John Moorhead

Default Ply thickness RANT

Folks -

Okay, Sunday afternoon.... Just finished a glue up, and don't really want
to start a finishing project... So, how about a "shop job"? Sure, he
thinks - How about building that set of drawers for the bench? Maybe get
the crap off of the bench and into some drawers? Maybe? Got enough poplar
and pine on hand? Yep, good! Got 1/2" plywood for the gallery? Yep, good!
Not so fast, bubba....

Okay, I have several sheets of 1/2" ply... I take a look see, and remember
that I got a set of plywood thickness bits from Grizzly as a Christmas
gift.... Good chance to try 'em out making dadoes for the ply. HA!

Okay, WTF? I have 1/2" plywood. One sheet is 1/2" right on the money.
Okay.. odd, but okay.. The other partial sheet is 23/32... That's what I was
expecting. The third partial is just *under* 7/16, and the last sheet is
something that is none of the above, although it *IS* exactly 9mm.

'Scuse me, but how the FAQ is this? I don't want to cut multiple width
dadoes - that's a recipie for disaster.

Am I now to expect that 1/2 ply, er, 23/32 can't be relied upon, and I
should expect something between 3/8" and a full 1/2"? This is NUTS.
Especially at close to 50 bucks a sheet.

How does your scrap bin measure up? This really is a ****er....

John Moorhead

Jim Bailey

I feal you're pain (PITA actually). I just did the same thing today - went
to cut a couple drawers out of cut off 1/2 ply from my scrap bin. Didn't
bother to check it - all the stuff was from a recent trips to the borg. Two
different sizes I didn't discover until the drawers didn't go together
right. What as ****er. And of course there wasn't enough left to cut more -
truly Murphy at work.

jim bailey

"John Moorhead" wrote in message
[...]

Upscale

"John Moorhead" wrote in message

Okay, WTF? I have 1/2" plywood. One sheet is 1/2" right on the money.
Okay.. odd, but okay.. The other partial sheet is 23/32... That's what I

was
expecting. The third partial is just *under* 7/16, and the last sheet is
something that is none of the above, although it *IS* exactly 9mm.

No insult intended, but where have you been hibernating? Imperial measure,
metric conversions and 1/2 dimensions in between both measurement systems
have been flooding the market for several years now. Not sure if that's how
it is down in the USA, but up here in Canada it's called Pot-Luck sizing as
far as I'm concerned.

Personally, I think all the router bit manufacturers made some kind of back
room deal to sell more router bits.

John Moorhead

Upscale -

Ho-kay.... Blame the victim - I've gotten used to 23/32" plywood which was
*apparently* at the time, supposed to be the *actual* thickness of the "1/2"
ply after it had been finish sanded. Fair enough... But *why* now, are
there a total of FOUR "sizes" of 1/2" thick stock? What kind of control at
the mill gives you 1/2", 23/32", 7/16" and 9mm all grouped under 1/2"
thickness....This is NUTS!

I think this follows the progression that 1" thick stock "means" somewhere
between 11/16 and 3/4" - ah, EXCEPT for Redwood. 1x redwood had been
somewhere between 11/16" and 5/8" except that now I get rough sawn boards
that are *just* over 9/16". At this rate 6/4 will really mean "veneer" in a
few years...

At the prices they're getting, I don't really care HOW thick it is, call it
1/2" and make it ONE thickness, between 3/8"
and a 1/2"... I'll deal with it, but for chrissakes, don't make me play a
shell game every time I want to knock together a gallery or box. Jeeezus!

I haven't had to get this creative with a ruler since I started measuring my
dick!

John

"Upscale" wrote in message
[...]

John

Ain't modern technology great. I have two sheets of 3/4 $100+ mahogany
that are not the same. If the veneer was any thiner, they would have
missed. If you sneeze while sanding, you may ruin the whole project.

Mike W.

I've not been WWing for so long, but I agree. I've already run into this
issue twice. I did get a nice tip from a magazine or online newsletter on
the same day I had the first problem. I can't remember what the outlet was,
and I know the extra work sucks, but it did work. Basically cut a slot in
the ply and insert a larger-than-kerf strip to expand the size on that edge.
It worked perfectly both times... both were shop fixtures so the innaccuracy
didnt mean so much.

