DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Follow-up (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/165267-follow-up.html)

[email protected] June 11th 06 04:54 AM

Follow-up

I took the recommendation of " and used Jasco's
Premium Paint & Epoxy Remover because it claimed to:

1. remove tough and easy coatings including paint, epoxy, urethane,
latex, lacquers
2. be fast-acting in 5-15 minutes
3. remove "multiple coats with one application".

I used a new paint brush to flow the remover on in a thick coat in one
direction. I waited 15 minutes (until surface was blistered). I
removed the finish with a plastic spatula.

After following the above process FOUR times, almost all of the
original finish remained. Jasco wasted my money and wasted my time.

====================

I then used a DeWalt Heavy-Duty 1/4-Sheet Palm Grip Sander. I started
with 80-grit sandpaper and it removed ALL of the finish very quickly
and cleanly. I then used a 150-grit sandpaper and finished with a
220-grit sandpaper. FANTASTIC RESULTS!!

RicodJour June 11th 06 05:43 AM

Follow-up

wrote:
I took the recommendation of " and used Jasco's
Premium Paint & Epoxy Remover because it claimed to:

That's curious. I just reread the thread and the only two poducts he
mentioned were BIX and StripEase.

BTW, there's no reason to start a new thread when we're still talking
about the original question.

[email protected] June 11th 06 06:08 AM

Follow-up

The post you referred to says "If you have a harder or more durable
finish, you may want to use the SOMETHING LIKE the StripEase brand of
heavy duty finish remover".

Swingman June 11th 06 01:59 PM

Follow-up

wrote in message
The post you referred to says "If you have a harder or more durable
finish, you may want to use the SOMETHING LIKE the StripEase brand of
heavy duty finish remover".

.... and a Velvet Elvis is SOMETHING LIKE the Mona Lisa.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

mac davis June 11th 06 03:56 PM

Follow-up

On 10 Jun 2006 20:54:41 -0700, wrote:

Might have been a bitch to sand off if the repeated coats of Jasco didn't soften
the finish first..

In the interest of protecting our rights and fragile asses, the EPA has dumbed
down paint remover to the level of useless, IMHO..

The stuff in "the day" that you used with mask and gloves took off paint,
varnish, old glue and just about anything else.....

[...]

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

[email protected] June 11th 06 04:56 PM

Follow-up

I had to refinish a coffee-table and two end-tables.

When the four applications of the Jasco failed to remove the original
finish on the coffee-table, I switched to the sander and it got down to
the bare wood in no time. On the end-tables, I used only the sander
(no Jasco) and it took a little longer to get down to bare wood.
Comparing the time, I guess the Jasco did remove a LITTLE of the finish
on the coffee-table. But using Jasco wasted almost two hours plus the
costs of the can of Jasco, the paintbrush and the plastic spatula.

Toller June 11th 06 05:11 PM

Follow-up

wrote in message
oups.com...
I took the recommendation of " and used Jasco's
Premium Paint & Epoxy Remover because it claimed to:

When you ask for free advice, you waive the right to complain about it.

[email protected] June 11th 06 05:23 PM

Follow-up

I wasn't complaining about the advice. I was complaining about the
product.

Leon June 11th 06 05:25 PM

Follow-up

"Toller" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
I took the recommendation of " and used Jasco's
Premium Paint & Epoxy Remover because it claimed to:

When you ask for free advice, you waive the right to complain about it.

AND, you get what you pay for.

Leon June 11th 06 05:36 PM

Follow-up

wrote in message
oups.com...
I wasn't complaining about the advice. I was complaining about the
product.

Perhaps you should reread what you wrote both times and leave "Nailshooter"
out of the equation. It really sounded like you blamed Nailshooter for the
results you got.

[email protected] June 11th 06 05:51 PM

Follow-up

Nailshooter suggested using a stripper and that's what I did.

It was Jasco's product that produced the results. When a product
claims it will do something -- like remove finishes in one application
(it didn't say that multiple appications might be needed) -- it should
that.

RicodJour June 11th 06 06:14 PM

Follow-up

wrote:
Nailshooter suggested using a stripper and that's what I did.

It was Jasco's product that produced the results. When a product
claims it will do something -- like remove finishes in one application
(it didn't say that multiple appications might be needed) -- it should
that.

Nailshooter gave you advice on specific products, which you ignored, so
why did you single him out as giving advice on your decision to use
another product?

Leon June 11th 06 07:50 PM

Follow-up

wrote in message
ups.com...
Nailshooter suggested using a stripper and that's what I did.

It was Jasco's product that produced the results. When a product
claims it will do something -- like remove finishes in one application
(it didn't say that multiple appications might be needed) -- it should
that.

Geez You said,

I took the recommendation of " and used Jasco's
Premium Paint & Epoxy Remover because it claimed to:

So now you are saying that Nail shooter did not recommend the product you
used?

Prometheus June 11th 06 11:40 PM

Follow-up

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 07:56:50 -0700, mac davis
wrote:

On 10 Jun 2006 20:54:41 -0700, wrote:

Might have been a bitch to sand off if the repeated coats of Jasco didn't soften
the finish first..

Might have, but I wouldn't count on it. I guess I've found that
partially softened or partially wet finish is far worse to sand than
something that is good and dry because it gums up the paper.

