Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Round Over Problem- Too big for router?

I'm trying to make a shackle for a lock out of "Making Wooden Locks"
by Tim Detweiller. I'm trying to make an oversized version- however-
I need essentially make a 2" round, u-shaped piece of wood. While I
could rout it with a 1" round over- I only need one and don't want to
shell out the $45 for one cut. The final project will be a "U" that
is 2" around and would fit in a 10" x 16" x 2" box.

Anyone have a good work around that is pseudo-safe?

Stumped,

ktow

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 4, 12:39 pm, ktow wrote:
I'm trying to make a shackle for a lock out of "Making Wooden Locks"
by Tim Detweiller. I'm trying to make an oversized version- however-
I need essentially make a 2" round, u-shaped piece of wood. While I
could rout it with a 1" round over- I only need one and don't want to
shell out the $45 for one cut. The final project will be a "U" that
is 2" around and would fit in a 10" x 16" x 2" box.

Anyone have a good work around that is pseudo-safe?

Stumped,

ktow

Chamfering bit followed by a rasp

Posted to rec.woodworking

Get a 2" dowel and bend it.

Pete Stanaitis
----------------------

ktow wrote:

I'm trying to make a shackle for a lock out of "Making Wooden Locks"
by Tim Detweiller. I'm trying to make an oversized version- however-
I need essentially make a 2" round, u-shaped piece of wood. While I
could rout it with a 1" round over- I only need one and don't want to
shell out the $45 for one cut. The final project will be a "U" that
is 2" around and would fit in a 10" x 16" x 2" box.

Anyone have a good work around that is pseudo-safe?

Stumped,

ktow

Posted to rec.woodworking

Surely you must have at least one of these ......
Hands ( hopefully U have 2, but you could manage with one)
Chisel
Plane / spokeshave
Rasp
Knife
Sandpaper
project could have been finished in the time it took to post and read

"ktow" wrote in message
s.com...
I'm trying to make a shackle for a lock out of "Making Wooden Locks"
by Tim Detweiller. I'm trying to make an oversized version- however-
I need essentially make a 2" round, u-shaped piece of wood. While I
could rout it with a 1" round over- I only need one and don't want to
shell out the $45 for one cut. The final project will be a "U" that
is 2" around and would fit in a 10" x 16" x 2" box.

Anyone have a good work around that is pseudo-safe?

Stumped,

ktow

Posted to rec.woodworking

"ktow" wrote:

I'm trying to make a shackle for a lock out of "Making Wooden Locks"
by Tim Detweiller. I'm trying to make an oversized version- however-
I need essentially make a 2" round, u-shaped piece of wood. While I
could rout it with a 1" round over- I only need one and don't want to
shell out the $45 for one cut. The final project will be a "U" that
is 2" around and would fit in a 10" x 16" x 2" box.

Basically the same as fairing out a boat hull.

Make a half round template to check your work as you proceed.

Cut out a blank with a saber saw, then it is time for a rotary tool of
choice, something like a low speed die grinder, say 2,000 RPM max.

If you have a decent air compressor, a pneumatic drill for $20 from HF
does the job nicely.

Hog out excess material with rotary rasps, then finish with flap
wheels, using template to check your work as you go.

Lew