Thats a work-around.. and no excuse for the problem, especially when, as you
say, you spend $50 a sheet. The alternative is to keep that micrometer with
you when you head out to buy the sheet goods.

Thanks.

[...]

Ed & Sue Beresnikow

Okay, WTF? I have 1/2" plywood. One sheet is 1/2" right on the money.
Okay.. odd, but okay.. The other partial sheet is 23/32... That's what I
was expecting. The third partial is just *under* 7/16, and the last sheet
is something that is none of the above, although it *IS* exactly 9mm.

While I agree with the frustration over plywood thickness variations I
think we need to keep some perspective here.

Isn't a 23/32 thk sheet a thin 3/4 inch or fat 11/16? Not really in the
1/2 inch range?

Plywood these days is manufactured to metric thickness specifications
and unfortunately also allow the variations that we trip across. Much
is dependant on the type and then the finish quality including sanded
and unsanded.

In the case of 1/2" ply it will be sold from 11 thru 12.5 mm (~7/16"
thru ~1/2") and at 3/4" the range is broader with 23/32" being smack
center at 18.5mm. Check any ply manufacturer site for details.

Sadly none of this is of help when trying to complete a project using
left overs and often even with separately purchased panels. I have seen
a few tips to use tapered shims to tighten panel to dado fit but this
doesn't fit my mind as a 'quality' solution.

.... or as is always said double or more measure panel thickness before
cutting the dado one by one ... groan :-(

Ed
Frank Ketchum

"John Moorhead" wrote in message

I haven't had to get this creative with a ruler since I started measuring
my dick!

Don't do that when I have just taken a drink of beer! I guess that is the
explanation for your last name.

Frank

Todd Fatheree

[...]

OK, I'll pile on. This happened to me not long ago, but for me, it was on
"identical" sheets that I purchased at the same time. I didn't realize
until I was about to glue up that I had basically two different thicknesses.
I had done my test fits from pieces that were from one sheet and then cut
all the dadoes based on that. I'm with the other comments...I don't care if
it's 15/32 or 12mm, just make it consistent within a reasonable tolerance.

todd

John Moorhead

D'oh! Yes, 23/32 is "3/4"... I just had it on the brain... I guess I mean
15/32, or perhaps 29/64 or 59/128ths, ad nauseum...

I guess I'm getting the same disease the lumber mfrs have... you heard what
I said, but you weren't listening to what I *meant*... rrrr...

My rant still stands, tho'...

John
"Ed & Sue Beresnikow" wrote in message
[...]

John Moorhead

Okay, sure, *now* I'm greedy to boot! I'd venture a guess that over a year
the total amount of wood used in project by rec'rs as a part of the whole is
probably less than the volume of sawdust produced at furniture mills on one
afternoon in Vietnam.

Many of us have woodlots, others buy locally from millers or locally. You
want now that we should plant a forest full of saplings and will the whole
mess 3 generations down the line with all of our tools to boot? What do we
do then - sit in the corner and whimper?

I use FSC or sustainable woods when they are available and I was a cheap SOB
*LONG* before it became ecologically hip to do so...

Now, go put your on your Birkinstocks, hop in your Prius and hie yourself
down to Starbucks. Then head over to the compassion center for a group hug
and stragety sessions for '08. Do this if you wish, but don't you *dare*
make assumptions on my behalf!.

If you don't have anything to contribute other than telling me to plant some
trees (D'oh!) then pardon me in advance, but STFU!

Lordy!

John Moorhead

PS: As an aside, I wonder how much paper got wasted printing up flyers and
posters for Earth day? So much for mindfulness... Bless their pointy
widdle heads...

"Guess who" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 19:36:24 -0500, (John) wrote:

Ain't modern technology great. I have two sheets of 3/4 $100+ mahogany
that are not the same. If the veneer was any thiner, they would have
missed. If you sneeze while sanding, you may ruin the whole project.

Solution, old technology: Plant as many trees as you cut; more if you
want to supply the rest of the world.

