Robatoy

In article ,
"Swingman" wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message

big-box *******s. They simple don't give a rat's ass. It opened my eyes.
And THAT is why I'm done with them. Sure they have been conveniently
located for my needs, but that only accounts for so much.

Over time you do notice one consistent, overriding philosophy: they are
there solely for the convenience and financial gratification of the
employees and management, PERIOD

I'm much more aware of that now that I have seen their 'customer service
department' in action. (I wonder if it is staffed with ex fork-lift
drivers?

Basically, I wouldn't walk into a HD if the company did not have a
commercial charge account and the money was coming out of my pocket. The
*******s even tried to kill me with a forklift last week, then attempted to
blame it on me ... damn good thing I am relatively nimble for my age. That
particular store "manager" won't forget me for a long time.

I have an account there so I can send anybody to fetch stuff as the need
arises. They KNOW what I spent there over the last 3 years. It is
considerably less than a full building contractor, but it's enough.

A friend of mine supplies 5 HD stores with Corian. They make him jump
through hoops. Sometimes they are totally unreasonable. He cannot
template a job unless the cabinets are in. HD controls the sub who is
doing the installation of those cabinets. My friend's contract states
that he must deliver within 21 days after the order is confirmed.
Sometimes that leaves him 1 or 2 days to template, fabricate and install
a countertop. Sometimes he gets penalized for being late. Rules are
rules, right?

Anyway, good to hear you escaped injury. Not much give to forklifts.
Robatoy

In article , "George" george@least
wrote:

Like it's
the first or last time you'll make a poor decision?

The fact that I'm my third marriage tell you anything? *G*

Of course, it could have been the ex's poor decisions, eh?
Unquestionably Confused

on 5/11/2005 4:41 PM Robatoy said the following:
In article
A friend of mine supplies 5 HD stores with Corian. They make him jump
through hoops. Sometimes they are totally unreasonable. He cannot
template a job unless the cabinets are in. HD controls the sub who is
doing the installation of those cabinets. My friend's contract states
that he must deliver within 21 days after the order is confirmed.
Sometimes that leaves him 1 or 2 days to template, fabricate and install
a countertop. Sometimes he gets penalized for being late. Rules are
rules, right?

They try to pull that same crap with their customers as well. Tried to
buy a full kitchen's worth of cabinets on a complete makeover. First
had to deal with their "cabinet counselor" or whatever, couldn't just
get anyone to take the order although I'd already measured, obtained
their stocking numbers, etc.

Okay, no biggie, I'm back the next night and lo and behold their
"cabinet counselor" is some 60+ little old lady who honestly was
clueless. Couldn't operate the computer used to generate the order so
we swapped places and I filled in the order myself. Asked her one
simple question about a double door cabinet detail that wasn't clear
from anything they had in the books, on the computer, etc. Said she'd
have to call the factory and get back to me. Okay, let's write this upd!

Oh, you can't just buy them like that. You have to have one of our
people come out and measure your kitchen.

Adios, HD A**holes! Enough!

Talked to my Corian guy who put me in touch with his cabinet jobber.
Ordered them by FAX and was good to go in about ten days. Price was
better than HD for the same product as well.

HD = 7-11 If you gotta have it right now and you know what you need
it's the place to go when nothing else is available. Otherwise...
APBHD! Any Place But Home Depot.
Never Enough Money

Speaks volumes for the manufacturers, not the retailer. Also speaks
volumes about me -- getting the wrong thing.

Mark Cooper

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Robatoy" wrote in message news:design-

I'm approaching this from their viewpoint. Those kind of rules are
guide-lines. Those 'rules' are not like a road-sign for State Troopers
to hide behind looking for their quota. " Excuse me sir, does that sign
say SPEED LIMIT 56?"

Turns out that is a moot point as their advertised policy states 90 days.
http://tinyurl.com/co38p

Since the policy is 90 days, they should accommodate you. A store as
large as HD just can't have people at the bottom end interpreting policy.
It could make one hell of a mess. I think tose rules are pretty much
roles, not just guidlines.

