in the shop anymore, I do almost all my drilling on the DP. To
me, it's just as quick and easy to chuck a bit in the DP as in a
hand-held drill

Different work styles I suppose... To me it's easier to take the drill to
my project than try to get the project up to the drill press. But as I said
earlier, I rarely need to drill holes other than pocket screws and shelf
pin holes. So I seldom need the accuracy the drill press provides.

Anthony

==================
Missed all the other replies.... I do not think I could survive with
out a drill press even though I have 3-4 hand drills of various sizes
and a couple of cordless drills around the shop...

I have 3 Drill presses in my shop ... and my original floor model
(crapsman I bought new in the mid 60's) has been a workhorse ...its
got to be the most used tool in my shop...

Bob G.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 10:27:35 -0500, HerHusband wrote:

John,

I use it all the time. In fact, I hardly ever pick up a hand-held
drill in the shop anymore, I do almost all my drilling on the DP. To
me, it's just as quick and easy to chuck a bit in the DP as in a
hand-held drill

Different work styles I suppose... To me it's easier to take the drill to
my project than try to get the project up to the drill press. But as I said
earlier, I rarely need to drill holes other than pocket screws and shelf
pin holes. So I seldom need the accuracy the drill press provides.

Anthony

I think it's like computer programs... what you learned to use first, you tend
to use for everything it can possibly do...

Personally, I hate to use things like forstner bits and sanding drums on a hand
held rig...

My DP is a shopsmith, which also serves as a router, 12" disk sander and a few
other things, (not a saw), and I use it so much that I've thought of adding a
dedicated DP to the new shop... Just one of those handy things to have..

With a few jigs, you can drill round stock, irregular shapes, etc....
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking

"jo4hn" wrote in message

I have a mid-60s Craftsman floor standing DP with a maximum speed of
8550 rpm. I have chucked a router bit in it for some touch up work. I
also use wire brushes and drum sanders. This in addition to the usual
precision hole making (drills, hole saws, circle cutters, etc). I
couldn't be without the DP.

A drill press is one of the best dowel 'sizers' known to mankind.

I don't use mine daily, but like many tools in the shop, when I need it no
other tool will do.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/30/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 10:27:35 -0500, HerHusband wrote:

John,

Different work styles I suppose... To me it's easier to take the drill to
my project than try to get the project up to the drill press. But as I said
earlier, I rarely need to drill holes other than pocket screws and shelf
pin holes. So I seldom need the accuracy the drill press provides.

Anthony

Well, the DP is first and foremost a hole-drilling machine, and if you don't
have much use for drilling holes than you probably won't have much use for a
drill press. As others have pointed out, you can use it as a drum sander,
mortise-rougher and a few other things, but those are secondary uses, and I
probably wouldn't bother buying one just for those things.

(OTOH, shelf-pin holes are one of the things that I love the DP for. Set up the
fence, and the spacing from the edge is fixed. Set the depth stop and the depth
is fixed. Drill one hole, then use spacer blocks to move the workpiece by
whatever spacing you choose, and you can bang out a whole bookshelf's worth of
holes without any more measuring or even thinking. Perfectly aligned,
consistent depth, perfectly spaced in both horizontal and vertical directions.)

To reply by e-mail, use jcarlson631 at yahoo dot com

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

John wrote in
:

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 10:27:35 -0500, HerHusband
wrote:

John,

[...]

In addition to drilling holes I use it to polish almost any item I can put
in the chuck. You would be amazed the shine you can put on aluminum,
brass, and even steel.

You can also shape and resize small bits of metal using a file, emery
cloth, or even sandpaper.

I sometimes view the drill press as a small vertical lathe.