Posted to rec.woodworking
Woody

Default Possible interest in short, free NL

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article ,
Charles Self wrote:

The one email handler I'm looking at most seriously claims the HTML
automatically switches over to plain text. Dunno if that's true, and
probably won't know for a minimum of six or seven weeks.

If you're going to use HTML as the delivery vehicle I seriously
recommend posting a web page and then emailing a link, like
augusthome.com does.

You'll cut your bandwidth requirement way down, and be able to attract
a larger audience, which means an improved ability to attract
advertisers.

I think your concept is great, but that you're considering the wrong
delivery vehicle.

HTML is for web browsers, not email proggies. Email me a link to a web
page, not 500k of HTML and images!

djb

Agree wholeheartedly. Put HTML version on your website and text version
in email. Even text mail can support some level of ad sponsorship.

You've probably already thought of this as well, but use some robust
mailing list software (MailMan, MajorDomo, with instruction added at the
bottom of each NL) so subscribers can self-manage their subscription. It
won't get you completely away from "Please unsubscribe me" messages, but
it will help. BTW, sign me up.

~Mark.