Did you know that Southwest Airlines, one of the VERY few airlines to be
making money these days, allows ANY customer-contact employee to "interpret"
company policy on the spot if required in order to satisfy a customer? They
only require their employees to use good judgement...their _own_ good
judgement. And those are some pretty low-paid employees...most probably
making less than HD employees.

And Southwest makes one ****-pot-full of money in the toughest industry
(currently) around.

I agree with Robatoy...these aren't rules. In a well-run company, they are
guidelines.

Mark Cooper

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 May 2005 21:03:06 -0400, Robatoy
wrote:

I was minding my own business some weeks ago, when I saw this nifty
cheap belt-sander by Black & Decker.

Never buy "nifty" tools.

Sorry, but no sympathy here.

B&D make crap. You know this.

They're a shop, not a rental place. Now in my book, '30 days and return
for "I don't like this"' is pretty generous anyway. But there's no other
way to know if the thing is any good, so I guess that's their cost
downside against the upside of having a self-service warehouse instead
of a shop with real staff.

But the rules are pretty plain. _30_days_. A whole month. You don't
need that long to work out if the thing is tolerably "fit for purpose",
you can do that in an afternoon. So for a returns policy that's already
pretty generous, you're just taking the **** here.

Ever heard of a guarantee of merchantability?

If not, read-up on it. By the looks of your ****y post, you have a lot to
learn.

Mark Cooper

My but aren't you two (Jim and Sharon) the buttholes?

"Rules are rules for a reason"? That's the best you got? Perhaps you have
some other platitudes you could offer?

I know..."You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar."

Or how 'bout "A stich in time saves nine"?

You don't work and play well with others, so go away until you do.

"Jim & Sharon" wrote in message
. ..
you bought a piece of crap, didn't use it for 3 months and now you expect
Hd
to take it back.
I think you need a dose of reality buddy.
rules are rules for a reason. why should they bend them for you

Robatoy

In article ,
Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Oh, you can't just buy them like that. You have to have one of our
people come out and measure your kitchen.

Had THAT gone down, rest assured the order would have been
wrong..OR..there would be 6" spacer to substitute for that 30" base
cabinet they were short of...so they gave you a 24" with a little spacer.

Seen it done. I ****teth thee not!

I used to template those HD jobs for my friend, but after a few..mmmm
sorry, bud..this dude is out of time.
Another favourite was Thunder Thursday. They delivered the cabinets on
Monday, partial install, done (sort of) on Thursday...the phone would
ring...... Cabinets are in, customer want a working kitchen by the
weekend or else. The frickin' Corian is just off the truck, NO time to
warm up to working temp... Friday morning first bit/blade hits the
material, go nuts...4 guys on the job...okay...who has the cooktop and
the sink? Can't continue without the cooktop or the sink.
Ohhhhhhhhh Home Depot doesn't have them yet????

While you're up, grab me a cold one too, will ya?

Sure...I laugh now....
shooter357

On Wed, 11 May 2005 15:16:04 GMT, "Max"
wrote:

"Brian Elfert" wrote in message
"Mr Fixit eh" writes:

My biggest frustration at HD is the lack of knowledge -- knowledge
about product, knowledge about application, knowledge about customer
service.

Do you really expect someone at Home Depot to know something about the
every one of the thousands of items they carry?

I certainly don't expect that.

Brian Elfert

But would it be too much to expect that the employee assigned to a
particular department know something about the merchandise in that
department?
As someone said before, "It ain't rocket science". I think it's more of a
"don't give a damn" attitude.

Max D.

Having been a Sears employee (salesman, Tool manager, etc.) for 15
years and then being laid off because of corporate downsizing, I can
tell you this. The employees at the Big Boxes (sears included) don't
give a damn because the companies don't give a damn about them. It
all about the bottom line for the shareholders.

