Posted to rec.woodworking
Don

Default A Woodburning Stove

Hi all,
I've recently moved to a northern state, after 40 years in soutwest Florida,
and I'm going to build a brand new workshop from scratch, about 24' x 36'.
I'm drawing it up in AutoCAD right now and I'm presently considering the
location of a woodburning stove in the shop to keep it warm and as a means
of disposing of cut-off material.

A 24'x36' shop is not the biggest shop in the world and it seems you tend to
grow into the space you're allocated so I'm trying to figure out the things
that might effect the location of the stove.

The shop will also be airconditioned, it will also have a trussed roof with
a 6/12 pitch, 2x6 walls 10' high, with 1/2" plywood & vinyl lap siding
exterior, R19 and 1/2" plywood interior walls, drywall ceiling with R30, a
16'x8' overhead door, 1 or 2 3' service doors, several windows.

Should the stove be located toward the middle of the space to provide an
evenness to the heat distribution or should it be located close to an
exterior wall to facilitate a chimney pipe that is not 2 miles long?

Decisions, decisions.....LOL

Any suggestions are 'preciated.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Don wrote:
Hi all,
I've recently moved to a northern state, after 40 years in soutwest Florida,

Snip

Any suggestions are 'preciated.

I just moved *back* to where people talk normal, and the dictate of my
stove was a pre-existing hole from a wall-mount gas furnace. The stove
was in the back corner of the shop, but with the insulation you've got,
you can turn that shop into a sauna. In order to help move the warm
air around in my shop, I just used a fan I had and put it behind/below
the stove and turned it on.

There are fire issues with stoves, and care is obviously needed, but I
loved my wood stove, so much that I brought it back with me to
Louisiana. Why, you might ask? The cabinet saw, jointer and bandsaw
were the only other really heavy things I had, and I just wanted to
make sure I felt like I had done some real work. After moving that
joker around, I did.

Good luck, and wear layers

-Phil Crow

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pop

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...
The height of your pipe will probably need to be the same no
matter
where you put it because the codes will most likely require it
to be a
certain height above the ridge. Check with building dept. on
that.

To me the best place would be somewhere close to the ridge so
you won't
have to have guy lines supporting the chimney outside. If you
are not
having any interior walls I would put it near a gable end wall
close to
the ridge. If you put it in the middle and then decide to move
it you
will have to fix the hole in the roof first.

That makes a lot of sense. Next, when I had mine, I used an old
forced air furnace fan to distribute the heat more evenly. In my
case I had a nice flat stove top to set it on, but that means you
must never forget to turn it on or you might melt it! A large
lovered grill in front of the fan does a good job of dispersing
the air in a wide pattern (think I used one from an old space
heater), and builds the back-pressure the fan needs to work
efficiently. ymmv of course as they create a little air movement
noise also.

NOTE: The local fire department coined it as an "incinerator"
rather than a wood stove. I guess that was good; never really
understood.

Pop

Posted to rec.woodworking
Wilson

End wall location will set up convectionto the other end and keep it out of
the way.
Put some brick or cement board behind it so you can keep it close to the
wall.
Keep the flue inside to keep the flue temp up and reduce creosote deposits,
uninsulated for the first few feet, to catch some heat from it. Insulate
with good pipe through the ceiling and roof and use a screened cap.
Lots of stoves have built in fans, which I think raise efficiency.
A smaller stove burning with lots of air is more efficient than a big stove
choked down, but takes more attention.
Raising the stove door to waist level makes loading and cleaning much more
pleasant!
Put the stove in after inspection, to save hassles from the inspector gang!
Look for used stoves/inserts. Around here, they are almost given away when
people remodel or find out how much work wood can be.
Cut some hardwood firewood a year ahead, so it will burn well and cleanly.
In my opinion, your only rela danger is dropping hot coals into piles of
sawdust, so keep the floor clean around the stove and have a clear path out
when carrying ashes.
If you get a stove with an ashpan, you can take out the pan and build an ash
dump with an outside access. Cleanup is a PITA, so this would revolutionize
your system! You'll have a plate over the hole in the bottom of the stove
to block air when not cleaning.
Wilson

"Don" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Guess who

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 12:15:40 GMT, "Don"
wrote:

A 24'x36' shop is not the biggest shop in the world and it seems you tend to
grow into the space you're allocated so I'm trying to figure out the things
that might effect the location of the stove.

