Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

Default Possible interest in short, free NL

I'm kind of trolling--in the sense of asking for bites--on an idea I've been
mulling since I was able to get a web site up and mostly operative.

A weekly newsletter, free to readers (will eventually have some ads from
interested companies, as the online things are not free to me), with a tip
or two each week, along with one tool review--individual tool, not groups.

The NL will go only to subscribers who provide an email address. I might
later ask for a zip code in order to class markets for advertisers, but
probably not.

No spam.

No flash.

Tips may be long or short, depending on available time, my mood and, after a
bit, requests. I may eventually also include responses from readers.

If there's enough interest, both from readers and various companies, I'll
start setting up. If not, not. I anticipate a lot of work, which is fine, as
it's work I enjoy, but you'd basically be looking at a simple HTML document
with no more than half a dozen photos, and a page or so of test, aimed at
quick, informative readability. Nothing fancy, but, I hope, useful.

If it interests you and you don't want to respond online, try me at
charlieself at charlieselfonline.com.
--
Charlie Self
Writer/Photographer

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

That sounds good to me Charlie. Ads would not bother me since you are
providing a service.

"Charles Self" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy

"Charles Self" wrote:

I'm kind of trolling--in the sense of asking for bites--on an idea I've been
mulling since I was able to get a web site up and mostly operative.

A weekly newsletter, free to readers (will eventually have some ads from
interested companies, as the online things are not free to me), with a tip
or two each week, along with one tool review--individual tool, not groups.

snip

What's not to like?

I think you need a stated privacy policy, promising not to sell the
emails or use them for purposes other than the newsletter.

Sounds good to me!
Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

"Leon" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, well I've listened to the complaints--read, actually--about too many
cost. Since the NL will be free, the ads should be less bothersome. I've got
to work out a way to make them visible and useful to the advertisers without
them being overly intrusive to the readers.

I figure it will take me about three to four months to put this together,
along with getting enough material stashed to make it workable and
worthwhile for six months beyond its start.

There's no problem with getting fresh tool tests, but I want the tips to be
up-to-date and not something seen in sixteen books or magazines in the last
six months, too.

The NL is going to require more organization than I've ever had to use
before. But it should be useful.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 14:44:12 GMT, "Charles Self"
wrote:

[...]

Sounds like an interesting idea. Ads shouldn't be an issue, most people
recognize that it costs money to produce something -- if you can get ad
revenue to pay for it rather than making it subscriber supported,that's a
good thing.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Self

alexy wrote:
"Charles Self" wrote:

I'm kind of trolling--in the sense of asking for bites--on an idea I've been
mulling since I was able to get a web site up and mostly operative.

A weekly newsletter, free to readers (will eventually have some ads from
interested companies, as the online things are not free to me), with a tip
or two each week, along with one tool review--individual tool, not groups.

snip

What's not to like?

I think you need a stated privacy policy, promising not to sell the
emails or use them for purposes other than the newsletter.

Sounds good to me!

Having worked on an NL in the field, I know what even the suspicion of
messing with privacy can do. Thus, my privacy policy will be simple:
email addresses of those who joint are for newsletter use only, never
sold, given, traded or otherwise compromised.

I can probably do enough to irritate half my readers within the first
year that I won't need to mess with other things to lose subscribers.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rick M

"Charles Self" wrote

I'm kind of trolling--in the sense of asking for bites--on an idea I've

been
mulling since I was able to get a web site up and mostly operative.

A weekly newsletter, free to readers (will eventually have some ads from
interested companies, as the online things are not free to me), with a tip
or two each week, along with one tool review--individual tool, not groups.

[snip]

I'm all for that Charlie. I'll send a private message with my e-mail address
.... but wanted to publicly support your efforts.

I appreciate you sharing your years of experience as a woodworker,
photographer and writer. While I don't always see things the way you do ...
I look forward to seeing what's on your mind.

Regards,

Rick

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

OK Charlie, the Woodworking Gods voted on it. Sign us up.

JOAT
You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you
"know"?.
- Granny Weatherwax

Posted to rec.woodworking
DonkeyHody

Charlie,
What do I have to lose? Sign me up!

And Thanks, not only for this idea, but for all the time you spend
sharing your knowledge and experience here.

DonkeyHody

Posted to rec.woodworking
evodawg

Charles Self wrote:

[...]

In the words of NIKE! JUST DO IT!

Rich
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm a (relative) newbie...I'll take all the advice I can get! Send it
out!

Posted to rec.woodworking
John Thomas

"Charles Self" wrote in
:

If there's enough interest, both from readers and various companies,
I'll start setting up. If not, not. I anticipate a lot of work, which
is fine, as it's work I enjoy, but you'd basically be looking at a
simple HTML document with no more than half a dozen photos, and a page
or so of test, aimed at quick, informative readability. Nothing fancy,
but, I hope, useful.

If it interests you and you don't want to respond online, try me at
charlieself at charlieselfonline.com.
--
Charlie Self
Writer/Photographer

Charlie,

I'd be interested in this.

--
Regards,

JT
Speaking only for myself....
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article ,
Charles Self wrote:

If there's enough interest, both from readers and various companies, I'll
start setting up. If not, not. I anticipate a lot of work, which is fine, as
it's work I enjoy, but you'd basically be looking at a simple HTML document
with no more than half a dozen photos, and a page or so of test, aimed at
quick, informative readability. Nothing fancy, but, I hope, useful.

I wish you well, but HTML email here is filtered directly to /dev/null/
so unless you're envisioning it as a web page with an emailed URL, I'll
pass.

djb

--
The moral difference between a soldier and a civilian is that the soldier
accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic of which he
Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn

Charles Self wrote:

I'm kind of trolling--in the sense of asking for bites--on an idea I've been
mulling since I was able to get a web site up and mostly operative.

A weekly newsletter, free to readers (will eventually have some ads from
interested companies, as the online things are not free to me), with a tip
or two each week, along with one tool review--individual tool, not groups.

[snip]
Sounds good. I'll even contribute to the Handyman's Club section.
spaz,
jo4hn

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

"J T" wrote in message
OK Charlie, the Woodworking Gods voted on it. Sign us up.

I appreciate it. While those who are emailing privately are about it, please
lose the yahoo.com email address. It doesn't seem to like me, lots of run
time errors, and it won't let me forward emails to a more sensible spot. Try
crself at aoldotcom or russtreflex at aoldotcom

My spam filters will probably catch you, but then I'll catch the spam
filters.

Thanks again, JOAT and all of ya.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

"Rick M" wrote in message

"Charles Self" wrote

I'm kind of trolling--in the sense of asking for bites--on an idea I've

been
mulling since I was able to get a web site up and mostly operative.

A weekly newsletter, free to readers (will eventually have some ads from
interested companies, as the online things are not free to me), with a
tip
or two each week, along with one tool review--individual tool, not
groups.

[snip]

I'm all for that Charlie. I'll send a private message with my e-mail
address
... but wanted to publicly support your efforts.

I appreciate you sharing your years of experience as a woodworker,
photographer and writer. While I don't always see things the way you do
I look forward to seeing what's on your mind.

I'd be upset if there was only MY way of looking at things. I've been wrong
too often...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ken Muldrew

"Charles Self" wrote:

If there's enough interest, both from readers and various companies, I'll
start setting up.

Sign me up.

Ken Muldrew

(remove all letters after y in the alphabet)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
tone.ca...
In article ,
Charles Self wrote:

If there's enough interest, both from readers and various companies, I'll
start setting up. If not, not. I anticipate a lot of work, which is fine,
as
it's work I enjoy, but you'd basically be looking at a simple HTML
document
with no more than half a dozen photos, and a page or so of test, aimed at
quick, informative readability. Nothing fancy, but, I hope, useful.

I wish you well, but HTML email here is filtered directly to /dev/null/
so unless you're envisioning it as a web page with an emailed URL, I'll
pass.

The one email handler I'm looking at most seriously claims the HTML
automatically switches over to plain text. Dunno if that's true, and
probably won't know for a minimum of six or seven weeks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

"jo4hn" wrote in message
Charles Self wrote:

I'm kind of trolling--in the sense of asking for bites--on an idea I've
been mulling since I was able to get a web site up and mostly operative.

A weekly newsletter, free to readers (will eventually have some ads from
interested companies, as the online things are not free to me), with a
tip or two each week, along with one tool review--individual tool, not
groups.

Latest in hammers, claw type, one each?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article ,
Charles Self wrote:

The one email handler I'm looking at most seriously claims the HTML
automatically switches over to plain text. Dunno if that's true, and
probably won't know for a minimum of six or seven weeks.

If you're going to use HTML as the delivery vehicle I seriously
recommend posting a web page and then emailing a link, like
augusthome.com does.

You'll cut your bandwidth requirement way down, and be able to attract
a larger audience, which means an improved ability to attract
advertisers.

I think your concept is great, but that you're considering the wrong
delivery vehicle.

HTML is for web browsers, not email proggies. Email me a link to a web
page, not 500k of HTML and images!

djb

--
"It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 14:54:53 -0600, Dave Balderstone wrote:

If you're going to use HTML as the delivery vehicle I seriously
recommend posting a web page and then emailing a link, like
augusthome.com does.

I agree wholeheartedly. Too many variables in email rendering of HTML;
it never looks good, it often gets (rightly) filtered out by spam-bots,
and it's really trying to force something to be what it's not.

You'll cut your bandwidth requirement way down, and be able to attract
a larger audience, which means an improved ability to attract
advertisers.

Agreed. Also, with any web statistics program, it will let you know
just how many people are reading how much of what parts of your
newsletter, how they got there, where they went, how long they stayed,
and so on. No way to measure that client-side.

I think your concept is great, but that you're considering the wrong
delivery vehicle.

I'd tend to agree.

HTML is for web browsers, not email proggies. Email me a link to a web
page, not 500k of HTML and images!

On that, I definately agree. Although, Dave, the images would
probably be tags to a webserver anyway, so the mail itself should be
small.

Dave Hinz

Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

Dave Balderstone said:

In article ,
Charles Self wrote:

The one email handler I'm looking at most seriously claims the HTML
automatically switches over to plain text. Dunno if that's true, and
probably won't know for a minimum of six or seven weeks.

If you're going to use HTML as the delivery vehicle I seriously
recommend posting a web page and then emailing a link, like
augusthome.com does.

You'll cut your bandwidth requirement way down, and be able to attract
a larger audience, which means an improved ability to attract
advertisers.

I think your concept is great, but that you're considering the wrong
delivery vehicle.

HTML is for web browsers, not email proggies. Email me a link to a web
page, not 500k of HTML and images!

Or at worst, a PDF - preferably downloadable by a link in the email.

Greg G.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Self

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article ,
Charles Self wrote:

The one email handler I'm looking at most seriously claims the HTML
automatically switches over to plain text. Dunno if that's true, and
probably won't know for a minimum of six or seven weeks.

If you're going to use HTML as the delivery vehicle I seriously
recommend posting a web page and then emailing a link, like
augusthome.com does.

You'll cut your bandwidth requirement way down, and be able to attract
a larger audience, which means an improved ability to attract
advertisers.

I think your concept is great, but that you're considering the wrong
delivery vehicle.

HTML is for web browsers, not email proggies. Email me a link to a web
page, not 500k of HTML and images!

How about: www.charlieselfonline.com?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Self

Greg G. wrote:
Dave Balderstone said:

In article ,
Charles Self wrote:

The one email handler I'm looking at most seriously claims the HTML
automatically switches over to plain text. Dunno if that's true, and
probably won't know for a minimum of six or seven weeks.

If you're going to use HTML as the delivery vehicle I seriously
recommend posting a web page and then emailing a link, like
augusthome.com does.

You'll cut your bandwidth requirement way down, and be able to attract
a larger audience, which means an improved ability to attract
advertisers.

I think your concept is great, but that you're considering the wrong
delivery vehicle.

HTML is for web browsers, not email proggies. Email me a link to a web
page, not 500k of HTML and images!

Or at worst, a PDF - preferably downloadable by a link in the email.

OK. That is even easier, I think. I can upload the PDF to my web site,
maybe, and then link to a para in the email NL, which could then remain
about a long paragraph. The fact is, I don't intend any one NL to be
large, something on the order of maybe two to three 8-1/2 x 11 pages,
including no more than six photos, depending on the complexity of the
tip. The tool review should be fairly fast and simple as long as I can
hold to doing an individual tool per review.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , Dave Hinz
wrote:

On that, I definately agree. Although, Dave, the images would
probably be tags to a webserver anyway, so the mail itself should be
small.

Yes, you're right. In fact, if there's advertising involved, they'd
pretty much have to be in order to provide some measurement to the
advertiser.

Your point about about web stats is also well taken.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Hinz

On 21 Dec 2005 13:29:31 -0800, Charlie Self wrote:

Dave Balderstone wrote:

HTML is for web browsers, not email proggies. Email me a link to a web
page, not 500k of HTML and images!

How about: www.charlieselfonline.com?

I've got a webhosting reseller account if you want a domain hosted.
It's a coop deal, I make no money on it (to say the least).

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , Greg G.
wrote:

Or at worst, a PDF - preferably downloadable by a link in the email.

I hate PDF as a delivery vehicle. I'd rather pay to get a printed copy,
'cause I end up printing the frigging thing anyway.

djb

--
The moral difference between a soldier and a civilian is that the soldier
accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic of which he
is a member. The civilian does not. ‹ Robert A. Heinlein

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi

wrote:

[...]

But _that_ is the 'reference implementation' of virus-spreading e-mails.

Many modern browsers will -not-, when processing HTML mail, open links to an
'external to the message' reference.

Charlie, at a minimum, you need to give people an *option* for
HTML mail vs 'plain ASCII'.

And, truthfully, if you want _real _control over the layout, you'd be
best off creating a .pdf and sending _that_.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 22:04:27 -0000, Robert Bonomi wrote:
In article ,
Dave Hinz wrote:

On that, I definately agree. Although, Dave, the images would
probably be tags to a webserver anyway, so the mail itself should be
small.

But _that_ is the 'reference implementation' of virus-spreading e-mails.

I didn't know they had managed to build viruses into images yet.

Many modern browsers will -not-, when processing HTML mail, open links to an
'external to the message' reference.

Well, it's not a link, it's a tagged object, but either way, email is
the way not to do it for a host of reasons.

Charlie, at a minimum, you need to give people an *option* for
HTML mail vs 'plain ASCII'.

Absolutely.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

Dave Hinz said:

I didn't know they had managed to build viruses into images yet.

Actually, I believe Microsoft managed to come up with a JPG algorithm
that was susceptible to viri. Leave it to Bill...

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

Dave Hinz said:

On 21 Dec 2005 13:29:31 -0800, Charlie Self wrote:

How about: www.charlieselfonline.com?

I've got a webhosting reseller account if you want a domain hosted.
It's a coop deal, I make no money on it (to say the least).

Dave

Dave... I believe he already HAS a domain... ;-)

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Dave Hinz said:

I didn't know they had managed to build viruses into images yet.

That started happening about 4 years ago. IIRC one of the news shows like
60 minutes did a piece on it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson

wrote:

[...]

It sounds like fun, Charlie.

Count me in.

Good luck with it.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Thomas Bunetta

"Charles Self" wrote in message
I'm kind of trolling--in the sense of asking for bites--on an idea I've
been mulling since I was able to get a web site up and mostly operative.

snip
Sign me up Charlie!
Tom