Brian
DET Luger "She was onto something, I think that's what got her killed
The Capt "You don't think it was the bullets?"
Lee Michaels

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Upscale" wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message news:design-
What the hell, Larry Jaques is right, not worth getting all tied up in
knot about it.

Especially now that you've got your credit/refund eh?

No.. especially now I got what was right. They sold me a piece of ****.
I wanted compensation. Period.

The money? I use tubes of adhesive that cost more than that sander.
Rolls of tape that I use cost more than that sander.

Wow, I am impressed.

I have never seen tubes of adhesive or rolls of tape that big.

Dave Balderstone

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

In July, I'll have 20 years of sobriety. I've found that I can get
through the largest of calamaties unscathed, but it's the little
things like this which cause me the most amount of frustration and
are the hardest to deal with. Weird, ain't it? I've learned (for the
most part) to accept it and move on, and I hope you can, too.

Two rules:

1) Don't sweat the small ****.

2) It's ALL small ****.

djb

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com
Robatoy

In article ,
"Lee Michaels" wrote:

Wow, I am impressed.

I have never seen tubes of adhesive or rolls of tape that big.

Now you will see one that big...almost a litre
http://integra-adhesives.com/images/products/850ml.jpg
goes into this dispenser:
http://tinyurl.com/9w7xo
Two-part epoxy for joining engineered stone slabs.

The tape? Small roll, really, but approved by DuPont to line the inside
of a cook-top cut-out. Thick, self-adhesive aluminum. Works as a
heat-sink. The adhesive can withstand very high temperatures.

Now, Lee, don't you feel enlightened?

*G*
Dave Balderstone

In article , Robatoy
wrote:

Turns out that is a moot point as their advertised policy states 90 days.
http://tinyurl.com/co38p

So take it back to the store and remind them of their policy. If that
fails, their Canadian toll-free customer service number is on their web
site.

For that matter, call them first and have them call the store.

You got an answer you didn't like at the store, after screwing up
yourself, then bitched there was no email address when you could have
picked up the phone and talked to somebody at corporate who may have
been able to set things right.

Call them.

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com
Dan White

"Ba r r y" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 May 2005 21:52:33 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message

The money? I use tubes of adhesive that cost more than that sander.
Rolls of tape that I use cost more than that sander.

Wow, I am impressed.

I have never seen tubes of adhesive or rolls of tape that big.

Depends on the product.

I have a relative that uses $115 a gallon paint.

Of course, it encapsulates lead... G

How about $185/gallon stone floor sealer?

dwhite

Robatoy

wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message

The money? I use tubes of adhesive that cost more than that sander.
Rolls of tape that I use cost more than that sander.

Wow, I am impressed.

I have never seen tubes of adhesive or rolls of tape that big.

Depends on the product.

I have a relative that uses $115 a gallon paint.

Of course, it encapsulates lead... G

Barry

If I were to encapsulate lead, that is what I would use. *G*

Some of the high-tech automotive finishes from Akzo/Sikkens are way
higher than that. At the supplier's that sells me some of my sandpapers,
I saw a client walk out with a box in his arms, not struggling with it,
several cans.. $1200.00 For one car. Materials. Quite normal, I was told.

Those guys drop a 1000 bucks on a gun.

1000 bucks for a phonograph cartridge I can understand, but a spray gun?

I digress.

Robatoy

In article .ca,
Dave Balderstone wrote:

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

In July, I'll have 20 years of sobriety. I've found that I can get
through the largest of calamaties unscathed, but it's the little
things like this which cause me the most amount of frustration and
are the hardest to deal with. Weird, ain't it? I've learned (for the
most part) to accept it and move on, and I hope you can, too.

Two rules:

1) Don't sweat the small ****.

2) It's ALL small ****.

djb

or as a lady friend of mine likes to say: "Don't sweat the petty things,
but DO pet the sweaty things.."
Dave Balderstone

In article , Robatoy
wrote:

or as a lady friend of mine likes to say: "Don't sweat the petty things,
but DO pet the sweaty things.."

