Posted to rec.woodworking
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Drill Press Uses?

I am curious about the size of
benchtop drill press you have.

It's a small 10" Delta model, I paid $88 for. Heck, I paid twice that for
my corded DeWalt hand drill, so I guess I can't complain...

Mainly drilling or boring holes.

I guess the reason I use the drill press so little is because none of the
projects I build have really needed holes drilled.

Most of my projects are simple cabinets in one shape or another. The face
frames are assembled with pocket screws using a jig and a handheld drill. I
use another jig with a handheld drill to make the shelf pin holes after the
cabinet has been assembled. And, I use surface mount hinges, so I haven't
needed to drill holes for the hinges.

The biggest thing I've used the drill press for is a rack for my pipe clamps.
I clamped a couple of strips of plywood together and drilled a series of 1-
1/4" holes through them both. One strip went at the top, the other at the
bottom, and the pipe clamps sit down through them. Quick, cheap, and works
well.

Anthony