Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dremel accessories are expensive - Also, am I on the right track?

I have a book about japanese joinery that I'd been wanting to read for
sometime, but never got round to it. The idea came from visiting the
Van Gough museum in Amsterdam and while everyone was absorbed into the
Van Gough paintings I was absorbed into the minimalist chairs designed
by a japanese guy for the museum (because Van Gough was an admirer of
Japanese culture, they had a Japanese guy design his new museum).

Anyhow, I finally can't wait to make some stuff, and don't have time to
learn joinery, therefore decided to just use the simplest possible
method, and for me that was those L-shaped metal joints and just
screwing them into the wood after drilling holes.

I looked for the cheapest tool I could get and there was a cordless
screw gun that had some drill extensions, so I decided I'll take that
one. I also noticed that the dremels looked the same size or shape but
were a lot more expensive. It then occured to me to ask someone at the
store if the cheapo own brand one (it must be good, it's a good store)
will take the dremel accessories and he said no, so I thought perhaps I
ought to get dremel in case I'll need those. But then decided to have a
look at what those accessories are and I was a little shocked at how
expensive they were, many of them were as expensive (though just one
piece) as that whole screw/drill gun set with all its stuff.

It felt like a rip-off.

I decided since what I liked most was simplicity that I didn't want
anything like that. So I'll just use that own-brand cordless
screw/drill gun, because, after all, all I think I'll ever want will be
to drill holes and put screws into them. I want minimalist designs. (I
plan to buy a basic, manual wood saw, and perhaps after I'd read the
japanese joinery book a set of chisels and a mallet, and other than
drilling, I don't want anything electric. I will never, ever do
anything ornate, all I'll do will be plain).

Am I on the right track?

Sorry for the post if it's not good, and many thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Fri, Feb 24, 2006, 8:24pm (EST-3) doth clameth:
SNIP don't have time to learn SNIP

That pretty well explains everything.

JOAT
If you have something to say, raise your hand.
Then shove it in your mouth.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy

On 24 Feb 2006 20:24:31 -0800, wrote:

[...]

I think you're going to need a hot glue gun to reinforce the L-shaped metal joints. You don't want
it coming apart years down the road when someone sits on the chair.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Locutus

"Roy" wrote in message
[...]

Nah, hot glue is too fancy, I recommend just putting some chewing gun
inbetween the joints before adding your L brackets, that outta hold it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
chuck

Part of the beauty of artistry and craftsmanship is that what appears to
be simple is inherently complex and intricate.

It seems that you are seeking to replicate the simplicity that was
achieved with exquisite skills by using primitive techniques. You are
likely to be disappointed with the results, both aesthetically and
structurally.

To get the books off the floor, you might want to consider other courses
of action.

Chuck
Posted to rec.woodworking

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 24 Feb 2006 20:24:31 -0800, wrote:

I decided since what I liked most was simplicity that I didn't want
anything like that.

So don't have it. Stop buying tools. In particular, stop buying tools
because _tool_makers_ are telling you you need them. Don't you think
they might have a bit of a vested interest there?

Get some hand tools. Go hog-wild on buying hand tools. Get good ones,
get lots of them. You'll still spend less than you would on a Dremel.
This is plenty to start making furniture on the Rietveld
screwed-together-two-by-fours plan (Google up the "Red Blue chair").

Then find some space, then find a real workbench. After that think about
a cordless drill, because drilling is boring and a ten-buck cordless is
insanely cheap. They're lousy screwdrivers though.

There is an awful lot of woodworking you can achieve, and should
attempt, with no more powered tools than this.

I do use a Dremel, or a Dremel copy, from time to time. For small pieces
in stone, glass or eggshell you can't beat them - you need high speeds
in small spaces, which means a powered drill. I certainly have no use
for one in the "workshop" though.

I got this drill/screw gun and I love it. I'll be using metal joints,
which I find easy and quick. I also want to get an electric jigsaw. I
already have a tape measure.

What else could I need? I measure, mark with a pencil, cut with a
jigsaw, and join with screws.

What tool would I need to smooth the surfaces of crosscut wood? is it a
sander or a planer?

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:33:14 GMT, "John Emmons"
wrote:

how long you think you can keep this going...?

you're using some pretty good bait...

Well casioculture posted what appeared to be a fine piece of trolling in
a fountain pen newsgroup a while back, but then he turned out to be keen
and genuine. Be nice to him, we'll have him neandering in no time.

Metal joints look ugly because they're visible. Rietveld (who you really
ought to research) crossed three timbers together and screwed through
them instead. Easy and solid.

The best jigsaw to get is an expensive blue Bosch. They _are_ better
than the cheap ones and cut far more easily and accurately.

For finishing edges, then start with a 1/4 sheet sander (cheap, much
better than a delta sander or a random orbital sander for the same
money). A block plane is also very useful at this level, but a decent
one (Lee Valley) is incomparably better than a Stanley.

NEW Router bits, jigsaw and recip blades, Dremel Acc. - private party [email protected] Woodworking 3 April 22nd 05 04:41 AM
Laminate flooring accessories are too expensive Ikon Home Repair 17 March 1st 05 06:51 AM
Dremel SteveB Metalworking 24 December 7th 04 01:11 AM
Dark Kitchen / Track Lighting? Quidnunc Home Repair 12 January 19th 04 12:32 AM
diy laser steering track adjustment Charles M Atkinson UK diy 14 August 15th 03 09:51 PM