Never Enough Money

Home Depot and the other "boxes" must be doing something valuable to
have grown so big so fast. It takes customers to do so.

I personally love having a Lowes and Home Depot. They replaces the
local overpriced mediocre service hardware and lumber store.

I've returned numerous things to Home Depot and never ever had a
problem. I simply cannot identify with your experience.

Mr Fixit eh

Rob, I feel your pain. I am a firm believer in customer service. Yes,
I can understand that a-rule's-a-rule, but what happened to you was
really not good customer service. This is the sort of thing that leads
to the "buy another one and use the receipt to return the defective one
then return the second one for store credit" scam that we saw in an
earlier post.

My biggest frustration at HD is the lack of knowledge -- knowledge
about product, knowledge about application, knowledge about customer
service.

In this case they didn't even give you correct information about the
policy. Did you take it up with the store manager or head office? You
might be more apt to get some 'discretionary judgement' at that level,
even if it does take up some of your valuable time.

And thanks for this lesson. I'll never make another purchase and let
it sit around in a box.

Steve

Brian Elfert

"Mr Fixit eh" writes:

My biggest frustration at HD is the lack of knowledge -- knowledge
about product, knowledge about application, knowledge about customer
service.

Do you really expect someone at Home Depot to know something about the
every one of the thousands of items they carry?

I certainly don't expect that.

Brian Elfert
Max

"Brian Elfert" wrote in message
"Mr Fixit eh" writes:

My biggest frustration at HD is the lack of knowledge -- knowledge
about product, knowledge about application, knowledge about customer
service.

Do you really expect someone at Home Depot to know something about the
every one of the thousands of items they carry?

I certainly don't expect that.

Brian Elfert

But would it be too much to expect that the employee assigned to a
particular department know something about the merchandise in that
department?
As someone said before, "It ain't rocket science". I think it's more of a
"don't give a damn" attitude.

Max D.

shooter357

"Mr Fixit eh" writes:

My biggest frustration at HD is the lack of knowledge -- knowledge
about product, knowledge about application, knowledge about customer
service.

Do you really expect someone at Home Depot to know something about the
every one of the thousands of items they carry?

I certainly don't expect that.

Brian Elfert

But would it be too much to expect that the employee assigned to a
particular department know something about the merchandise in that
department?
As someone said before, "It ain't rocket science". I think it's more of a
"don't give a damn" attitude.

Max D.

Having been a Sears employee (salesman, Tool manager, etc.) for 15
years and then being laid off because of corporate downsizing, I can
tell you this. The employees at the Big Boxes (sears included) don't
give a damn because the companies don't give a damn about them. It
all about the bottom line for the shareholders.

Brian
DET Luger "She was onto something, I think that's what got her killed
The Capt "You don't think it was the bullets?"

Swingman

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
Home Depot and the other "boxes" must be doing something valuable to
have grown so big so fast. It takes customers to do so.

Yep ... and that "something" is selling "convenience" to the ever increasing
number of clueless.

I've returned numerous things to Home Depot and never ever had a
problem. I simply cannot identify with your experience.

The fact that you had to speaks volumes. But I am real glad for you
nonetheless. Around here, HD in particular, is the embodiment of everything
that is mediocre in today's building trades ... from the employees who run
the other way when they see a customer heading toward them, to the
nailgun-it-up-and-slap-some caulk-on-it types who pass themselves off as
craftsman.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/06/05

Never Enough Money

Speaks volumes for the manufacturers, not the retailer. Also speaks
volumes about me -- getting the wrong thing.

Swingman

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
Speaks volumes for the manufacturers, not the retailer. Also speaks
volumes about me -- getting the wrong thing.

Not necessarily your fault ... not all retailers will carry the crap that HD
does.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/06/05

Robatoy

In article ,
Robatoy wrote:

A Big deal? Not really, I guess, but unless I get some satisfaction, and
soon, the boycott is on and I will never set foot in that store again...
and I can be one stubborn Dutchman when I want to be.

They want to hang a business relationship on 98 dollars or a '10-day'
technicality...then so be it.

I called and was put through to the
'day-duty-part-time-associate-assistant-manager'.

I pointed out to him that their website clearly stated a 90-day return.
He checked and agreed. He asked, rather sheepishly, if I would be
willing to accept an in-store credit. I agreed.

What the hell, Larry Jaques is right, not worth getting all tied up in a
knot about it.

Two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do.

0¿0
Upscale

"Robatoy" wrote in message news:design-
What the hell, Larry Jaques is right, not worth getting all tied up in a
knot about it.

Especially now that you've got your credit/refund eh?

