Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy

Default Dremel accessories are expensive - Also, am I on the right track?

On 24 Feb 2006 20:24:31 -0800, wrote:

I have a book about japanese joinery that I'd been wanting to read for
sometime, but never got round to it. The idea came from visiting the
Van Gough museum in Amsterdam and while everyone was absorbed into the
Van Gough paintings I was absorbed into the minimalist chairs designed
by a japanese guy for the museum (because Van Gough was an admirer of
Japanese culture, they had a Japanese guy design his new museum).

Anyhow, I finally can't wait to make some stuff, and don't have time to
learn joinery, therefore decided to just use the simplest possible
method, and for me that was those L-shaped metal joints and just
screwing them into the wood after drilling holes.

I looked for the cheapest tool I could get and there was a cordless
screw gun that had some drill extensions, so I decided I'll take that
one. I also noticed that the dremels looked the same size or shape but
were a lot more expensive. It then occured to me to ask someone at the
store if the cheapo own brand one (it must be good, it's a good store)
will take the dremel accessories and he said no, so I thought perhaps I
ought to get dremel in case I'll need those. But then decided to have a
look at what those accessories are and I was a little shocked at how
expensive they were, many of them were as expensive (though just one
piece) as that whole screw/drill gun set with all its stuff.

It felt like a rip-off.

I decided since what I liked most was simplicity that I didn't want
anything like that. So I'll just use that own-brand cordless
screw/drill gun, because, after all, all I think I'll ever want will be
to drill holes and put screws into them. I want minimalist designs. (I
plan to buy a basic, manual wood saw, and perhaps after I'd read the
japanese joinery book a set of chisels and a mallet, and other than
drilling, I don't want anything electric. I will never, ever do
anything ornate, all I'll do will be plain).

Am I on the right track?

Sorry for the post if it's not good, and many thanks.

I think you're going to need a hot glue gun to reinforce the L-shaped metal joints. You don't want
it coming apart years down the road when someone sits on the chair.