Problem: (No solution) Greed. Selfishness of a now generation.

We have about a dozen new walnut plantings. By the time they are of a
useable size, our great great grandchildren might be able to build
stuff. Hopefully they'll plant more before they run out again. The
squirrels help, but they are losing the battle against pesticides and
artificial fertiliser.

It's just come back to bite us in the backside ...again. Stop
clearcutting, and learn to farm the trees. They used walnut and oak
for firewood when clearing for the fields now farmed. They didn't
know better; we should.

Mark & Juanita

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 23:44:53 GMT, "John Moorhead"
wrote:

Folks -

Okay, Sunday afternoon.... Just finished a glue up, and don't really want
to start a finishing project... So, how about a "shop job"? Sure, he
thinks - How about building that set of drawers for the bench? Maybe get
the crap off of the bench and into some drawers? Maybe? Got enough poplar
and pine on hand? Yep, good! Got 1/2" plywood for the gallery? Yep, good!
Not so fast, bubba....

.... snip

Okay, WTF? I have 1/2" plywood. One sheet is 1/2" right on the money.
Okay.. odd, but okay.. The other partial sheet is 23/32... That's what I was
expecting.

Don't you mean 15/32? 23/32 would be for 3/4?

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody
JeffB

Having experienced your exact problem, and not possessing the "plywood" sized
router bits, I've been very happy with the router jig
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...rings_id=10482 -
manufactured by Accurate Woodworking Tools http://www.accuratewoodtools.com/. It
automatically sizes the dados to the exact thickness of the plywood (or other
stock) that you have, using a standard 1/4" or 1/2" router bit.

No connection to either company, just a satisfied woodworker.
--
JeffB
remove no.spam. to email

Todd Fatheree

"JeffB" wrote in message
Having experienced your exact problem, and not possessing the "plywood"

sized
router bits, I've been very happy with the router jig
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...rings_id=10482 -
manufactured by Accurate Woodworking Tools

http://www.accuratewoodtools.com/. It
automatically sizes the dados to the exact thickness of the plywood (or

other
stock) that you have, using a standard 1/4" or 1/2" router bit.

No connection to either company, just a satisfied woodworker.
--
JeffB
remove no.spam. to email

Well, that's all well and good, if all of your pieces are the same size (but
just not all 1/2" or 15/32" or whatever). When you're making a cabinet,
it's really tedious if all your dadoes have to be sized individually.
DAMHIKT.

todd

JeffB

If you've got different thicknesses of stock - ply or otherwise - the only way
to make good fitting dados is to cut them (or shim them to) slightly different
widths. Even if you have different thicknesses of ply, this little jig will
allow you to cut snug dados - of varying sizes, if necessary - very quickly. Try
doing that with a dado stack or special sized router bit...

I know it would be easier if ply was of consistent thickness, but sometimes it
just isn't. There can be thickness variations within a single sheet!
--
JeffB
remove no.spam. to email

Another Phil

Ed:

Thanks for the Plywood industry info.

I had always assumed the plywood thickness problem was caused by that North
American Treaty thing (NAFTA ??) and the high volume of Plywood being
imported from Canada. (Canada being on metric standard, and exporting to
Asian countries also.) Being a low volume plywood buyer, I just noticed the
problem back in the 90's when NAFTA was passed and put two and two together
and I guess I got 6.

I was wrong. Sorry Canadians, I guess it is not your fault after all.

Phil

Prometheus

wrote:

Okay, WTF? I have 1/2" plywood. One sheet is 1/2" right on the money.
Okay.. odd, but okay.. The other partial sheet is 23/32... That's what I was
expecting. The third partial is just *under* 7/16, and the last sheet is
something that is none of the above, although it *IS* exactly 9mm.

'Scuse me, but how the FAQ is this? I don't want to cut multiple width
dadoes - that's a recipie for disaster.

Am I now to expect that 1/2 ply, er, 23/32 can't be relied upon, and I
should expect something between 3/8" and a full 1/2"? This is NUTS.
Especially at close to 50 bucks a sheet.

How does your scrap bin measure up? This really is a ****er....

