Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Follow-up

I took the recommendation of " and used Jasco's
Premium Paint & Epoxy Remover because it claimed to:

1. remove tough and easy coatings including paint, epoxy, urethane,
latex, lacquers
2. be fast-acting in 5-15 minutes
3. remove "multiple coats with one application".

I used a new paint brush to flow the remover on in a thick coat in one
direction. I waited 15 minutes (until surface was blistered). I
removed the finish with a plastic spatula.

After following the above process FOUR times, almost all of the
original finish remained. Jasco wasted my money and wasted my time.

====================

I then used a DeWalt Heavy-Duty 1/4-Sheet Palm Grip Sander. I started
with 80-grit sandpaper and it removed ALL of the finish very quickly
and cleanly. I then used a 150-grit sandpaper and finished with a
220-grit sandpaper. FANTASTIC RESULTS!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

The post you referred to says "If you have a harder or more durable
finish, you may want to use the SOMETHING LIKE the StripEase brand of
heavy duty finish remover".

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

wrote in message
The post you referred to says "If you have a harder or more durable
finish, you may want to use the SOMETHING LIKE the StripEase brand of
heavy duty finish remover".

.... and a Velvet Elvis is SOMETHING LIKE the Mona Lisa.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

I had to refinish a coffee-table and two end-tables.

When the four applications of the Jasco failed to remove the original
finish on the coffee-table, I switched to the sander and it got down to
the bare wood in no time. On the end-tables, I used only the sander
(no Jasco) and it took a little longer to get down to bare wood.
Comparing the time, I guess the Jasco did remove a LITTLE of the finish
on the coffee-table. But using Jasco wasted almost two hours plus the
costs of the can of Jasco, the paintbrush and the plastic spatula.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

wrote in message
oups.com...
I took the recommendation of " and used Jasco's
Premium Paint & Epoxy Remover because it claimed to:

When you ask for free advice, you waive the right to complain about it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I wasn't complaining about the advice. I was complaining about the
product.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Toller" wrote in message
news

wrote in message
oups.com...
I took the recommendation of " and used Jasco's
Premium Paint & Epoxy Remover because it claimed to:

When you ask for free advice, you waive the right to complain about it.

AND, you get what you pay for.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

wrote in message
oups.com...
I wasn't complaining about the advice. I was complaining about the
product.

Perhaps you should reread what you wrote both times and leave "Nailshooter"
out of the equation. It really sounded like you blamed Nailshooter for the
results you got.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nailshooter suggested using a stripper and that's what I did.

It was Jasco's product that produced the results. When a product
claims it will do something -- like remove finishes in one application
(it didn't say that multiple appications might be needed) -- it should
that.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

wrote in message
ups.com...
Nailshooter suggested using a stripper and that's what I did.

It was Jasco's product that produced the results. When a product
claims it will do something -- like remove finishes in one application
(it didn't say that multiple appications might be needed) -- it should
that.

Geez You said,

I took the recommendation of " and used Jasco's
Premium Paint & Epoxy Remover because it claimed to:

So now you are saying that Nail shooter did not recommend the product you
used?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
I took the recommendation of " and used Jasco's
Premium Paint & Epoxy Remover because it claimed to:

1. remove tough and easy coatings including paint, epoxy, urethane,
latex, lacquers
2. be fast-acting in 5-15 minutes
3. remove "multiple coats with one application".

After following the above process FOUR times, almost all of the
original finish remained. Jasco wasted my money and wasted my time.

====================

Well, it looks like someone has been usnig my name in vain while I was
working this weekend. Where to start....

You took my advice and used Jasco and it wasted your money and time?

First dummy, I never told you to use the Jasco product. Or anything
like that. I am not familiar with it, so I wouldn't recommend it. I
was SPECIFIC about the brands so you could get your dimwitted self down
to buy the right kind. Was Jasco on sale? Would you claim that a it
would be a similar situation to use oil base paint interchangeably with
latex paint on a project because they are both "paint"?

Since you had nothing to offer other than whining that it didn't work,
how does anyone know what kind of stripper you used? Acid? Solvent?
Thixotripic?

Worse, I even suggested that you could just sand the whole thing off.
In writing. But, like a 12 year old boy that just found his ding dong,
you were overjoyed you happened on to that solution all by yourself.

I then used a DeWalt Heavy-Duty 1/4-Sheet Palm Grip Sander. I started
with 80-grit sandpaper and it removed ALL of the finish very quickly
and cleanly. I then used a 150-grit sandpaper and finished with a
220-grit sandpaper. FANTASTIC RESULTS!!

How creative of you. How original.

It is pointless of you to ask a question when you ignore a detailed
answer and complain about the results you got. And even more pointless
for someone to respond to you when you don't read or understand the
language.

I just re-read my post to you. I even explained the differences in
finish and how to get a good idea of what they are. Then I explained
the chemical composition of most strippers. I do not believe if you
followed those simple instructions on how to determine finish and
correct stripper you screwed it up so badly.

Well.... wait.... maybe you did.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

wrote in message
ups.com...

snip

How creative of you. How original.

AAAANNNNTTTTTT....!!!!!! I already told him that he Was da MAN. Lets not
go over board on praise. After all, he did twist, embellish, and totally
confuse us all with all his flip floppin story.

Is it hot in SA yet? ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

AAAANNNNTTTTTT....!!!!!! I already told him that he Was da MAN. Lets not
go over board on praise. After all, he did twist, embellish, and totally
confuse us all with all his flip floppin story.

Yeah, but it is annoying to spend a little time to detail something out
and then have someone do something different (perfectly acceptable)
then blame you (perfectly unacceptable) when their attempt fails.

Is it hot in SA yet? ;~)

'bout the same as where you are I would imagine. It has been around
100, or where I am working inside a warehouse around 106 by their
thermometer. To me it feels closer to about 170, maybe 180 degrees. I
really hate these first few weeks of getting acclimated to the heat.

Mandatory water restrictions should be in place soon (3-5 days) since
once more we are way behind on the rain. Gonna be a long, hot summer.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

wrote in message
oups.com...

Yeah, but it is annoying to spend a little time to detail something out
and then have someone do something different (perfectly acceptable)
then blame you (perfectly unacceptable) when their attempt fails.

And I am still not sure that he understands how mangled up his story is,
according to him.

Is it hot in SA yet? ;~)

'bout the same as where you are I would imagine. It has been around
100, or where I am working inside a warehouse around 106 by their
thermometer. To me it feels closer to about 170, maybe 180 degrees. I
really hate these first few weeks of getting acclimated to the heat.

Acclimated is the key and hopefully you can "ease" into it. ;~) It had not
bee too had in Houston. If you listen to the weather report you would swear
that the guys think we are in the middle of August. I think yesterday was
suppose to be around 96-98. I think it only hit 88 where I live.
I have done some attic work in the middle of summer and its hot and no
breeze, I hear you.

Mandatory water restrictions should be in place soon (3-5 days) since
once more we are way behind on the rain. Gonna be a long, hot summer.

I thought we were in the same boat until week before last. It rained for 6
days and we got 2.5" at my house. The east side of town got 13 inches in
one day.