Lee Michaels

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Upscale" wrote in message
"Swingman"wrote in message
A necessary PITA these days if you work to any kind of tolerances where
multiple units must have the same measurement, and things like drawer

slides
must fit drawers made long before a cabinet is put together.

This is your business right? Isn't there any way you can negotiate

slightly
purchases of plywood that all conform to the same thickness? What a royal
pain in the butt.

No one in the building industry, at least in this area, will guarantee
anything regarding material dimensions these days, and if they did, it has
been my experience that you would do well to verify it yourself in any
event.

Since I am one of those who does FF's first on cabinets, it saves time,
not
to mention peace of mind, in the long run to insure that I don't have to
re-cut dadoes in FF's.

I do a good deal of pre-planning, and since I order on a purchase order
before delivery, I generally make two trips in any event. The first to
check
color, grade, grain, price, etc, the second to take delivery.

In between is when I take the extra step to cut a dado as a "thickness
guide" for individual sheets when I pick up the order.

Your dado thickness guide is a keeper. I like that. Thank you sir.

I do some metal work. Mostly fabrications out of squate tubing. Although
there is far less size discrepancies in metal than wood, it is an increasing
problem there too. Particularly in the corner shape. Which changes the time
and skill required to do the fabrication.

Like you, I bring samples to the yard to check them against what they give
me. And I submit samples each time I order. Even then, they screw up the
order now and then.

So I have already been doing this. I just did not think to apply it to wood.
smacks forehead