I feel your pain... How about putting a rabbet on the edge of the ply
to get it to a consistant thickness as a technique? Not only makes
takes the guesswork out of the dado width, but the shoulders cover up
any little nicks the router might happen to make if you get a little
shaky at the wrong moment.

John Moorhead

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
WillR

Another Phil wrote:
Ed:

Thanks for the Plywood industry info.

I had always assumed the plywood thickness problem was caused by that
North American Treaty thing (NAFTA ??) and the high volume of Plywood
being imported from Canada. (Canada being on metric standard, and
exporting to Asian countries also.) Being a low volume plywood buyer, I
just noticed the problem back in the 90's when NAFTA was passed and put
two and two together and I guess I got 6.

I was wrong. Sorry Canadians, I guess it is not your fault after all.

Phil

Phil:

I will file your note along with the recent letter from Newt Gingrich.

:-)

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
David & Betty Bridgeman

I also feel your pain. I bought a set of "plywood" bits. Tried the "1/4""
on a scrap. Worked great. On my latest project--I was furious. I assumed
the plywood would fit nice and tight. But no, no, no, loose as hell.

Just make a fricken standard. How hard is that.

David

[...]

Swingman

"John Moorhead" wrote in message

'Scuse me, but how the FAQ is this? I don't want to cut multiple width
dadoes - that's a recipie for disaster.

For the past few years I've found it necessary to make two trips to the
lumber yard when I buy multiple sheets for a large project. A digital
caliper goes along on the first trip when I pick out the grade, grain, etc,
and even note which stack the plywood I want is in.

Back at the shop I cut a dado in sample FF material based on the caliper
measurement (being sure to make project notes on the number, size, and
position of the cutters and spacers in the dado stack). Then it's back to
the lumber yard, using that sample dado, to check the fit, and select _each_
individual sheet of plywood.

The piece of dadoed FF stays on the dashboard of my truck until the project
is finished.

A necessary PITA these days if you work to any kind of tolerances where
multiple units must have the same measurement, and things like drawer slides
must fit drawers made long before a cabinet is put together.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/17/05

Upscale

"Swingman" wrote in message
A necessary PITA these days if you work to any kind of tolerances where
multiple units must have the same measurement, and things like drawer

slides
must fit drawers made long before a cabinet is put together.

This is your business right? Isn't there any way you can negotiate slightly
purchases of plywood that all conform to the same thickness? What a royal
pain in the butt.

Swingman

"Upscale" wrote in message
"Swingman"wrote in message
A necessary PITA these days if you work to any kind of tolerances where
multiple units must have the same measurement, and things like drawer

slides
must fit drawers made long before a cabinet is put together.

This is your business right? Isn't there any way you can negotiate

slightly
purchases of plywood that all conform to the same thickness? What a royal
pain in the butt.

No one in the building industry, at least in this area, will guarantee
anything regarding material dimensions these days, and if they did, it has
been my experience that you would do well to verify it yourself in any
event.

Since I am one of those who does FF's first on cabinets, it saves time, not
to mention peace of mind, in the long run to insure that I don't have to
re-cut dadoes in FF's.

I do a good deal of pre-planning, and since I order on a purchase order
before delivery, I generally make two trips in any event. The first to check
color, grade, grain, price, etc, the second to take delivery.

In between is when I take the extra step to cut a dado as a "thickness
guide" for individual sheets when I pick up the order.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/17/05

Lee Michaels

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Upscale" wrote in message
"Swingman"wrote in message
[...]

Your dado thickness guide is a keeper. I like that. Thank you sir.

I do some metal work. Mostly fabrications out of squate tubing. Although
there is far less size discrepancies in metal than wood, it is an increasing
problem there too. Particularly in the corner shape. Which changes the time
and skill required to do the fabrication.

Like you, I bring samples to the yard to check them against what they give
me. And I submit samples each time I order. Even then, they screw up the
order now and then.

So I have already been doing this. I just did not think to apply it to wood.
smacks forehead

dadiOH

John Moorhead wrote:

Am I now to expect that 1/2 ply, er, 23/32 can't be relied upon, and I
should expect something between 3/8" and a full 1/2"? This is NUTS.
Especially at close to 50 bucks a sheet.

