Pat Barber

Default Snap Rings in Dust Collector

I recently purchased a Delta 50-763 which is a
3hp unit with two bags both on top and bottom.

One of the new "features" is a cloth covered SNAP RING
that replaces the older cam over locking bands.

I thought that was a pretty cute but odd feature when
I was putting the unit together but it sure did work.

It is basically a cloth covered piece of spring steel
that fits perfectly "inside" the unit with the top of
the bag wrapped over the snap ring. Once this ring is
inserted, pulling the bag off is impossible.

Over the weekend, I finally started using the unit and
while planing a big stack of cypress I almost filled
one of the big bags with planer shaving. They had sent
me a couple of extra bags and I thought it was time to
empty out the bags.

I attempted to "pull" on the bag thinking that would
release he snap ring. Nope...Nada...nothing.

I pulled,pushed, and then started the cussing.. Nothing
helped. That ring is not gonna collapse without a lot of
help.

I finally got out the utility knife and cut the bag off
the unit. I could still NOT remove the ring. After a
great deal of pulling and cussing, the ring finally started
to slip and I managed to get it off.

I am now covered in saw dust and shaving and I'm ready for
the dart gun to calm me down. The bag is ruined and I got
saw dust everywhere from all the screwing around.

I must admit, Delta did send a pair of the "old style"
locking bands and now I wonder why they did that ???

Any bright ideas of how in the name of god to get a
"locking ring" out of the unit with the bag on ???

PS:

I called Delta this morning and would you believe that
tech support could not come up with a acceptable way to
do this ??? (stick finger in bag and pull ring)

The manual makes NO mention of how to remove
the straps.

David

You will find the addition of a separator a welcome addition to your DC
system. I didn't use my DC for long before I realized the need for a
trash can collector that catches nearly ALL the heavy shavings and much
of the finer dust. It's so easy to pop the lid off the trash can and
dump it. total time is under a minute. Beats screwing around with the
bags.

Dave

Pat Barber wrote:

[...]

tom

David wrote: You will find the addition of a separator a welcome
addition to your DC
system. I didn't use my DC for long before I realized the need for a
trash can collector that catches nearly ALL the heavy shavings and much

of the finer dust. It's so easy to pop the lid off the trash can and
dump it. total time is under a minute. Beats screwing around with the

bags.

Yabbut, you'll still have to empty out the bag every now and then. If
Mr. Barber's talkin' about what I think he's talkin' about, try pushing
radially on the bag at one point as near to the ring as possible. The
ring should bend inward, allowing removal. I think... Tom

Edwin Pawlowski

"tom" wrote in message

If
Mr. Barber's talkin' about what I think he's talkin' about, try pushing
radially on the bag at one point as near to the ring as possible. The
ring should bend inward, allowing removal. I think... Tom

It took me a couple of bagfuls to figure that out. Now I empty it at about
1/2 to 2/3 full in just a minute. What you DO NOT want to do is overfill it
so the chips are starting to fill the top bag. That would make a mess. Not
that I would ever do that, of course, I've just heard stories about it.
Yeah, that's it, I heard stories about it.

Pat Barber wrote:

One of the new "features" is a cloth covered SNAP RING
that replaces the older cam over locking bands.

Pat,

I looked up the Delta manual to see if I understood what you described.
I think this snap ring is identical to the one used on my Jet dust
collector. The main difference between mine and yours is that I have a
canister filter on top instead of a bag.

I'll relate my experience of dealing with the ring and hope it helps
you. They key to getting the ring to release is that you must "fold"
it inward. Don't even think about trying to slide it up or pull the
bag loose from it.

The easiest access to the ring for getting it loose is to remove the
upper bag (canister in my case) and then grab the ring and pull it
toward the center. Once it "gives" the bag will come loose easily.

This is difficult to describe in words. All I can say is that it
requires holding your mouth right and you can get it done without
having to resort to cutting anything off.

Bob

Pat Barber

I added a seperator can on Sunday after the "struggle"
with the snap band. It will help out but I still need
a reasonable way to get the damn bags off without
destroying the bag and completely losing my composure.

In my current config, the seperator is only on the
planer line, which is the major shaving generator. I
am running four lines all at one time.

