Justa Beginner

Default Dust collector

Im looking at getting a dust collector. Have read up on them and their
importance in the shop. Still don't know which I will be getting yet but
come across something that kinda confuses me. For example, Home Depot here
in Canada sells the Delta AP400 1 hp Dust collector with a 30 micron bag for
$300. Now i have seen one at busy bee for $160 which is a 1 hp and has a 1
micron bag. It is my understanding that the lower the micron would be
better as it is allowing smaller thus less particles to escape. Is this
correct? For my use it would be in a small shop where i would keep it
portable as my machines are close together and have been buying them with
mobile bases for ease of movement. Thanks for reading.

Duane Bozarth

Justa Beginner wrote:

Im looking at getting a dust collector. Have read up on them and their
importance in the shop. Still don't know which I will be getting yet but
come across something that kinda confuses me. For example, Home Depot here
in Canada sells the Delta AP400 1 hp Dust collector with a 30 micron bag for
$300. Now i have seen one at busy bee for $160 which is a 1 hp and has a 1
micron bag. It is my understanding that the lower the micron would be
better as it is allowing smaller thus less particles to escape. Is this
correct? For my use it would be in a small shop where i would keep it
portable as my machines are close together and have been buying them with
mobile bases for ease of movement. Thanks for reading.

For the bag comparison alone, you're correct. What else you need to
look at is static pressure, rated cfm and impeller size among other
items. The no-name also may not have much of a motor even if it is 1 hp
rated...
WillR

Justa Beginner wrote:
Im looking at getting a dust collector. Have read up on them and their
importance in the shop. Still don't know which I will be getting yet but
come across something that kinda confuses me. For example, Home Depot here
in Canada sells the Delta AP400 1 hp Dust collector with a 30 micron bag for
$300. Now i have seen one at busy bee for $160 which is a 1 hp and has a 1
micron bag. It is my understanding that the lower the micron would be
better as it is allowing smaller thus less particles to escape. Is this
correct? For my use it would be in a small shop where i would keep it
portable as my machines are close together and have been buying them with
mobile bases for ease of movement. Thanks for reading.

Found this very helpful.
http://billpentz.com//woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

Suggest you look through his site.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
mac davis

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:40:22 -0500, "Justa Beginner" upick1athotmaildotcom
wrote:

Im looking at getting a dust collector. Have read up on them and their
importance in the shop. Still don't know which I will be getting yet but
come across something that kinda confuses me. For example, Home Depot here
in Canada sells the Delta AP400 1 hp Dust collector with a 30 micron bag for
$300. Now i have seen one at busy bee for $160 which is a 1 hp and has a 1
micron bag. It is my understanding that the lower the micron would be
better as it is allowing smaller thus less particles to escape. Is this
correct? For my use it would be in a small shop where i would keep it
portable as my machines are close together and have been buying them with
mobile bases for ease of movement. Thanks for reading.

Just sort of a side note: Make sure that the wiring in your shop can handle the
DC that you buy..

I have the Harbor Freight 2hp one and ended up bringing in a new circuit to the
shop for it and the other "big load" tools...
Every time the DC went on, the lights would dim and flicker for a second, even
though they were on another circuit... makes ya reluctant to turn on the DC...
This might just be that the HF unit draws a lot to start up and others don't..
only tried the HF..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Phisherman

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:40:22 -0500, "Justa Beginner"
upick1athotmaildotcom wrote:

Im looking at getting a dust collector. Have read up on them and their
importance in the shop. Still don't know which I will be getting yet but
come across something that kinda confuses me. For example, Home Depot here
in Canada sells the Delta AP400 1 hp Dust collector with a 30 micron bag for
$300. Now i have seen one at busy bee for $160 which is a 1 hp and has a 1
micron bag. It is my understanding that the lower the micron would be
better as it is allowing smaller thus less particles to escape. Is this
correct? For my use it would be in a small shop where i would keep it
portable as my machines are close together and have been buying them with
mobile bases for ease of movement. Thanks for reading.

Yes. The lower the number, the finer the particles that can be
trapped. It is the fine dust that is most damaging to the lungs (if
you can smell the wood, it is getting into your lungs). After a DC, a
dust filter is helpful. Money spent on these items is money well
spent to protect your health.

George

"Phisherman" wrote in message

Yes. The lower the number, the finer the particles that can be
trapped. It is the fine dust that is most damaging to the lungs (if
you can smell the wood, it is getting into your lungs). After a DC, a
dust filter is helpful. Money spent on these items is money well
spent to protect your health.

Nope. If you can smell it, volatiles are present.

Although you are the convinced, others might want to look at some work done
on dust
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract
http://oem.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/57/6/376

Organic dusts are not the same as inorganic, the ones from which the dire
consequences of wood dust have been extrapolated.