Can I have her phone number?

;-)

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com
Upscale

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message

We had a Lowes open a couple years ago and they are pretty much the same

as
HD. In either place I find myself giving lessons in whatever I'm looking
for, if it is more technical than a bag of dirt.

But that's the way it is (mostly) with the drive for profits that many
retail companies use. They hire employees for as low a wage as possible, but
with a modicum level of knowledge. Naturally, those low wage employees are
going to know only so much.

I remember once going into a low end graphics store to have a map scanned.
Even though I didn't own a scanner and had never used their model of scanner
before, I was the one that had to show the employee how to use the scanner.
Didn't stop them though from charge me $6 for using it.

Upscale

"Robatoy" wrote in message news:design-

or as a lady friend of mine likes to say: "Don't sweat the petty things,
but DO pet the sweaty things.."

Did she end up as one of your three wives?

Lee Michaels

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Lee Michaels" wrote:

Wow, I am impressed.

I have never seen tubes of adhesive or rolls of tape that big.

Now you will see one that big...almost a litre
http://integra-adhesives.com/images/products/850ml.jpg
goes into this dispenser:
http://tinyurl.com/9w7xo
Two-part epoxy for joining engineered stone slabs.

The tape? Small roll, really, but approved by DuPont to line the inside
of a cook-top cut-out. Thick, self-adhesive aluminum. Works as a
heat-sink. The adhesive can withstand very high temperatures.

Now, Lee, don't you feel enlightened?

*G*

You know I was just a funnin' ya.

But every field has some kind of expensive, exotic materials. I had a
welder friend who use to show me small handfuls of welding rod that cost
$250 or more. It makes sense that any kind of extreme needs materials or
adhesives would cost a lot.

Upscale

"Robatoy" wrote in message news:design-
Especially now that you've got your credit/refund eh?

No.. especially now I got what was right. They sold me a piece of ****.
I wanted compensation. Period.

The money? I use tubes of adhesive that cost more than that sander.
Rolls of tape that I use cost more than that sander.

Of course, I knew it wasn't the money from the start. When it comes down to
being right against a specific amount of money, being right wins most every
time. The money is nice, but the satisfaction that comes from being right is
priceless.

Lobby Dosser

"Upscale" wrote:

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message

We had a Lowes open a couple years ago and they are pretty much the
same

as
HD. In either place I find myself giving lessons in whatever I'm
looking for, if it is more technical than a bag of dirt.

But that's the way it is (mostly) with the drive for profits that many
retail companies use. They hire employees for as low a wage as
possible, but with a modicum level of knowledge. Naturally, those low
wage employees are going to know only so much.

I remember once going into a low end graphics store to have a map
scanned. Even though I didn't own a scanner and had never used their
model of scanner before, I was the one that had to show the employee
how to use the scanner. Didn't stop them though from charge me $6 for
using it.

My last lesson was knife hinges. I didn't really expect to find them in
HD, but I was there for some PVC pipe and thought I'd save myself a trip
somewhere else. Instead I spent 10 minutes explaining and drawing knife
hinges for three of them and still had to make the trip somewhere else.
Now I just ask if they know where I can find something. If they say they
know, I look there first. If it's not there or they say they don't know,
I wander around until I run out of patience or convince myself that they
don't have what I'm looking for.

That said, one of the local HDs had a guy in a wheel chair who could tell
you to within a foot where to find anything in the store and where to buy
it if they didn't carry it. I always hunted him out, but they seem to
have disappeared him.

The place I try to shop at most often is an Ace Hardware where Every
employee seems to know what everything is and where they keep it. I don't
know how they manage it, but you can walk in there and ask a fresh faced,
new HS grad if they've got a 7mm Ratrafratz Bolt and get told to go to
aisle 4, 2nd cabinet on the left, 3rd row, 2nd drawer from the left - and
*find* it right where they told you to look! Also the kind of place where
you can walk in with a problem you don't know how to solve and walk out
with a solution and the materials to do the job.

