Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Default Poll: Feedback/opinions on CNC router kit idea

Background:

A friend who saw the 3-1/2 axis CNC joinery machine I'm building
suggested that it might be a good idea to offer a 3-axis version of
the machine in kit form. It would be identical to the joinery machine
except that the z-axis could not be tilted.

The machine would use four 200 inch*ounce stepper motors producing 400
half-steps per revolution to drive 3/8"-12 TPI Acme lead screws - two
motors on the x-axis and one on each of the y- and z-axis. This
results in a linear step size of 1/4800" and (ignoring frictional
losses) increases the "oomph" of the 200 oz*in steppers by a factor of
12. Speed of movement will be limited by the speed of the controlling
PC; but 5"/sec is probably not an unreasonable expectation for
moderately slow machines.

The nominal work space (the actual range of movement will be larger)
is 12" x 12" x 4" (x, y, z).

There are four main groups of parts involved: (1) The wooden
structure, (2) The electricals (a controller box that plugs into a PC
printer port and provides power to the steppers - and the four stepper
motors), (3) the collection of hardware (bolts, washers, nuts, rails,
bearings, etc.), and (4) software to convert drawing (DXF) files to
CNC command files, and software that reads the command files and
communicates with the controller box to produce stepper activity.

Installing the software is a matter of downloading and un-zipping the
two packages. One of the packages requires registration and a $60
registration fee - and doing a fill-in-the-blanks configuration. I
don't provide either package; but feel that the package which requires
registration is a bargain.

Assembling the structure is quick and easy (15-30 minutes with an
allen wrench).

Assembling the controller box is probably an all-day job for most
people. It involves drilling, soldering, tapping holes, and a bit of
screwdriver work.

Some of the hardware requires cutting, drilling, and tapping metal and
plastic blanks. Most of these operations don't require what I think of
as advanced skills; but I'm aware that there may be woodworkers with
no metalworking experience at all. There is perhaps a day's work
involved.

My questions:

* Would anyone be interested in such a small machine?

* Should I expect kit builders to assemble the controller or should I
pre-assemble it and increase the price to include that labor - or
should I offer this as an option?

* Should I expect kit builders to do the preparatory operations on the
hardware, should I do that myself and build it into the kit price, or
should I offer this as an option?

* Should I discard the kit idea altogether and just offer finished
packages?

* Any other thoughts / suggestions?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

On 3/13/2006 4:05 AM Morris Dovey mumbled something about the following:
[...]

Offer all 3

1) complete kit (I'm interested in that)
2) partially assembled kit (for those who don't like fiddling with elect)
3) fully assembled (for those that want it now and have no patience for
assembly)

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Just personally, I think it would matter how technical the work would
be before I would jump into a kit like that. It doesn't sound too bad
the way you describe it.

So that would lead to the age old question: what is the value of the
completed machine compared to the finished machine? If the kit only
saves me 25%, I would probably rather have you build and most
importantly WARRANT your work. That would certainly be easier on both
of us than endless frutrating phone calls back and forth only to find
that the instructions were correct, the assembly was correct, but one
of the parts was defective.

I think you are correct in wondering that some/many would be
uncomfortable drilling, shaping, tapping, connecting and any other
processes that come along in the project might be more than they want
to tackle. Even if they can do it, they may not want to. A lot of
folks would rather be working on projects rather than building tools.

Robert

What are your target price parameters on this?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

Default Feedback/opinions on CNC router kit idea

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
[...]

I all depends on who you plan to market it too. Projected price point.
Home hobbyist
Serious home hobbyist
Small cabinet shop
Custom cabinet shop
Production cabinet shop
Small, medium or large commission furniture/custom woodworking shop

Each has a point the machine will cease to have value.
For me, I rarely shy from a tool due to its cost/value. That said, I want
multi router but no matter how extreme I stretch my justifications, I can't
make it fly. I am planing on making my own in the near future.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
Sailaway

nailshooter41 penned the following:
I think you are correct in wondering that some/many would be
uncomfortable drilling, shaping, tapping, connecting and any other
processes that come along in the project might be more than they want
to tackle. Even if they can do it, they may not want to. A lot of
folks would rather be working on projects rather than building tools.

