Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Round frames on router table

This is my setup for making round art frames for some of my wife's glasswork.
I'm trying a new design with the grain flowing radially instead of
circumferentially, all to avoid chip out and other routing challenges .

Picture 1 is the walnut frame after glue up (radial grain), and an oak frame,
both before routing

Picture 2 shows my circle jig mounted on the router table. The 1/2" pin
provides the pivot point for the wood frame.

Picture 3 shows the frame, double side taped to a square of hardboard acting
as a hub. This is mounted on the jig, ready for cutting.

Next up is a close up of the end grain after a quick trim. I was worried
about tear out and if I also needed to 'climb cut' this new design. Turns out
a standard direction of feed works nicely.

Last photo: Both the inside and outside diameters have been cut. Next step is
to cut a dado/groove recess for the artwork and back panel.

Attached Thumbnails
Round frames on router table-img_3711-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 02/20/2012 05:24 AM, Bruce wrote:
This is my setup for making round art frames for some of my wife's glasswork.
I'm trying a new design with the grain flowing radially instead of
circumferentially, all to avoid chip out and other routing challenges .

It will be interesting to watch the radially glued frame over time. I
would expect that seasonal expansion and contraction may cause some
issues. It may not, being only a couple inches wide, but worth keeping
your eye on.

Pretty frames however. I hope they do hold up. I'm sure your wife will
love them. Post a finished shot when you get there...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 10:43:51 -0700, Kevin Miller wrote
(in article ):

On 02/20/2012 05:24 AM, Bruce wrote:
This is my setup for making round art frames for some of my wife's
glasswork.
I'm trying a new design with the grain flowing radially instead of
circumferentially, all to avoid chip out and other routing challenges .

It will be interesting to watch the radially glued frame over time. I
would expect that seasonal expansion and contraction may cause some
issues. It may not, being only a couple inches wide, but worth keeping
your eye on.

Yes, fingers crossed. I went ahead and split the frame into to circles and
did the overlap just in case...

Pretty frames however. I hope they do hold up. I'm sure your wife will
love them. Post a finished shot when you get there...

WillDo.
-BR

...Kevin

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 02/20/2012 02:12 PM, Bruce wrote:

Yes, fingers crossed. I went ahead and split the frame into to circles and
did the overlap just in case...

Good idea. I didn't realize you were layering them. That should help I
think...

--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
In a recent survey, 7 out of 10 hard drives preferred Linux
Registered Linux User No: 307357, http://linuxcounter.net
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 17:26:13 -0700, Kevin Miller wrote
(in article ):

On 02/20/2012 02:12 PM, Bruce wrote:

Yes, fingers crossed. I went ahead and split the frame into to circles and
did the overlap just in case...

Good idea. I didn't realize you were layering them. That should help I
think...

Heh! I wasn't layering them until you made me paranoid!

I think I'll need to do a real stress test, try to cycle the moisture content
as much as possible and compare the results. This might be the final driver
as to using radial grain layout (and ease of shaping), or the more
traditional circumferential grain (and more difficult shaping, but possibly
better resistance to splitting)

-Bruce

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 02/25/2012 04:51 AM, Bruce wrote:

Heh! I wasn't layering them until you made me paranoid!

I think I'll need to do a real stress test, try to cycle the moisture content
as much as possible and compare the results. This might be the final driver
as to using radial grain layout (and ease of shaping), or the more
traditional circumferential grain (and more difficult shaping, but possibly
better resistance to splitting)

Be interesting to hear how that works out. Normally I'd expect that
moisture content would be very time dependent - it happens very slowly
over the seasons. I know if I dry bowls too fast they crack. Probably
have a similar issue if they humidity is raised too quickly. You might
make a couple and just put them on the shelf for a year or so as well as
making a couple to do a more rapid cycling on...

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska