Posted to rec.woodworking
John John is offline

Default Drill Press Uses?

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 10:27:35 -0500, HerHusband wrote:

John,

Different work styles I suppose... To me it's easier to take the drill to
my project than try to get the project up to the drill press. But as I said
earlier, I rarely need to drill holes other than pocket screws and shelf
pin holes. So I seldom need the accuracy the drill press provides.

Anthony

Well, the DP is first and foremost a hole-drilling machine, and if you don't
have much use for drilling holes than you probably won't have much use for a
drill press. As others have pointed out, you can use it as a drum sander,
mortise-rougher and a few other things, but those are secondary uses, and I
probably wouldn't bother buying one just for those things.

(OTOH, shelf-pin holes are one of the things that I love the DP for. Set up the
fence, and the spacing from the edge is fixed. Set the depth stop and the depth
is fixed. Drill one hole, then use spacer blocks to move the workpiece by
whatever spacing you choose, and you can bang out a whole bookshelf's worth of
holes without any more measuring or even thinking. Perfectly aligned,
consistent depth, perfectly spaced in both horizontal and vertical directions.)

To reply by e-mail, use jcarlson631 at yahoo dot com

John