The 3hp is strong enough to hold the lid on the can
with enough force that it is difficult to remove.

David wrote:

You will find the addition of a separator a welcome addition to your DC
system. I didn't use my DC for long before I realized the need for a
trash can collector that catches nearly ALL the heavy shavings and much
of the finer dust. It's so easy to pop the lid off the trash can and
dump it. total time is under a minute. Beats screwing around with the
bags.

Pat Barber

I tried that method BUT the problem is that the ring is
"inside" the collector with no way to "get behind" the
band and "push" but I do understand what you saying.

I'm thinking about using a method that is used in the
electronics industry.

Using a piece of flat "ribbon" with one loop around the
band, I should be able to grab the ribbon from outside
the bag and "pull" the band toward the inside and release
the pressure.

This is similar to the ribbons found in a
battery compartment of a electronic device.

(sounds good on paper but we shall see)

tom wrote:

Yabbut, you'll still have to empty out the bag every now and then. If
Mr. Barber's talkin' about what I think he's talkin' about, try pushing
radially on the bag at one point as near to the ring as possible. The
ring should bend inward, allowing removal. I think... Tom

Fly-by-Night CC

In article
,
Pat Barber wrote:

Any bright ideas of how in the name of god to get a
"locking ring" out of the unit with the bag on ???

Merely push in on the bag right where it joins the metal separator. The
ring will collapse inward and then you can cant it to remove it.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
Pounds on Wood

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
I must admit, Delta did send a pair of the "old style"
locking bands and now I wonder why they did that ???

Any bright ideas of how in the name of god to get a
"locking ring" out of the unit with the bag on ???

I think Jet first introduced that feature, and it is one of the reasons I
chose their DC afew years ago. It sounds like Delta copied it, although I
have not seen one. On the Jet it is also difficult to get the ring out IF
you let the bag get nearly full. I have found that pushing up on the bag
and ring together allows you to get your finger behind the ring and then it
goes pretty easy. But it is NOT easy with a full bag, and it will ALWAYS
spill more dust than the old clamp style. I still like it better than the
outside clamps.

--
********
Bill Pounds

Edwin Pawlowski

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
I tried that method BUT the problem is that the ring is
"inside" the collector with no way to "get behind" the
band and "push" but I do understand what you saying.

Just push in the right spot. No need to un-do anything. Grab the bag with
your hand and push. A good push right below the housing will cause it to
pop inside and you just remove the bag. Honest, give it a try. Easy to go
back also.

Martin McCrorey

I like your ribbon idea. I have a Jet 650CK, and although I figured out
the trick of pushing in the ring to fold it, it's not easy. The ring is
so stiff, it seems like there is a risk of ripping the bag, so I usually
remove the canister and pry the ring inward from above . A ribbon or
pullcord hanging from the ring would probably make it simple to pull in
from underneath. It's worth a try.

Pat Barber

I have had no success using that method. The problem is
that the ring is much further "up" in the DC that when
you shove against the bag, you get no leverage.

BUT I did find a way last night

The upper bags are also contained by this new "snap ring"
but by "pushing" quite hard, you can break the tension
which allows you to reach down inside the unit to release
the tension on the lower bag ring.

This is not an acceptable way(to me) and I will try my
"ribbon" method some time this week.

Fly-by-Night CC wrote:

Merely push in on the bag right where it joins the metal separator. The
ring will collapse inward and then you can cant it to remove it.

Pat Barber

I tried that method, but with plastic bags almost full
and damn near five feet high, this method don't work too
well. This unit is quite large(110" high x 66" long)

These bags are huge and the band is UP high inside the
unit, which gives you no leverage point from the outside.

I do believe a cloth bag might react differently as I
can break the tension on the upper "cloth bag" with the
"push" method.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Just push in the right spot. No need to un-do anything. Grab the bag with
your hand and push. A good push right below the housing will cause it to
pop inside and you just remove the bag. Honest, give it a try. Easy to go
back also.

Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
Pat Barber wrote:

I have had no success using that method. The problem is
that the ring is much further "up" in the DC that when
you shove against the bag, you get no leverage.

When you place the empty bag inside the separator push the ring and bag
to the top or bottom of the separator. At least on the Jet, there's a
lip at the edge that stops the expanded ring at the bottom.