Posted to rec.woodworking
Wilson

Default A Woodburning Stove

End wall location will set up convectionto the other end and keep it out of
the way.
Put some brick or cement board behind it so you can keep it close to the
wall.
Keep the flue inside to keep the flue temp up and reduce creosote deposits,
uninsulated for the first few feet, to catch some heat from it. Insulate
with good pipe through the ceiling and roof and use a screened cap.
Lots of stoves have built in fans, which I think raise efficiency.
A smaller stove burning with lots of air is more efficient than a big stove
choked down, but takes more attention.
Raising the stove door to waist level makes loading and cleaning much more
pleasant!
Put the stove in after inspection, to save hassles from the inspector gang!
Look for used stoves/inserts. Around here, they are almost given away when
people remodel or find out how much work wood can be.
Cut some hardwood firewood a year ahead, so it will burn well and cleanly.
In my opinion, your only rela danger is dropping hot coals into piles of
sawdust, so keep the floor clean around the stove and have a clear path out
when carrying ashes.
If you get a stove with an ashpan, you can take out the pan and build an ash
dump with an outside access. Cleanup is a PITA, so this would revolutionize
your system! You'll have a plate over the hole in the bottom of the stove
to block air when not cleaning.
Wilson

"Don" wrote in message
Hi all,
I've recently moved to a northern state, after 40 years in soutwest
Florida, and I'm going to build a brand new workshop from scratch, about
24' x 36'.
I'm drawing it up in AutoCAD right now and I'm presently considering the
location of a woodburning stove in the shop to keep it warm and as a means
of disposing of cut-off material.

A 24'x36' shop is not the biggest shop in the world and it seems you tend
to grow into the space you're allocated so I'm trying to figure out the
things that might effect the location of the stove.

The shop will also be airconditioned, it will also have a trussed roof
with a 6/12 pitch, 2x6 walls 10' high, with 1/2" plywood & vinyl lap
siding exterior, R19 and 1/2" plywood interior walls, drywall ceiling with
R30, a 16'x8' overhead door, 1 or 2 3' service doors, several windows.

Should the stove be located toward the middle of the space to provide an
evenness to the heat distribution or should it be located close to an
exterior wall to facilitate a chimney pipe that is not 2 miles long?

Decisions, decisions.....LOL

Any suggestions are 'preciated.