Tina

Default Shop Fox - 1.5 hp Dust Collector

I got this Shop Fox 1.5 hp dust collector monday and I've ordered the .3
micron bag, they forgot to send it with my order but it's on it's way...my
question is, I"ve seen DC 's with clear plastic bags on the bottom part of
the collector and the cloth part on the top, it just seems to me for me to
put the .3 micron bag on the top part and get clear plastic bags for the
bottom, it would make my life easier when bagging up when changing when it's
full. Shop fox wants you to have 2 cloth bags, one on top and one on the
bottom, which means I'd have to get the bottom bag and put the dust into
another clear bag when I need to empty it...can I put the .3 micron bag on
top with the clear bag on the bottom??? Makes sense to me....what's the
groups opinion on this setup....TIA

here's the link to the dc I got scroll down to the shop fox 1.5 dc on sale

http://tool-corral.com/shopsite_sc/s...ml/page42.html

Tina

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jim Behning" wrote in message
My little Jet 650 has a plastic bag on the bottom and a canister
filter on top.

The canister filter is designed to handle the rated cfm of the blower. if
the bag on top is oversized and can handle the cfm, it would be acceptable.
If not, you are restricting the capability of the machine.

I find it easier to take the bag out when it is only about half full. I
won't bore you with what happens when it is overfilled.

Bigpole

Tina,
I tried that with my Jet 650 and the plastic bag was being sucked up.
It is something to do with the way the Jet 650 was built. There is a
cone shaped thing between the upper and lower bags. It has to be
located in the upper section to be able to use the plastic bags.
Ted

BillyBob

"Tina" wrote in message

full. Shop fox wants you to have 2 cloth bags, one on top and one on the
bottom, which means I'd have to get the bottom bag and put the dust into
another clear bag when I need to empty it...can I put the .3 micron bag on
top with the clear bag on the bottom??? Makes sense to me....what's the
groups opinion on this setup....TIA

It appears the dust collector you ordered comes with a "real" 2 hp motor
(not an overrated 120volt motor) as well as a 12" impeller. Replacing the
bottom bag with plastic may restrict its capacity somewhat but you have
ample capacity already. I don't think it would hurt anything to give it a
try. Be sure you get a plastic bag designed for dust collection use (very
heavy plastic). It needs to withstand the pressure put up by the blower.

My opinion is derived from my comparison to my similarly sized (2 hp, 12"
impeller) Jet dust collector. It has a plastic bag on bottom and a canister
on top. The canister provides higher air flow capacity, but Jet sells the
very same dust collector with a bag on top instead of the canister and no
other engineering modifications that I know of.

Bob

Pat Barber

The design of the bags must allow enough air flow to
let the machine get the rated CFM's.

When you are ready, call these folks and get a oversize
bag that will allow max air flow and let you use plastic
bags on the bottom.

http://www.americanfabricfilter.com/bags_wood.htm

Tina wrote:

I got this Shop Fox 1.5 hp dust collector monday

Tina

Well I guess I'll just have to use the bags the way they were designed for
and making it a pain to dump my bag...oh well so it goes in the world of
wooddorking...I'll just do it when it's about half full....thanks for all
the help....

Tina

"Bigpole" wrote in message
ups.com...
Tina,
I tried that with my Jet 650 and the plastic bag was being sucked up.
It is something to do with the way the Jet 650 was built. There is a
cone shaped thing between the upper and lower bags. It has to be
located in the upper section to be able to use the plastic bags.
Ted

Patriarch

"Tina" wrote in news:cMJbe.3$KN3.1@lakeread03:

I got this Shop Fox 1.5 hp dust collector monday and I've ordered the
.3 micron bag, they forgot to send it with my order but it's on it's
way...my question is, I"ve seen DC 's with clear plastic bags on the
bottom part of the collector and the cloth part on the top, it just
seems to me for me to put the .3 micron bag on the top part and get
clear plastic bags for the bottom, it would make my life easier when
bagging up when changing when it's full. snip

What will really make your life easier is if you can set up a trash can
seperator, to catch the bigger chips and shavings, before they get to the
Shop Fox. Mine catches at least ten times the volume that gets to the
lower bag of my 1.5 hp Delta.

Almost every store or catalog sells a plastic version, or a Google search
of the Wreck will point you at numerous shop made versions. If you have to
spend more than $40, I'd be surprised.

Patriarch
Tina

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 97.136...
[...]

If I get the seperator will it hamper the effectiveness of the system? I
only will be using it on my 1 TS and a Makita LS 1013 chop box and I guess I
could hook it up to my PC Router table....I'm gonna try and do a pcv piping
system...(a salesman from my local woodcraft store) said to do the pvc
piping instead of the flexible hosing, anyway nothing is written in stone
yet...I just assembled (dc) it last night but haven't done any piping or
anything yet....just trying to get my ducks in a row.................

Tina

Joe_Stein

Sounds like you and I have the same model DC. I have mine hooked-up to
the TS only. My big chip colector is located inside the dust hood (a
piece of hardware cloth). See my website...
http://members.fretzmultimedia.com/j...ein/page5.html
An employee at the Woodcraft store in Columbus, Ohio told me that in
order to use a plastic bag on the bottom, I would have to have the
canister filter on top. WW's Supply sells the bages, but doesn't mention
this. Reading the other answers to your question, it sounds like she
wasn't kidding.
Cheers.
Joe

Tina wrote:
[...]

Patriarch

"Tina" wrote in news:PZRbe.34$xY3.9@lakeread03:

snip
If I get the seperator will it hamper the effectiveness of the system?
I only will be using it on my 1 TS and a Makita LS 1013 chop box and I
guess I could hook it up to my PC Router table.

Effectiveness in what way? As in, will it still pull the same air, at
the same velocity? I don't know. Mine is pretty effective at cleaning
up from a Unisaw, a router table, a small planer, a largish bandsaw and
sanding dust from a lathe. And I plug in a hose and wand, and clear the
chips and sawdust off of the shop floor once in a while. The DC I have
seems to be similarly rated to the one you are installing. Mine's piped
with 4" pvc, and a little bit of flex, for movement of the DC and the
seperator, and access to stuff that's behind.

I'm sure that I could wring another 10% from my setup, but it's too much
trouble, and what's there does the job. I'm not collecting from a lot
of the sources, and so there's still a lot of cleanup to do.

But dumping the can is a lot easier than dumping the plastic bag. It's
more accessible, and I don't need to wrestle the band clamps. And it
doen't throw up clouds of dust, because the 'cake' isn't disturbed.

....I'm gonna try and do
a pcv piping system...(a salesman from my local woodcraft store) said
to do the pvc piping instead of the flexible hosing, anyway nothing is
written in stone yet...I just assembled (dc) it last night but
haven't done any piping or anything yet....just trying to get my ducks
in a row.................

Tina

Experiment a bit. Take notes. Make stuff. Enjoy.

Patriarch
Tina

"Patriarch" wrote in message
7.136...
[...]

Thanks for the input Patriarch...experienced people with there dc is what I
wanted...I"m gonna look into the seperator method..easier then the big puff
of cloud...which would be outside when dumping if I go with that
configuration...my lungs couldn't take the dust cloud from hell on the
inside of the shop.

Tina