The shop will also be airconditioned, it will also have a trussed roof with
a 6/12 pitch, 2x6 walls 10' high, with 1/2" plywood & vinyl lap siding
exterior, R19 and 1/2" plywood interior walls, drywall ceiling with R30, a
16'x8' overhead door, 1 or 2 3' service doors, several windows.

When you're done, build one for your tools, and I'll move in.

An airtight in one corner will do nicely. If I move in I'd prefer gas
though.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bremen68

First allow me to say YOU SUCK. And I say that in only the purest
feelings of jealousy.

I have a small wood/coal stove in the middle of a side wall of my shop,
it's a little pot bellied number that stands about three feet tall. I
set a fan behind it to move the air a bit and it heats the shop up
nicely.

My air conditioning system is a three stage....I can open 1, 2, or 3
windows. ;-)

You'll probably get a variety of answers, but the best place IMHO would
be a corner. That placement will limit the amount of "dead space" that
you'll have around it. Putting in the middle of an end wall pretty
much chews that straight area up into two smaller pieces that require
gaps on either side.

You'll have a longer chimney run outside but the benefit probably
offsets that.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Good luck.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Wilson" wrote in message
k.net...
End wall location will set up convectionto the other end and keep it out
of the way.
Put some brick or cement board behind it so you can keep it close to the
wall.
Keep the flue inside to keep the flue temp up and reduce creosote
deposits, uninsulated for the first few feet, to catch some heat from it.

The end makes a lot of sense to me too. Worst case scenario is a small fan
to help move some air. It is fairly easy to move a saw a few inches, move a
jointer to the opposite wall, or change the clearance around a bench. You
don't easily move wood burning stoves and the flue for them. Sitting in the
middle of the room may turn out to be a huge PITA some day.

As for construction and clearances, your local building codes and insurance
company will have something to say about it. I'd go with masonry on the
wall, at least a few feet to each side and above the stove.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Don Dando

Default Woodbruning stove.

I have some suggestions for your new shop, but your email address rejected.

Don Dando

"Don" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Pop" wrote in message

That makes a lot of sense. Next, when I had mine, I used an old forced
air furnace fan to distribute the heat more evenly. In my case I had a
nice flat stove top to set it on, but that means you must never forget to
turn it on or you might melt it! A large lovered grill in front of the
fan does a good job of dispersing the air in a wide pattern (think I used
one from an old space heater), and builds the back-pressure the fan needs
to work efficiently. ymmv of course as they create a little air movement
noise also.

Get one of the heat recovery units that fit in the pipe and turn on
thermostatically.

Posted to rec.woodworking
warbler

Don wrote:
[...]

I didn't think anyone moved from Florida back North. Welcome the the
blue states!

If you haven't picked a specfic stove, last year I put a Jotul stove in
my shop. I replaced a cheapo used stove I found at a garage sale. The
Jotul is top notch, easy to install and I was able to get temperatures
of 600 degrees on it and it retain its heat almost through the night.
Really helped when I needed to do a glue up.

Posted to rec.woodworking
mike hide

"Don" wrote in message
[...]

same size as mine ,mine looks like a barn ,with a gambrell roof . this roof
design give me almost as much room upstairs as downstairs and 7 foot
headroom to boot .It is worth thinking about ,all that crap you have lying
about that you need but hardly ever use and taking up valuable shop space is
out out of sight and upstairs . If you are interested email me and I will
send pics

Any suggestions are 'preciated.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Henry St.Pierre

"warbler" wrote in
ups.com:

Don wrote:
[...]

I'm going to get one. Will help with my lead casting.
Thanks,
Hank
Posted to rec.woodworking
Randy Dickinson

Hello,

I have about the same size garage (24x36) with a wood stove, it is an
old Montgomery Wards with a sheet metal box around it and a fan built
in that blows air out of the stove into the working area. This fan is
fairly effective. I also put in a ceiling gas furnace with an
centrally located cold air intake, and "octopus" hot air vents around
the perimeter of the shop all in the ceiling. Now when I use the wood
stove, I turn on just the filter/blower unit of the furnace and it
nicely picks up the hot air from the wood stove blower and distributes
the heat evenly in the shop. This is noticably better than the fan on
the stove by a big factor. I also put a filter in the return air
filter of the furnace to use an air cleaner for the whole shop when
there is dust in the air, this also works pretty well. You may be able
to use this idea with your AC system for distributing the heat from
your wood stove. I often just use the gas furnace when I do not want
to mess with the wood stove. This also allows me to keep heat in the
shop after I leave when doing finishing, etc.