Maybe they would want some help. I am new at fine woodworking, but I
love building and repairing machines and tools and is something I have
experience with. Hey Morris, want a field tech rep to assist builders?
The software part is, unfortunately, something I do not have experience
with.
Personally, I would want a larger cnc router kit than you are building.

Posted to rec.woodworking
hex

Morris Dovey wrote:

The nominal work space (the actual range of movement will be larger)
is 12" x 12" x 4" (x, y, z).

I'm not sure about 12x12. 16.25 x 16.25 would probably have a larger
market ( 16" panels could be machined). Also for many many turners the
largest swing over bed would max out at 16" so this would allow
recesses for inlays etc. I would guess there is more market for larger
x,y with lesser z.

Having done some heavy work with stepper motors in the past (11ton
positioned to 0.5mm in x,y, over an 8' x6' throw) I've always wanted a
lightweight toy to play with in the shop by have never had the time to
run down the details nor find motors and controllers that don't cost a
kings ransom. Another market you may find well served would be folks
who want to put in some sort of diamond cutter to do custom glass work.

hex
-30-

Posted to rec.woodworking
mike hide

[...]

Ball park prices please ???

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

(in
) said:

| Just personally, I think it would matter how technical the work
| would be before I would jump into a kit like that. It doesn't
| sound too bad the way you describe it.

I don't think it'd be hard for the average person. In truth, I don't
think that these things will sell to 'average' people. My guess is
that buyers will be tinkerers and explorers and people who like to
expand their personal horizons.

| So that would lead to the age old question: what is the value of
| the completed machine compared to the finished machine? If the kit
| only saves me 25%, I would probably rather have you build and most
| importantly WARRANT your work. That would certainly be easier on
| both of us than endless frutrating phone calls back and forth only
| to find that the instructions were correct, the assembly was
| correct, but one of the parts was defective.

Yup. I'd be comfortable with a warranty that says the machine will cut
a square square and a circular circle in a supplied piece of baltic
birch immediately after correct assembly and setup.

After that, all bets are off because /everyone/ will be using the
machine to do stuff they've never done before. Think about that a bit.
I have and it's both exciting and frightening. _Somebody_ is going to
cut titanium on their machine! Will the machine survive that? I dunno,
but I'm pretty sure I don't want to get caught up in a ****ing match
if it doesn't...

I'm not joking. Today I routed aluminum parts for the first time (and
broke three solid carbide bits before I got it right - follow the link
in my sig for photos) with a machine intended for routing wood and
MDF. Whose fault is it that the bits broke?

Still, your point is a good one. Let's really open Pandora's box: post
the warranty you'd like to have and let's add and subtract here on the
wreck. Keep in mind that the warranty _will_ affect the price.

| I think you are correct in wondering that some/many would be
| uncomfortable drilling, shaping, tapping, connecting and any other
| processes that come along in the project might be more than they
| want to tackle. Even if they can do it, they may not want to. A
| lot of folks would rather be working on projects rather than
| building tools.

Yup again. I'm already convinced of that. See my response to Odinn.

| What are your target price parameters on this?

Under US$2K - but that could be affected by the extent of the
warranty...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
[...]

Oh yeah, one more thought. Any chance of making this a bit larger, say
18x18 or 24x24?

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Sailaway (in ) said:

| nailshooter41 penned the following:
| I think you are correct in wondering that some/many would be
| uncomfortable drilling, shaping, tapping, connecting and any other
| processes that come along in the project might be more than they
| want to tackle. Even if they can do it, they may not want to. A
| lot of folks would rather be working on projects rather than
| building tools.
|
| Maybe they would want some help. I am new at fine woodworking, but I
| love building and repairing machines and tools and is something I
| have experience with. Hey Morris, want a field tech rep to assist
| builders? The software part is, unfortunately, something I do not
| have experience with.
| Personally, I would want a larger cnc router kit than you are
| building.

Everybody will want some help. Everybody will _need_ some help.
Somewhere down the road I may be able to afford a savvy technical
resource; but doday it's just me.

The software part is important. That's what drives the first letter of
'CNC'.

There are larger machines already on the market - check out the
ShopBot for a reasonably-priced larger CNC machine.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Good feedback so far - thanks to all who've responded!

Yesterday I routed aluminum for the first time and added a couple of
pix to the web page (link in sig). As I was watching the 'Bot cut, it
ocurred to me that the small machine would actually do a better job on
this operation because of the smaller step size. Still, for a first
effort it came out fairly well.

