Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Hinz

Default Possible interest in short, free NL

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 14:54:53 -0600, Dave Balderstone wrote:

If you're going to use HTML as the delivery vehicle I seriously
recommend posting a web page and then emailing a link, like
augusthome.com does.

I agree wholeheartedly. Too many variables in email rendering of HTML;
it never looks good, it often gets (rightly) filtered out by spam-bots,
and it's really trying to force something to be what it's not.

You'll cut your bandwidth requirement way down, and be able to attract
a larger audience, which means an improved ability to attract
advertisers.

Agreed. Also, with any web statistics program, it will let you know
just how many people are reading how much of what parts of your
newsletter, how they got there, where they went, how long they stayed,
and so on. No way to measure that client-side.

I think your concept is great, but that you're considering the wrong
delivery vehicle.

I'd tend to agree.

HTML is for web browsers, not email proggies. Email me a link to a web
page, not 500k of HTML and images!

On that, I definately agree. Although, Dave, the images would
probably be tags to a webserver anyway, so the mail itself should be
small.

Dave Hinz