Welcome to the wonderful world of imports.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

patrick conroy

"John Moorhead" wrote in message

Am I now to expect that 1/2 ply, er, 23/32 can't be relied upon, and I
should expect something between 3/8" and a full 1/2"? This is NUTS.

23/32nds?
You mean 15/32nds, right?

Anyway - it is nuts...

Duane Bozarth

dadiOH wrote:

John Moorhead wrote:

Am I now to expect that 1/2 ply, er, 23/32 can't be relied upon, and I
should expect something between 3/8" and a full 1/2"? This is NUTS.
Especially at close to 50 bucks a sheet.

Welcome to the wonderful world of imports.

Nothing restricted to imports, either...
Hax Planx

dadiOH says...

John Moorhead wrote:

Am I now to expect that 1/2 ply, er, 23/32 can't be relied upon, and I
should expect something between 3/8" and a full 1/2"? This is NUTS.
Especially at close to 50 bucks a sheet.

Welcome to the wonderful world of imports.

I'm wondering if you get more consistency with Appleply or real Baltic
birch. You know, the expensive stuff. I'm not surprised it would be a
problem with home center quality materials. But in their defense, these
materials are intended for construction, not precision woodworking.
Tom Watson

wrote:

[...]

I figure that the 23/32 was actually 23/64. Excepting that, my
experience is pretty much the same as yours.

Even buying from the same supplier, who is using the same
manufacturer, and where the pieces are coming from the same unit -
doesn't get you all the way home.

The usual solution is to not use a full dado but to create a
dado/groove of 1/4" or 5/16" in width and then machine a tongue that
is sized to fit that width.

This goes pretty quick with a good dado blade.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)
Tom Watson

wrote:

[...]

BTW - The obvious question, which I neglected to address is:

"Do I then have to make a bunch of different setups to get the 1/4"
tongue, given that the material is all kinda different thicknesses?'

Nope. You machine the tongues with the alleged half inch material on
the vertical and the dado blade set with the lead cutter 1/4 (31/64")
away from the fence.

It goes quickly. Use a featherboard and a tall fence.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)

Todd Fatheree

"Hax Planx" wrote in message
.net...
dadiOH says...

John Moorhead wrote:

Am I now to expect that 1/2 ply, er, 23/32 can't be relied upon, and I
should expect something between 3/8" and a full 1/2"? This is NUTS.
Especially at close to 50 bucks a sheet.

Welcome to the wonderful world of imports.

I'm wondering if you get more consistency with Appleply or real Baltic
birch. You know, the expensive stuff. I'm not surprised it would be a
problem with home center quality materials. But in their defense, these
materials are intended for construction, not precision woodworking.

First, it's my supposition that the BB has a tighter tolerance. As for the
rest of your comment, I believe most of us are talking about hardwood ply
from our local hardwood supplier. At least I was in my case.

todd

bob

Use the Dadowiz to cut every dado to exactly the width of the board that is
going into THAT dado. Extremely easy to use.

http://www.woodline.com/scripts/prod...?idproduct=688

Bob

[...]

CW

If you ask nicely, I would bet Leon will send you plans for his jig. Fast,
easy setup, and accommodates various sizes easily.
Pat Warner does the same thing with two pieces of wood and a couple of
clamps.

"JeffB" wrote in message
Having experienced your exact problem, and not possessing the "plywood"

sized
router bits, I've been very happy with the router jig
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...rings_id=10482 -
manufactured by Accurate Woodworking Tools

http://www.accuratewoodtools.com/. It
automatically sizes the dados to the exact thickness of the plywood (or

other
stock) that you have, using a standard 1/4" or 1/2" router bit.

No connection to either company, just a satisfied woodworker.
--
JeffB
remove no.spam. to email

Tom Watson

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 02:09:12 GMT, Larry Kraus
wrote:

It goes even more quickly with a radial arm saw. Laying the material
flat on the table top is much more stable than sliding it vertically
along a tall fence.

Wouldn't tolerate one taking up shop space.

