Posted to rec.woodworking
Woody

Default Possible interest in short, free NL

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article ,
Charles Self wrote:

The one email handler I'm looking at most seriously claims the HTML
automatically switches over to plain text. Dunno if that's true, and
probably won't know for a minimum of six or seven weeks.

If you're going to use HTML as the delivery vehicle I seriously
recommend posting a web page and then emailing a link, like
augusthome.com does.

You'll cut your bandwidth requirement way down, and be able to attract
a larger audience, which means an improved ability to attract
advertisers.

I think your concept is great, but that you're considering the wrong
delivery vehicle.

HTML is for web browsers, not email proggies. Email me a link to a web
page, not 500k of HTML and images!

djb

Agree wholeheartedly. Put HTML version on your website and text version
in email. Even text mail can support some level of ad sponsorship.

You've probably already thought of this as well, but use some robust
mailing list software (MailMan, MajorDomo, with instruction added at the
bottom of each NL) so subscribers can self-manage their subscription. It
won't get you completely away from "Please unsubscribe me" messages, but
it will help. BTW, sign me up.

~Mark.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber

Put it up...they will come(to coin a really hokey line) as will
I.

Charles Self wrote:

I'm kind of trolling--in the sense of asking for bites--on an idea I've been
mulling since I was able to get a web site up and mostly operative.

A weekly newsletter, free to readers (will eventually have some ads from
interested companies, as the online things are not free to me), with a tip
or two each week, along with one tool review--individual tool, not groups.

Posted to rec.woodworking
skeezics

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 14:44:12 GMT, "Charles Self"
wrote:

I'm kind of trolling--in the sense of asking for bites--on an idea I've been
mulling since I was able to get a web site up and mostly operative.

A weekly newsletter, free to readers (will eventually have some ads from
interested companies, as the online things are not free to me), with a tip
or two each week, along with one tool review--individual tool, not groups.

The NL will go only to subscribers who provide an email address. I might
later ask for a zip code in order to class markets for advertisers, but
probably not.

No spam.

No flash.

Tips may be long or short, depending on available time, my mood and, after a
bit, requests. I may eventually also include responses from readers.

If there's enough interest, both from readers and various companies, I'll
start setting up. If not, not. I anticipate a lot of work, which is fine, as
it's work I enjoy, but you'd basically be looking at a simple HTML document
with no more than half a dozen photos, and a page or so of test, aimed at
quick, informative readability. Nothing fancy, but, I hope, useful.

If it interests you and you don't want to respond online, try me at
charlieself at charlieselfonline.com.

works for me charles. sign me up! fartntouchit at hotmail.com.

skeez
Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Dave Hinz wrote:
On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 22:04:27 -0000, Robert Bonomi
wrote:
In article ,
Dave Hinz wrote:

On that, I definately agree. Although, Dave, the images would
probably be tags to a webserver anyway, so the mail itself should be
small.

But _that_ is the 'reference implementation' of virus-spreading e-mails.

I didn't know they had managed to build viruses into images yet.

Call it an 'image', even name it with the extension for a recognized image
format. make the _acutal_ content of the file a MS-executable.

Windows is _so_dumb_, that it looks at the file 'type' (based on extension)
to figure out whether or not to automatically 'execute' the file, and then
*ignores* the extension, and looks at the actual content to determine *how*
to execute it.

Furthermore, there *are* exploits of defective code in the MS 'jpeg' decoder.
which allow you to embed malicious *code* into the 'data' of a properly-
constructed .JPG file, and it _will_ be executed.

Many modern browsers will -not-, when processing HTML mail, open links to an

'external to the message' reference.

Well, it's not a link, it's a tagged object, but either way, email is
the way not to do it for a host of reasons.

I won't debate terminology. "a href={something}text description/a"

Charlie, at a minimum, you need to give people an *option* for
HTML mail vs 'plain ASCII'.

Absolutely.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 17:09:37 -0000, Robert Bonomi wrote:
In article ,
Dave Hinz wrote:

I didn't know they had managed to build viruses into images yet.

Call it an 'image', even name it with the extension for a recognized image
format. make the _acutal_ content of the file a MS-executable.

Ah yes, that little joyful thing.

Windows is _so_dumb_, that it looks at the file 'type' (based on extension)
to figure out whether or not to automatically 'execute' the file, and then
*ignores* the extension, and looks at the actual content to determine *how*
to execute it.

Yes it does. That can get really frustrating if you have two .'s in the
filename.

Furthermore, there *are* exploits of defective code in the MS 'jpeg' decoder.
which allow you to embed malicious *code* into the 'data' of a properly-
constructed .JPG file, and it _will_ be executed.

I thought they fixed that? But yeah, I remember that now.

Well, it's not a link, it's a tagged object, but either way, email is
the way not to do it for a host of reasons.

I won't debate terminology. "a href={something}text description/a"

I wasn't trying to play word games, I assure you. so yeah, that's a
tag, not a link as in "click here". They're handled differently,
otherwise I wouldn't have made the distinction.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Matt Stachoni

On 23 Dec 2005 17:18:49 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Windows is _so_dumb_, that it looks at the file 'type' (based on extension)
to figure out whether or not to automatically 'execute' the file, and then
*ignores* the extension, and looks at the actual content to determine *how*
to execute it.

Yes it does. That can get really frustrating if you have two .'s in the
filename.

Nonsense; Windows parses the filename from the end backwards to
determine the extension. I can easily have a file called
this.is.a.picture.of.my.nephew.jpg and Windows knows how to launch the
file viewer.

If you're gonna bash Windows for some file system issue, at least
double check your facts.

Matt