Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Hinz

Default Possible interest in short, free NL

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 17:09:37 -0000, Robert Bonomi wrote:
In article ,
Dave Hinz wrote:

I didn't know they had managed to build viruses into images yet.

Call it an 'image', even name it with the extension for a recognized image
format. make the _acutal_ content of the file a MS-executable.

Ah yes, that little joyful thing.

Windows is _so_dumb_, that it looks at the file 'type' (based on extension)
to figure out whether or not to automatically 'execute' the file, and then
*ignores* the extension, and looks at the actual content to determine *how*
to execute it.

Yes it does. That can get really frustrating if you have two .'s in the
filename.

Furthermore, there *are* exploits of defective code in the MS 'jpeg' decoder.
which allow you to embed malicious *code* into the 'data' of a properly-
constructed .JPG file, and it _will_ be executed.

I thought they fixed that? But yeah, I remember that now.

Well, it's not a link, it's a tagged object, but either way, email is
the way not to do it for a host of reasons.

I won't debate terminology. "a href={something}text description/a"

I wasn't trying to play word games, I assure you. so yeah, that's a
tag, not a link as in "click here". They're handled differently,
otherwise I wouldn't have made the distinction.