Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce Barnett

Default Dremel accessories are expensive - Also, am I on the righttrack?

writes:

Let's not take things out of context. Japanese joinery is an artisan's
craft and I don't have time to learn it before I do this project today,
hence I'm using drill/screw gun. I have books on the floor, I can't
wait till I master an intricate skill to put them on shelves.

The simplest solution - when I was a student - was to buy concrete
cinder blocks and plain lumber.

Second cheapest is to buy a bookshelf. Some are particle part, with a
cardboard back sheet for stability.

The problem with those l-shaped brackets is that they don't take
twisting stress well. You at LEAST have to put a back behind the
bookshelf, such as a sheet of plywood with a nice grain showing, or
the paper-based backs they use in book cases.

Otherwise, you will load up the bookshelf, and watch as the whole
thing collapses sideways.

Also - you asked about screws - they don't hold particle board well.

Do you want functional and cheap, or do you want something nice to
look at.

For a beginner woodworker, I'd suggest you use dado joints.
Or you buy a bookcase.