Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

Default Follow-up

On 10 Jun 2006 20:54:41 -0700, wrote:

Might have been a bitch to sand off if the repeated coats of Jasco didn't soften
the finish first..

In the interest of protecting our rights and fragile asses, the EPA has dumbed
down paint remover to the level of useless, IMHO..

The stuff in "the day" that you used with mask and gloves took off paint,
varnish, old glue and just about anything else.....

I took the recommendation of " and used Jasco's
Premium Paint & Epoxy Remover because it claimed to:

1. remove tough and easy coatings including paint, epoxy, urethane,
latex, lacquers
2. be fast-acting in 5-15 minutes
3. remove "multiple coats with one application".

I used a new paint brush to flow the remover on in a thick coat in one
direction. I waited 15 minutes (until surface was blistered). I
removed the finish with a plastic spatula.

After following the above process FOUR times, almost all of the
original finish remained. Jasco wasted my money and wasted my time.

I then used a DeWalt Heavy-Duty 1/4-Sheet Palm Grip Sander. I started
with 80-grit sandpaper and it removed ALL of the finish very quickly
and cleanly. I then used a 150-grit sandpaper and finished with a
220-grit sandpaper. FANTASTIC RESULTS!!

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis