Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank

Default Is the Delta Hybrid really bad?

I'm putting together my first workshop for doing crafts/furniture and I
am in the process of researching table saws.

I saw a really good deal on the Delta Hybrid table saw with a
biesemeyer fence (model 36-717) for about $600 (shipping is another
$100). This seems like a really good deal. But I've seen a number
of reviews in both directions on this saw (maybe the older reviews are
more negative than the newer).

I'm looking for opinions about this from people that actually have
experience with this saw one way or the other.

Also, are there any options in a similar price bracket that are as good
or better?

Thans for your advice.
Frank

Posted to rec.woodworking
RayV

Don't know about the Delta but I bought a Jet contractor saw with cast
wings similar to this:
http://tinyurl.com/pokbq
with an extension table and the exacta fence at woodworker's warehouse
a few years back for about $750. Very happy with this saw and only
needed a 79¢ upgrade as described he
http://home.pacbell.net/jdismuk/jetfix.html

I know WW warehouse is closed now but I went in and showed them an ad
from a website and they met the price. Whatever local place you have
may do the same thing.

Amazon is offering 10 percent of until the 8th code="TOOLS10R"

Happy hunting!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Cap'n 321

That's a great price. I just got the 36-717 with the delta T2 fence for
719 including shipping from amazon.com. I've just used it a few times
and am pretty satisfied. I still need to tweak the fence a bit, but the
saw cuts like a hot knife thru butter.

Cap'n 321

Frank wrote:
I'm putting together my first workshop for doing crafts/furniture and I
am in the process of researching table saws.

I saw a really good deal on the Delta Hybrid table saw with a
biesemeyer fence (model 36-717) for about $600 (shipping is another
$100). This seems like a really good deal. But I've seen a number
of reviews in both directions on this saw (maybe the older reviews are
more negative than the newer).

I'm looking for opinions about this from people that actually have
experience with this saw one way or the other.

Also, are there any options in a similar price bracket that are as good
or better?

Thans for your advice.
Frank

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank

Well it WAS a great price.

In the last few hours they raised the price by $300. :-/

I should have grabbed it while I could have instead of waffling.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve W

I can second that. I also got the 36-715 (T2 version) and have had no
significant problems. I have only had it a couple weeks, but the cuts have
been flawless even with the stock blade.

Some on Amazon complain about problems, but keep in mind that people are
more likely to report a review if they have had problems. I did not have
the set up problems that others have mentioned. The arbor flange runout was
..001" and the miter slot alignment was .003" out of the box. The table was
very flat, although I did have to shim one of the extension tables a little.

The only real negative part of the experience was the delivery. The driver
wanted to set the saw crate at the end of my 250' driveway, stating he was
only obligated to drop it off at the address. It took some coaxing to get
him to let me use his palate dolly to pull the crate up to my garage. He
smashed the crate getting it on the dolly and almost pushed the crate over
the end of his lift before lowering it to the ground. If you don't have a
way to get the crate to your workshop, consider paying extra for better
delivery options.

-Steve

Frank wrote:
I'm putting together my first workshop for doing crafts/furniture and I
am in the process of researching table saws.

I saw a really good deal on the Delta Hybrid table saw with a
biesemeyer fence (model 36-717) for about $600 (shipping is another
$100). This seems like a really good deal. But I've seen a number
of reviews in both directions on this saw (maybe the older reviews are
more negative than the newer).

I'm looking for opinions about this from people that actually have
experience with this saw one way or the other.

Also, are there any options in a similar price bracket that are as good
or better? Thans for your advice.
Frank

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack

I lucked in to some good deals on machinery this year. Most of the good
prices from Amazon. The best deal was a delta shaper, but the others
weren't far behind. I have a lot of delta equipment and no problems so
far that Delta parts didn't make good (cabinet saw guard suppled was
for right tilt, mine is left tilt). My old cheap Delta 6' disk, 4" belt
sander has had no problems ( after I cleaned all of the belt fibers out
of the drive belt area) and was used mostly for metal work. If you're
in a hurry to get a tool shipped Amazon might not be the place to shop
( I did buy a Bosch roto-cut tool that I needed for a job a week and a
half away a by some miracle it was delivered by Fed-ex the day before
I needed it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve W

I just look on Amazon, the 36-717 (Biesemeyer) saw is still going for
664.00. Pretty good considering I paid 719.00 for the 36-715 (T2). Better
hurry.

-Steve

Frank wrote:
I'm putting together my first workshop for doing crafts/furniture and I
am in the process of researching table saws.

I saw a really good deal on the Delta Hybrid table saw with a
biesemeyer fence (model 36-717) for about $600 (shipping is another
$100). This seems like a really good deal. But I've seen a number
of reviews in both directions on this saw (maybe the older reviews are
more negative than the newer).

I'm looking for opinions about this from people that actually have
experience with this saw one way or the other.

Also, are there any options in a similar price bracket that are as good
or better? Thans for your advice.
Frank

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie H.

I bought the saw with the T2 fence in February from Amazon it was $649 to
the door.
The guys sat it in my garage with no problems. I am very pleased with the
saw.
There was one issue which was a cracked table insert, I called Delta and a
nice lady asked a few questions mostly related to serial number and my
address and they had one on my door step in 2 or 3 days no charge.
In my opinion it is an excellent saw for a home owner / hobby wood worker,
mine is very repeatable and makes a nice clean cut. It does everything I
expected it to do. This is not a critical statement when I say the hybrid
saw is not a cabinet saw .... many people that find fault with the saw seem
to expect it to be a low cost cabinet saw. The hybrid is closer to a
contractor saw than it is to a cabinet saw.
Good luck and enjoy your new tool.
Charlie

"Frank" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm putting together my first workshop for doing crafts/furniture and I
am in the process of researching table saws.

I saw a really good deal on the Delta Hybrid table saw with a
biesemeyer fence (model 36-717) for about $600 (shipping is another
$100). This seems like a really good deal. But I've seen a number
of reviews in both directions on this saw (maybe the older reviews are
more negative than the newer).

I'm looking for opinions about this from people that actually have
experience with this saw one way or the other.

Also, are there any options in a similar price bracket that are as good
or better?

Thans for your advice.
Frank

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank

Charlie -- YES
That's the impression I got. Everyone that seemed disappointed about
this saw that I talked to personally gave me the impression that they
felt gypped that it wasnt some kind of cheap unisaw. I didn't expect
it to be so, just maybe half a notch above a contracter saw. At
$1000, I probably wouldn't go for it, but for the $649 I just paid, I'm
hoping that this is going to be the right purchase for me.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack

$649 is a good price.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank

My ending total after their current 10% discount on power tools and
shipping was $697.
I'm pretty happy about the price. Here's hoping that I'm going to be
happy about the saw!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg D.

Hi Frank,

Very few people answered your question about the quality/opinions of
the saw you want to buy.

I worked during WW shows on a few of those hybrid cabinet saws. All I
can say is they performed as well as a contractor saw because... they
are contractor table saw in the first place.

The only added benefit is the fact your get a cabinet and it's much
better for dust collection (a bit quieter too). Aside from that, you
won't get more benefits...

If you want a little bit more, you gotta upgrade to a "real" cabinet
saw but that's another story...

Greg D.

On 2 May 2006 09:26:04 -0700, "Frank" wrote:

I'm putting together my first workshop for doing crafts/furniture and I
am in the process of researching table saws.

I saw a really good deal on the Delta Hybrid table saw with a
biesemeyer fence (model 36-717) for about $600 (shipping is another
$100). This seems like a really good deal. But I've seen a number
of reviews in both directions on this saw (maybe the older reviews are
more negative than the newer).

I'm looking for opinions about this from people that actually have
experience with this saw one way or the other.

Also, are there any options in a similar price bracket that are as good
or better?

Thans for your advice.
Frank

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank

Thats basically what I thought. I liked this saw for a couple of
reasons tho. For the money ($600) I got an upgraded fence (biesemeyer)
and the side table.

Also the motor seems *slightly* upgraded from Delta's typical
contractor saws - this one is *supposedly* 1 3/4 horse as opposed to 1
or 1 1/2. I'm not sure whether the 1/4 horse difference would ever be
noticeable tho.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Frank" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thats basically what I thought. I liked this saw for a couple of
reasons tho. For the money ($600) I got an upgraded fence (biesemeyer)
and the side table.

Also the motor seems *slightly* upgraded from Delta's typical
contractor saws - this one is *supposedly* 1 3/4 horse as opposed to 1
or 1 1/2. I'm not sure whether the 1/4 horse difference would ever be
noticeable tho.

Keep in mind that a Beis Fence costs about $300+, retail. Subtract that
from the price you are paying and that may indicate the money you are
spending for the saw. Its a $300 saw with a $300 fence.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank

Thats the retail price for the fence. The retail price for the saw is
*much* higher (over 1K).

Fact is delta owns beismeiyer and their cost to offer it as a fence are
probably no higher (or not too much higher) than their other fences.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dale

Hello to the group. From a frequent reader but infrequent poster.

Good catch. Is this normal for Amazon to do things like this?
Meaning discount an item close to $350? I like good bargains, but
when I see something like this (unless it's a closeout), my 'too good
to be true' hinky feeling feelers start to go bonkers. I'm thinking
of taking the saw I just bought back to buy one of these, but I keep
asking myself what's the catch?

Cheers,

Dale

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Frank" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thats the retail price for the fence. The retail price for the saw is
*much* higher (over 1K).

Fact is delta owns beismeiyer and their cost to offer it as a fence are
probably no higher (or not too much higher) than their other fences.

Correct, but still I suspect the best part of the saw is the fence.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank

Based on what? Whats your angle Leon?
Are you saying this is a bad investment on my part? based on what
knowledge?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank

Dale,

I was worried about the same thing (thus my post). but everywhere else
I've looked, this saw is selling for over $900. I don't know how or
why Amazon has it so much cheaper, but there it is.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels

"Frank" wrote in message
ups.com...
Dale,

I was worried about the same thing (thus my post). but everywhere else
I've looked, this saw is selling for over $900. I don't know how or
why Amazon has it so much cheaper, but there it is.

There was some discussion on this topic a few months ago. Apparently Amazon
and a few other online sellers have some mad sales now and then. If you are
patient, you can get some major discounts now and then. It ain't a
conspiracy. It is standard operating procedure for some online gieants.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dale

That's good to know. When I finally get all my pennies together for a
jointer and planer I'll keep watch. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack

I picked up a DJ-20 for $1179.00 with free shipping Feb 4 this year.
They gave me a free Dewalt sawzall with it (too bad I already have 2
sawzalls).

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Frank" wrote in message
Based on what? Whats your angle Leon?
Are you saying this is a bad investment on my part? based on what
knowledge?

What Leon is saying is in your favor ... and a practical way to look at the
price. Considering that the biggest single improvement you can make to the
utility of a table saw is a good fence system, the Beis, an excellent fence,
makes your purchase particularly worthwhile at that price.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank

I Didnt mean to sound confrontational, it sounded more like he was
saying the saw was crap and most of the cost of the saw was in the
fence (though yes, the fence is vitally important). If I misunderstood
you Leon, I am sorry.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie H.

I do not think there is any need to defend the honor of a table saw LOL, or
to take swipes at someone else's tools. If this particular saw can be
delivered to the door for under $700 it is a tremendous value. As I said
before it is closer to a contractor saw than it is to a cabinet saw, but
IMHO it competes head to head with the high end contractor saws which are
excellent tools but cost $1000 + when equipped with a Beis fence. I think
there is a lot of bang for the buck when you can catch this saw on sale at
Amazon. If I had to pay full retail I would probably lean towards the
Grizzly Hybrid because I think the bang for the buck would be better there.

Regards,
Charlie

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank

lol, Indeed I wasnt *defending* the honor of the table saw.
Especially since I haven't used it yet! :-)

Its just difficult to gauge the weight of someone's "reviews" on the
internet without knowing where they are coming from. Again, I really
wasnt trying to be confrontational - just wondering where Leon was
coming from.
We can let that drop...

As for the saw - I am going to need a dado set and probably a new blade
yes? What should I be looking for? The freud website recommended thin
kerf blades for this "underpowered" saw. Is that the common consensus?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi Guys

I just caught on to this deal on Amazon and started doing some research
on the saw. I currently run a Ryobi BT3100 with which I have been
realtively happy. However, it requires constant tinkering to keep in
alignment and seems to slow a little on some ripping operations
(admittedly could be the power at outlet as much as the saw - a problem
currently being addressed!)

In any event, I have been thinking about a cabinet saw (probably the
Griz 1023). Do you feel the 36-717 is enough of an upgrade on the
BT3100 that I would notice a lot of difference, or am i better to wait
and either get the Griz when I have the cash or maybe look for a used 2
or 3hp cabinet saw? At a hair less than 700 bucks, this sure seems
like a deal, but I have long ago learned that sometimes its worth
paying more for the right tool in the first place than going through a
series of upgrades. This is purely for hobby woodworking, maybe 10-15
bigger projects per year.