In the interest of protecting our rights and fragile asses, the EPA has dumbed
down paint remover to the level of useless, IMHO..

The stuff in "the day" that you used with mask and gloves took off paint,
varnish, old glue and just about anything else.....

I was advocating the mechanical method, so I didn't toss it in, but
the stuff that Sherwin Williams sells still works pretty well.

Prometheus June 11th 06 11:47 PM

Follow-up

On 11 Jun 2006 09:51:42 -0700, wrote:

It was Jasco's product that produced the results. When a product
claims it will do something -- like remove finishes in one application
(it didn't say that multiple appications might be needed) -- it should
that.

So now you know for next time- chemical strippers never (and I mean
that in the most literal sense of the word) live up to the claims on
the packages. They might have in the good ol' days, but they sure
don't any more.

If you want to use them, get them on the surface as thick as possible,
keep them moist however you can, and give them 4-5x the amount of time
it suggests on the package to work, then clean it off with a stiff
scraper- a spatula won't do the trick.

I'd put money on the card scraper by itself being the best way to go
on almost any project that has flat surfaces. Chemical strippers
really only shine when you are stripping detailed millwork where a
scraper won't reach into the various nooks and crannies. Even in that
case, it helps to scrape as much as you can first, to allow the
stripper to get under the edges of the paint or finish.

[email protected] June 12th 06 05:40 AM

Follow-up

wrote:
I took the recommendation of " and used Jasco's
Premium Paint & Epoxy Remover because it claimed to:

1. remove tough and easy coatings including paint, epoxy, urethane,
latex, lacquers
2. be fast-acting in 5-15 minutes
3. remove "multiple coats with one application".

After following the above process FOUR times, almost all of the
original finish remained. Jasco wasted my money and wasted my time.

====================

Well, it looks like someone has been usnig my name in vain while I was
working this weekend. Where to start....

You took my advice and used Jasco and it wasted your money and time?

First dummy, I never told you to use the Jasco product. Or anything
like that. I am not familiar with it, so I wouldn't recommend it. I
was SPECIFIC about the brands so you could get your dimwitted self down
to buy the right kind. Was Jasco on sale? Would you claim that a it
would be a similar situation to use oil base paint interchangeably with
latex paint on a project because they are both "paint"?

Since you had nothing to offer other than whining that it didn't work,
how does anyone know what kind of stripper you used? Acid? Solvent?
Thixotripic?

Worse, I even suggested that you could just sand the whole thing off.
In writing. But, like a 12 year old boy that just found his ding dong,
you were overjoyed you happened on to that solution all by yourself.

I then used a DeWalt Heavy-Duty 1/4-Sheet Palm Grip Sander. I started
with 80-grit sandpaper and it removed ALL of the finish very quickly
and cleanly. I then used a 150-grit sandpaper and finished with a
220-grit sandpaper. FANTASTIC RESULTS!!

How creative of you. How original.

It is pointless of you to ask a question when you ignore a detailed
answer and complain about the results you got. And even more pointless
for someone to respond to you when you don't read or understand the
language.

I just re-read my post to you. I even explained the differences in
finish and how to get a good idea of what they are. Then I explained
the chemical composition of most strippers. I do not believe if you
followed those simple instructions on how to determine finish and
correct stripper you screwed it up so badly.

Well.... wait.... maybe you did.

Robert

Lew Hodgett June 12th 06 06:17 AM

Follow-up

wrote:

Well, it looks like someone has been usnig my name in vain while I was
working this weekend. Where to start....

You took my advice and used Jasco and it wasted your money and time?

First dummy, I never told you to use the Jasco product. Or anything
like that. I am not familiar with it, so I wouldn't recommend it. I
was SPECIFIC about the brands so you could get your dimwitted self down
to buy the right kind. Was Jasco on sale? Would you claim that a it
would be a similar situation to use oil base paint interchangeably with
latex paint on a project because they are both "paint"?

snip the balance of a great rant

Careful or you might just pop a blood vesselG.

Lew

Leon June 12th 06 06:47 AM

Follow-up

wrote in message
ups.com...

snip

How creative of you. How original.

AAAANNNNTTTTTT....!!!!!! I already told him that he Was da MAN. Lets not
go over board on praise. After all, he did twist, embellish, and totally
confuse us all with all his flip floppin story.

Is it hot in SA yet? ;~)

[email protected] June 12th 06 03:11 PM

Follow-up

Leon wrote:

AAAANNNNTTTTTT....!!!!!! I already told him that he Was da MAN. Lets not
go over board on praise. After all, he did twist, embellish, and totally
confuse us all with all his flip floppin story.

Yeah, but it is annoying to spend a little time to detail something out
and then have someone do something different (perfectly acceptable)
then blame you (perfectly unacceptable) when their attempt fails.

Is it hot in SA yet? ;~)

'bout the same as where you are I would imagine. It has been around
100, or where I am working inside a warehouse around 106 by their
thermometer. To me it feels closer to about 170, maybe 180 degrees. I
really hate these first few weeks of getting acclimated to the heat.

Mandatory water restrictions should be in place soon (3-5 days) since
once more we are way behind on the rain. Gonna be a long, hot summer.

Robert

Leon June 12th 06 03:43 PM