Robatoy

In article A7Dge.12471$Fn1.144@trnddc03,
Lobby Dosser wrote:

My last lesson was knife hinges.

I know, I know... one puts them in a blade so one can cut corners?
Robatoy

In article ,
"Lee Michaels" wrote:

You know I was just a funnin' ya.

I know you were, others maybe weren't so lucky. *G*

But every field has some kind of expensive, exotic materials. I had a
welder friend who use to show me small handfuls of welding rod that cost
$250 or more. It makes sense that any kind of extreme needs materials or
adhesives would cost a lot.

And that brings us to jewellers. Gold, silver, diamonds and pearls by
the pound, the sawdust in a shop like that is worth money, eh?...

*grins*
Upscale

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
know how they manage it, but you can walk in there and ask a fresh faced,
new HS grad if they've got a 7mm Ratrafratz Bolt and get told to go to
aisle 4, 2nd cabinet on the left, 3rd row, 2nd drawer from the left - and
*find* it right where they told you to look! Also the kind of place where
you can walk in with a problem you don't know how to solve and walk out
with a solution and the materials to do the job.

There aren't too many places like that around anymore, but I do have to
concede that the Home Depot I go to has many older employees and most of
them have the experience with stuff to be able to help me out when I'm
having a problem. The greatest difficulty that I experience is getting them
to understand what I want to buy. It's usually some type of esoteric
fastener of some type, just that my experience and names for something
doesn't always match theirs.

Lobby Dosser

Lobby Dosser wrote:

My last lesson was knife hinges.

I know, I know... one puts them in a blade so one can cut corners?

Pretty close to some of the guesses I got .. )
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 12 May 2005 00:46:59 GMT, "Mark Cooper"
wrote:

Ever heard of a guarantee of merchantability?

Of course - if the OP had bought one of the self-immolating "Firestorm"
drills from B&D, he'd have a point.

But who's arguing that the tool here isn't "of merchantable quality" (as
my local laws phrase it) ? The question is whether the buyer has an
entitlement to replace it simply because they don't like it (for
whatever reason) rather than arguing the stronger claim that the tool
is not at all merchantable.

Swingman

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

Of course - if the OP had bought one of the self-immolating "Firestorm"
drills from B&D, he'd have a point.

Two weeks ago someone tried to give me three, brand new in the box,
"Firestorm" cordless drills, and two of BD's version of the cordless
multisaw, all still under plastic ... it raised some eyebrows when I said no
thank you.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/06/05

Swingman

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
Speaks volumes for the manufacturers, not the retailer. Also speaks
volumes about me -- getting the wrong thing.

Not necessarily your fault ... not all retailers will carry the crap that HD
does.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/06/05

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 11 May 2005 20:11:27 -0600, the inscrutable Dave Balderstone
spake:

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

In July, I'll have 20 years of sobriety. I've found that I can get
through the largest of calamaties unscathed, but it's the little
things like this which cause me the most amount of frustration and
are the hardest to deal with. Weird, ain't it? I've learned (for the
most part) to accept it and move on, and I hope you can, too.

Two rules:

1) Don't sweat the small ****.

2) It's ALL small ****.

True, so I've reactivated an old sig.

--

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet sweaty things.
----------------------------
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 11 May 2005 21:39:54 -0600, the inscrutable Dave Balderstone
spake:

In article , Robatoy
wrote:

or as a lady friend of mine likes to say: "Don't sweat the petty things,
but DO pet the sweaty things.."

Can I have her phone number?

;-)

Me, too. I'm working up a sweat just thinking about it.

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.
- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming -
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 12 May 2005 03:18:50 -0400, the inscrutable "Upscale"
spake:

[...]

Some helpful tips, especially for plumbing problems:

If it's a replacement part, TAKE THE PART WITH YOU to the stores or
take a digital pic and print it out. Show it to the drones so they can
point (or more likely) shrug and shake their heads.

