Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

Default Dremel accessories are expensive - Also, am I on the right track?

On 24 Feb 2006 20:24:31 -0800, wrote:

I decided since what I liked most was simplicity that I didn't want
anything like that.

So don't have it. Stop buying tools. In particular, stop buying tools
because _tool_makers_ are telling you you need them. Don't you think
they might have a bit of a vested interest there?

Get some hand tools. Go hog-wild on buying hand tools. Get good ones,
get lots of them. You'll still spend less than you would on a Dremel.
This is plenty to start making furniture on the Rietveld
screwed-together-two-by-fours plan (Google up the "Red Blue chair").

Then find some space, then find a real workbench. After that think about
a cordless drill, because drilling is boring and a ten-buck cordless is
insanely cheap. They're lousy screwdrivers though.

There is an awful lot of woodworking you can achieve, and should
attempt, with no more powered tools than this.

I do use a Dremel, or a Dremel copy, from time to time. For small pieces
in stone, glass or eggshell you can't beat them - you need high speeds
in small spaces, which means a powered drill. I certainly have no use
for one in the "workshop" though.