Tech note: the cut was made with the spindle running at 4000 RPM with
x- and y-axis feed at 0.125"/sec and z-axis feed set at 0.01"/sec -
the bit was a 3-flute 1/8" solid carbide up-spiral.

Non-tech note: I broke three bits before I got the feed/speed
combination right. :-(

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/JBot.html

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Morris Dovey wrote:
Odinn (in ) said:

| Offer all 3
|
| 1) complete kit (I'm interested in that)
| 2) partially assembled kit (for those who don't like fiddling with
| elect) 3) fully assembled (for those that want it now and have no
| patience for assembly)

[1] is easy to provide.

[2] is probably a must. See below.

[3] probably will be with electronics assembled and everything else
ready to bolt together so as to minimize risk of shipping damage.

I think I need to put a photo of the control box (without the cover
off) on my web page so that people can judge whether or not they want
to do this assembly themselves. I didn't think it was difficult; but
then I'm a computer geek and ham radio type - I might not be the best
test case. :-)

There is one _really_ good reason to provide all the various forms of kit.

Some people have the skill-set _and_the_tools_ to do all the prep work.

Some people have the skills, but *don't* have the requisite tools. Having
to buy tooling for "probable one-time use" _greatly_ increases the 'effective
cost' of the kit. This will 'price it out of the market' for a fair number
of these people.

Some people know they don't have the skills needed -- having the option of
buying with that work 'already done' means that they _are_ still a potential
customer. Again, you write off that section of the market, if you don't
cater to their limitations.

Then there are the ones who "don't know that they don't know" how to do
the things that are required to build the project -- regardless of how basic
those required skills are, there *will* be people who tackle it without
those skills. These are the ones who will drive the 'support' function
crazy (If they' aren't already, that is

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Doug Schultz (in NFERf.142748$H%4.112263@pd7tw2no) said:

| I would be interested in just schematics and software.
| I have dozens of real good steppers and am in the process of
| building my own linear bearings and sleds for the xyz axis'.

I did a Google search on 'stepper controller kit' and got 196000 hits.
Take a short cut - there are some good buys available.

Just make certain that the controller you choose can handle the
steppers you use.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Morris Dovey (in ) said:

| I think I need to put a photo of the control box (with the cover
| off) on my web page so that people can judge whether or not they
| want to do this assembly themselves.

Done. It's not the best of pictures - but then I'm not exactly the
best of photographers. :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Odinn (in ) said:

| Mostly what I'm thinking about is signs and cabinet door panels.

2' x 2' will get you started on signs. If you're able to build a good
reputation for good quality at a good price, you'll know when to get a
bigger machine (and you'll be able to afford it if you plan for that
move from the start!) Murphy's Law applies he people will ask for
signs 50% bigger than whatever size equipment you have...

For cabinet doors a 2' x 3' capability makes more sense (measure your
own overhead cabinet doors!) Beside doors, that size will handle other
cabinet parts - and can handle hinge receses, pilot holes for drawer
slides, and all of the system and construction holes for the
euro-cabinets. Here, too, this is a 'getting-started' size machine. If
it works for you at all, then it won't be long before you'll be
wanting to work on full 4' x 8' sheets with a larger machine.

Both of these applications involve working with sheet goods and so
don't require much z-axis capability - which helps hold the cost down.

A good guesstimator might be to figure $1K/foot of width plus $1K/foot
of length. There's probably a point at which that algorithm breaks
down; but it should work for machines with a small z-axis capability.

| Who knows what else I would think of if I had the capabilities.

I can guarantee that you'll never run out of possibilities. Your "want
to try" list will grow much faster than your machine (regardless of
size and speed) can cut. Eventually, you'll find yourself thinking
about /building/ machines to do operations that aren't
possible/convenient with whatever equipment you have. DAMHIKT :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Best modern Router table Router? [email protected] Woodworking 21 February 24th 05 06:01 AM
2-1/4 or 3 HP router for floating tenons and dovetail jig? Lars Stole Woodworking 10 December 22nd 04 11:41 PM
opinion on craftsman router Ah10201 Woodworking 25 March 5th 04 04:59 PM
Router Cabinet bowhunter Woodworking 8 February 19th 04 04:22 PM
Anyone _not_ like routers? Silvan Woodworking 38 October 28th 03 05:38 AM