If it's a new idea, draw it on paper and take it with you. Show it to
the older, more experienced workers rather than the younger drones.
Chances are much better that they've seen it or know of something in
stock which might work. (Unless you get the old guy in the HD plumbing
dept which had never worked there before and neither knew the stock
nor how to plumb. Instead of a 3/4-1/8" reducer, he picked out half a
dozen pieces in galv, black, and pvc which eventually ended up
somewhat close, but not exactly where I wanted to go. He caught the
nick "The Brainless Goldbergian Plumbing Drone of HD." I was so fed up
after talking to him that I put off locating the airbrush fitting
indefinitely and just went home.)

If it's existing hardware and you can't wait to get it from Lee
Valley, take the Lee Valley Tools hardware catalog with you and point
out the picture.

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.
- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming -
Unquestionably Confused

Lobby Dosser wrote:

My last lesson was knife hinges.

I know, I know... one puts them in a blade so one can cut corners?

Ding, Ding! WRONG. Those are those new hinges. Cutting edge technology!

Unquestionably Confused

Upscale wrote:
"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message

know how they manage it, but you can walk in there and ask a fresh faced,
new HS grad if they've got a 7mm Ratrafratz Bolt and get told to go to
aisle 4, 2nd cabinet on the left, 3rd row, 2nd drawer from the left - and
*find* it right where they told you to look! Also the kind of place where
you can walk in with a problem you don't know how to solve and walk out
with a solution and the materials to do the job.

There aren't too many places like that around anymore, but I do have to
concede that the Home Depot I go to has many older employees and most of
them have the experience with stuff to be able to help me out when I'm
having a problem. The greatest difficulty that I experience is getting them
to understand what I want to buy.

The problem is that all the posters are right, at least some of the
time. Oft times the person you talk to at HD or elsewhere hasn't a clue
and other times you might just as well be talking to the person who
invented the "left-handed framistan" you happen to be looking for.

The problem is you NEVER KNOW which one you've drawn that day.

It's kind of like those old logic puzzles that begin...

"You talk to two guards. One never lies and one will never speak the
truth. How..."

If you don't know the answer yourself you'll likely walk out of there
with a nice new MAPP gas torch so you can fix the gas tank on your
lawnmowerg

Robatoy

Lobby Dosser wrote:

My last lesson was knife hinges.

I know, I know... one puts them in a blade so one can cut corners?

Ding, Ding! WRONG. Those are those new hinges. Cutting edge technology!

Seen them in The Sharper Image Catalogue...being marketed to the hilt!
Robatoy

In article ,
"Upscale" wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message news:design-

or as a lady friend of mine likes to say: "Don't sweat the petty things,
but DO pet the sweaty things.."

Did she end up as one of your three wives?

ROTFLMFAO
*wiping away tears*

Gawd, how I wish I could share with you how funny that was...

Suffice it say that few men have lasted much longer than 3 months before
she breaks them. I have been fortunate to have been spared that
humiliation....

*still laughing*

Commits most of those crimes herself..LOL.
Tim Douglass

On Wed, 11 May 2005 13:28:40 -0400, Robatoy
wrote:

Two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do.

Dunno about that. Last time I tried using three lefts on someone I
darn near ended up in jail.

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Lobby Dosser

Larry Jaques wrote:

If it's existing hardware and you can't wait to get it from Lee
Valley, take the Lee Valley Tools hardware catalog with you and point
out the picture.

They'd faint dead away and you'd have to slink out of the store!!
Charles Spitzer

"Upscale" wrote in message
[...]

i don't know about that. a few years ago i had to search out a replacement
valve stem for an old faucet at a hole in the wall place that had stuff on
shelves that you didn't know you needed . lots of knowledgeable guys there.
i happened to find a joker that day who thought that telling me to use a bit
of jb weld inside the valve stem would prevent it from leaking instead of
replacing it.

turned out the manager didn't think it was so funny and he was fired on the
spot.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az