Robatoy

In article ,
"Upscale" wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message news:design-
What the hell, Larry Jaques is right, not worth getting all tied up in a
knot about it.

Especially now that you've got your credit/refund eh?

No.. especially now I got what was right. They sold me a piece of ****.
I wanted compensation. Period.

The money? I use tubes of adhesive that cost more than that sander.
Rolls of tape that I use cost more than that sander.
Lee Michaels

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Upscale" wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message news:design-
What the hell, Larry Jaques is right, not worth getting all tied up in
knot about it.

Especially now that you've got your credit/refund eh?

No.. especially now I got what was right. They sold me a piece of ****.
I wanted compensation. Period.

The money? I use tubes of adhesive that cost more than that sander.
Rolls of tape that I use cost more than that sander.

Wow, I am impressed.

I have never seen tubes of adhesive or rolls of tape that big.

Robatoy

In article ,
"Lee Michaels" wrote:

Wow, I am impressed.

I have never seen tubes of adhesive or rolls of tape that big.

Now you will see one that big...almost a litre
http://integra-adhesives.com/images/products/850ml.jpg
goes into this dispenser:
http://tinyurl.com/9w7xo
Two-part epoxy for joining engineered stone slabs.

The tape? Small roll, really, but approved by DuPont to line the inside
of a cook-top cut-out. Thick, self-adhesive aluminum. Works as a
heat-sink. The adhesive can withstand very high temperatures.

Now, Lee, don't you feel enlightened?

*G*
Upscale

"Robatoy" wrote in message news:design-
Especially now that you've got your credit/refund eh?

No.. especially now I got what was right. They sold me a piece of ****.
I wanted compensation. Period.

The money? I use tubes of adhesive that cost more than that sander.
Rolls of tape that I use cost more than that sander.

Of course, I knew it wasn't the money from the start. When it comes down to
being right against a specific amount of money, being right wins most every
time. The money is nice, but the satisfaction that comes from being right is
priceless.

Tim Douglass

On Wed, 11 May 2005 13:28:40 -0400, Robatoy
wrote:

Two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do.

Dunno about that. Last time I tried using three lefts on someone I
darn near ended up in jail.

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Gary

"Robatoy" wrote in message
I was minding my own business some weeks ago, when I saw this nifty
cheap belt-sander by Black & Decker. I knew it would never have the duty
of my PC's, but it had one feature which attracted me to it. A very
small front roller. with a flip-up door so that one can get into small
tight corners. I felt I could use that feature sporadically so the
'duty' didn't concern me too much.

I take the thing home and leave it in the box till the time came I could
use that feature; the inside corner of a counter-top edge. ( Did I tell
you guys I fabricate solid surface counter tops?)
Well lemme tell ya...what a piece of crap. MUCH worse than what I
expected. I KNEW it wasn't a 'pro' piece, but come-ON!!
The thing shuddered, and sounded like the bearings were spinning,
screaming and howling..... I went: "Uh-oh!" and stuck it back in the box.

I took it back to HD with my complaint.....they didn't want to refund
the 98 Can$ (About 70 US$), they wanted to send it for repairs...because
I was 10 days 'overdue' of the 30-day allowable return period. I was
even willing to replace it with a small belt-sander from another make
and pay a little extra if I had to...but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

A Big deal? Not really, I guess, but unless I get some satisfaction, and
soon, the boycott is on and I will never set foot in that store again...
and I can be one stubborn Dutchman when I want to be.

They want to hang a business relationship on 98 dollars or a '10-day'
technicality...then so be it.

Rob
www.topworks.ca

Too bad you didn't shop at Rona. Bambam reported that you can purchase
expensive purchase tools there, thow away the carton they come in, use the
tool for a day or two, and still get a full refund. (see "A Borg story with
a happy ending") Of course "it helps .. to.. know the guys in Tools".

Jim & Sharon

you bought a piece of crap, didn't use it for 3 months and now you expect Hd
to take it back.
I think you need a dose of reality buddy.
rules are rules for a reason. why should they bend them for you

Robatoy

In article ,
"Jim & Sharon" wrote:

you bought a piece of crap, didn't use it for 3 months and now you expect Hd
to take it back.
I think you need a dose of reality buddy.
rules are rules for a reason. why should they bend them for you

You're right. Never bend the rules.
Hence:

PLONK.
Mark Cooper

My but aren't you two (Jim and Sharon) the buttholes?

"Rules are rules for a reason"? That's the best you got? Perhaps you have
some other platitudes you could offer?

I know..."You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar."

Or how 'bout "A stich in time saves nine"?

You don't work and play well with others, so go away until you do.

. ..