Thanks for the advice.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Subject

Jack up a good fence and drive anything under it that calls itself a
table saw and you will be happy.

IMHO, the Delta hybrid probably exceeds that definition.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Frank" wrote in message
ups.com...
Dale,

I was worried about the same thing (thus my post). but everywhere else
I've looked, this saw is selling for over $900. I don't know how or
why Amazon has it so much cheaper, but there it is.

If you see it for $900 and $600, it is obviously being over priced by some.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Frank" wrote in message
oups.com...
Based on what? Whats your angle Leon?

Based on the fact theat the Beis is "one" of the best fences that money can
buy. I seriousely doubt that this particular saw is the best that money can
buy.

Are you saying this is a bad investment on my part? based on what
knowledge?

No. If you buy an inexpensive new car and included in the price you get
front and rear spoilers. Does it handle any better?
I am just saying that half the money that you are spending on that saw is
probably going towards the fence. What the fence costs Delta makes no
difference since you cannot buy the saw for the same price Delta pays for
it. Just because Delta or B&D owns Biesemeyer this does not mean that Delta
does not pay Biesemeyer some mark up on cost. All things being equal, the
fence and saw are probably equal in cost to Delta.

If this saw will be an upgrade for you, you will probably initially be happy
with it. I used to be happy with my $375 saw with its added on $275 fence,
and then one day I was not.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Frank" wrote in message
ups.com...
I Didnt mean to sound confrontational, it sounded more like he was
saying the saw was crap and most of the cost of the saw was in the
fence (though yes, the fence is vitally important). If I misunderstood
you Leon, I am sorry.

With your opening comment, Is the Delta Hybrid really bad? I thought you
may have been looking for possible problems that the saw may have. The saw
offers a darn good fence which will be beneficial when ripping boards. The
fence does not improve power, durability, crosscut accuracy, etc.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Frank" wrote in message
oups.com...

Snip

As for the saw - I am going to need a dado set and probably a new blade
yes? What should I be looking for? The freud website recommended thin
kerf blades for this "underpowered" saw. Is that the common consensus?

Something else to chew on. LOL..
I have owned a TS or two for almost 25 years. My first was a cast iron
table Craftsman with a "1" hp motor. Like most every one else I tried this
blade and that blade over and over. Basically, cheaper ones and mostly thin
kerf. Sill I continued to look for the better blade. This went on for
probably 7 or 8 years. Then one day while at my local resharpening shop I
inquired about who makes a good combination blade. I was handed a
Systematic combo with regular kerf and 50 teeth. I immediately questioned
if a regular kerf would be a wise choice. I was told that I would have to
push the wood a bit slower but I would be very happy with the blade. For
the next 9 or 10 years I was very happy with and only used that single
blade.
Cuts were very smooth, accurate, and flat. That "1" hp motor was not under
powered for that particular regular kerf blade.
Today I use a regular kerf Forrest WWII on a Jet cabinet saw.

Basically, if you buy a premium quality regular kerf blade it will last you
for many years and deliver better results than a thin kerf blade.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Henderson

On Thu, 04 May 2006 05:15:50 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

Jack up a good fence and drive anything under it that calls itself a
table saw and you will be happy.

Oh, I wouldn't go that far. I've seen plenty of saws that no fence on
the planet could save.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve W

"Frank" wrote in message
oups.com...
Nice catch Steve! They raised the price, then lowered it again...
don't have any idea why.
At any rate, I decided to push the button!

Oh well - its only money! :-)

I just looked and the 36-717 is back to 949.00. Hopefully you got the saw
for the lower price.

Now the 36-715 is going for 559.00, also a great price. I have got to stop
torturing myself checking saw prices.

=Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank

I did end up getting it for 649 - minus $64 for the TOOLS10R promotion
(which ends today).
ABF is supposed to deliver on Wednesday.

Posted to rec.woodworking
JD

On Wed, 03 May 2006 22:07:58 -0700, ianodwyer wrote:

[...]

The Delta is definitely an improvement on the BT3000. I don't know about
the BT3100. I literally broke mine. The Delta is heavy and solid and
with the blade below the table top will serve as a work table too. In
conuter point I did run into quality control problems that required
replacement parts for both the fence and one of the cast iron table leaves.

JD