Take care,

Randy Dickinson
Posted to rec.woodworking
Don

"Randy Dickinson" wrote
I often just use the gas furnace when I do not want
to mess with the wood stove. This also allows me to keep heat in the
shop after I leave when doing finishing, etc.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Unfortunately, after I made the first post the ball n chain told me that a
wood stove wouldn't work because I'd have to make sure there would be heat
all night long cause our 2 dogs would be staying in the shop.

This is a brand new house and she doesn't want the dogs in there, go figure.
So I guess I'm gonna have some sort of gas heater/stove in there and I'll
save the cut-offs for the firepit in the backyard.

Thanks again, I'll post pix of the shop when its done.
I can't really believe I'm gonna do this, its something I've waited my whole
life for, and thats been a l-o-n-g time.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

On 4/27/2006 11:38 PM Don mumbled something about the following:
"Randy Dickinson" wrote
I often just use the gas furnace when I do not want
to mess with the wood stove. This also allows me to keep heat in the
shop after I leave when doing finishing, etc.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Unfortunately, after I made the first post the ball n chain told me that a
wood stove wouldn't work because I'd have to make sure there would be heat
all night long cause our 2 dogs would be staying in the shop.

This is a brand new house and she doesn't want the dogs in there, go figure.
So I guess I'm gonna have some sort of gas heater/stove in there and I'll
save the cut-offs for the firepit in the backyard.

Thanks again, I'll post pix of the shop when its done.
I can't really believe I'm gonna do this, its something I've waited my whole
life for, and thats been a l-o-n-g time.

Get a pellet stove instead of a gas heater. It'll run all night (up to
3 days) on 40 lb of pellets ($5).

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"Odinn" wrote in message

Get a pellet stove instead of a gas heater. It'll run all night (up to
3 days) on 40 lb of pellets ($5).

Yikes! I don't know much about pellet stoves myself, but a couple of my
neighbors have them and they don't get anywhere near that kind of heating
out of their stoves. I supposed maybe throttled way back to smolder level
it might go 3 days, but I'd really have to question its ability to really
heat at that rate. One of them was really bemoaning the meteoric rise in
the price of pellets this year too. I don't know what he was used to
paying, or what he considers a "high" price to be today, just that he
whinned and cried quite a bit.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

On 4/28/2006 7:30 AM Mike Marlow mumbled something about the following:
"Odinn" wrote in message

Get a pellet stove instead of a gas heater. It'll run all night (up to
3 days) on 40 lb of pellets ($5).

Yikes! I don't know much about pellet stoves myself, but a couple of my
neighbors have them and they don't get anywhere near that kind of heating
out of their stoves. I supposed maybe throttled way back to smolder level
it might go 3 days, but I'd really have to question its ability to really
heat at that rate. One of them was really bemoaning the meteoric rise in
the price of pellets this year too. I don't know what he was used to
paying, or what he considers a "high" price to be today, just that he
whinned and cried quite a bit.

Around here, a pellet stove can easily do 3 days. Our coldest night
last winter was 17F, and it was 50F that day, 25F that night, 55F the
next day, 33F the next night, so it can turn off for several hours
during those 3 days

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Odinn" wrote in message

Around here, a pellet stove can easily do 3 days. Our coldest night last
winter was 17F, and it was 50F that day, 25F that night, 55F the next day,
33F the next night, so it can turn off for several hours during those 3
days

I see now. Around here (ne CT) in winter, the high is usually lower than
your lows. The pellet users here use a bag a day or so.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Don" wrote in message

Unfortunately, after I made the first post the ball n chain told me that a
wood stove wouldn't work because I'd have to make sure there would be heat
all night long cause our 2 dogs would be staying in the shop.

The right sized stove can last all night. 12 to 18 hours is possible.
Problem is, what do you do if you want to go away for the weekend?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ross Hebeisen

ever think about an outside wood furnace?
heats from the outside in. check out
www.centralboiler.com