Never saw one that could maintain even depth over a twenty four inch
dado.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)
Prometheus

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 09:57:55 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

Your dado thickness guide is a keeper. I like that. Thank you sir.

I do some metal work. Mostly fabrications out of squate tubing. Although
there is far less size discrepancies in metal than wood, it is an increasing
problem there too. Particularly in the corner shape. Which changes the time
and skill required to do the fabrication.

You're not kidding there- we've got three or four steel suppliers at
work, and every single one of them has a different corner shape.
Doesn't matter all that much to the operations I'm performing, but it
sure does **** off the plasma cutter operators and the welders.

Like you, I bring samples to the yard to check them against what they give
me. And I submit samples each time I order. Even then, they screw up the
order now and then.

So I have already been doing this. I just did not think to apply it to wood.
smacks forehead

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

B a r r y

bob wrote:
Use the Dadowiz to cut every dado to exactly the width of the board that is
going into THAT dado. Extremely easy to use.

http://www.woodline.com/scripts/prod...?idproduct=688

$159??? G

You can make a simple pantograph jig in 10 minutes that do just as well

It takes the dado width measurement right from the material, just like
the $159 + shipping version.

Barry
Lee Michaels

wrote:

It goes even more quickly with a radial arm saw. Laying the material
flat on the table top is much more stable than sliding it vertically
along a tall fence.

Wouldn't tolerate one taking up shop space.

Never saw one that could maintain even depth over a twenty four inch
dado.

LOL

I like radial arm saws, but I know EXACTLY of what you speak.

I have a friend who tried to cut a very hard peice of aluminium on his
radial arm saw. It caused the arm to bend upward. If you tried to cut a
3/8' dado on a 9' board, the dado would start at 3/8' and end almost at the
surface.

So what this guy did was to cut the dado from both directions. Then cut down
the sides with a hand saw. Then chisel out the rest.

Not exactly fine woodworking.

J. Clarke

wrote:

It goes even more quickly with a radial arm saw. Laying the material
flat on the table top is much more stable than sliding it vertically
along a tall fence.

Wouldn't tolerate one taking up shop space.

Never saw one that could maintain even depth over a twenty four inch
dado.

LOL

I like radial arm saws, but I know EXACTLY of what you speak.

I have a friend who tried to cut a very hard peice of aluminium on his
radial arm saw. It caused the arm to bend upward. If you tried to cut a
3/8' dado on a 9' board, the dado would start at 3/8' and end almost at
the surface.

So what this guy did was to cut the dado from both directions. Then cut
down the sides with a hand saw. Then chisel out the rest.

Not exactly fine woodworking.

What are you people _doing_ to those poor saws? It sounds to me like you're
trying to force the work. Let the saw do the work, feed it as fast as it
cuts. If it flexes 3/8 inch while cutting a dado then you need to _fix_ it
because it's _busted_.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Duane Bozarth

"J. Clarke" wrote:
...If it flexes 3/8 inch while cutting a dado then you need to _fix_ it
because it's _busted_.

It's probably using that dado set after trying to cut aircraft Al w/
it...

I agree...unless the RAS in question is a real POS, it should be quite
possible to do as accurate work as necessary...
Tom Watson

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:58:31 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I've owned three radicalalarm saws, the most recent being an Italian
made Dewalt that was intended for cabinet shop use (It was
green-looked kinda funny in a Delta grey shopppe).

The deal on the most recent one was that it would crosscut to 25",
thus making it useful in a casegoods shop, where tops have to be cut.

That sumbitch wouldn't hold a dado to depth, neither.

The geometry of the damned saw is all wrong for doing things that
involve maintaining a given depth over the run of the arm.

It would only crosscut to within about a thirty-second, which I did
not feel was good enough.

I've owned them, I've used them, I've treated them nice - they still
suck.

The geometry is all wrong.

A buddy of mine has one of the old lumberyard style Dewalts, bulky as
Bubba amd heavier than iron mound dirt, and he set it on ninety and
tack welded it,

It still only cuts to within a thirty-second.

To me they are the Swiss Army Knife of fixed equipment - and suffer
the same problems.