Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Acceptable ply

I went to woodcraft to pick up the baltic/finnish ply bundle they have
on sale for 19.99.

I figured I couldn't lose, and I haven't, but I didn't get what I
expected. In it was a piece of luan, and 2 pieces of cheap ply .
The finnish ply has voids and a very wierd overlap. Overall I probably
got my monies worth, but when they advertise baltic and finnish you
expect that, not substitutes.

See their ad.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...-Bundle-1.aspx

Attached Thumbnails
Acceptable ply-sdc10288-jpg  Acceptable ply-sdc10289-jpg  Acceptable ply-sdc10295-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Acceptable ply more pics

On 11/2/2011 8:35 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
I went to woodcraft to pick up the baltic/finnish ply bundle they have
on sale for 19.99.

I figured I couldn't lose, and I haven't, but I didn't get what I
expected. In it was a piece of luan, and 2 pieces of cheap ply .
The finnish ply has voids and a very wierd overlap. Overall I probably
got my monies worth, but when they advertise baltic and finnish you
expect that, not substitutes.

See their ad.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...-Bundle-1.aspx

Attached Thumbnails
Acceptable ply-sdc10292-jpg  Acceptable ply-sdc10294-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 11/2/2011 7:35 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
I went to woodcraft to pick up the baltic/finnish ply bundle they have
on sale for 19.99.

I figured I couldn't lose, and I haven't, but I didn't get what I
expected. In it was a piece of luan, and 2 pieces of cheap ply .
The finnish ply has voids and a very wierd overlap. Overall I probably
got my monies worth, but when they advertise baltic and finnish you
expect that, not substitutes.

See their ad.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...-Bundle-1.aspx

You're tired of spam, I'm tired of being scammed.

With plywood these days, it you don't inspect it in person, buy it on
the spot when you find something that will work ... and make damn sure
you buy enough to finish whatever it is you're doing, because you're
unlikely to ever find the same dimension/quality in the next batch, from
the same manufacturer ... you've shot yourself in the foot.

The 21st is the century of ******. The corporate mentality will sell you
**** for Shinola if given the chance, and they don't give a **** whether
you like it or not.

Woodcraft is not an exception. Rockler's "Baltic birch" is about as
"Baltic" as "Cooyon Duhon":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsGTx22rFOI

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Yea I knew that ply has its problems... but come on sticking luan in a
baltic / finnish pack.. BTW the face has many filled voids with that
nice beautiful filler. Not what I would expect again from baltic/finnish
birch. Nor would I expect the voids..

On 11/2/2011 8:56 PM, Swingman wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Looks like skid quality stuff!

I picked up some nice pine plywood real cheap from HD a year ago on a trail
(for me and the store) and they aren't getting any more in stock **SIGH**.
Yeah I picked up what I needed but one piece became an extension for my
dining room table for last Christmas with 20 guests. Now the project is
starting this winter.

BTW: would you use the pegboard if you were doing over again?

--------------
"tiredofspam" wrote in message

Yea I knew that ply has its problems... but come on sticking luan in a
baltic / finnish pack.. BTW the face has many filled voids with that
nice beautiful filler. Not what I would expect again from baltic/finnish
birch. Nor would I expect the voids..

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Josepi" wrote in
:

Looks like skid quality stuff!

I picked up some nice pine plywood real cheap from HD a year ago on a
trail (for me and the store) and they aren't getting any more in stock
**SIGH**. Yeah I picked up what I needed but one piece became an
extension for my dining room table for last Christmas with 20 guests.
Now the project is starting this winter.

BTW: would you use the pegboard if you were doing over again?

Home Depot seems to have a "Special" plywood every so often. A short time
ago it was some nice looking pine (a couple of years maybe) and before that
it was birch-faced ply. It's just one of those things to check when you're
there. (Along with the cull lumber rack--if your store has one.)

Puckdropper
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Yes and no on the peg board.
I have a wall full of tools. I keep all my planes in a recommissioned
dresser. I like the plastic locks that peg board has these days,less
fall of then they used to.

In my machine room I have ply on the walls. I like the customization
that I can do with the ply. I should shoot some images of my shop.
Somethings are really neat. Like the card catalog that I got from a
local high school for $10 during an auction.. I lined the bottoms with
1/8 luan and have excellent organization drawers.

The peg board can easily be reconfigured. And I have done that many
times. Once my son went to college I took over the area I built for him
for my machines... So the peg board allowed quick changes. I support the
peg board frequently (with pine squares that I made and drilled thru) so
I can hang heavy objects, and they keep out of the way.

I like wood though, and have thought about bringing the ply walls to my
main shop. But then everything has to be redone, and that takes away
from project time.

Many times I make my own racks that fit on the peg board. I just
straighten L shaped hooks and drill holes in my racks... So I get what I
want without fussing to much. I'd rather be building something than
working on fixing up the shop. Sometimes L hooks plus dowels..

Lot's of possibilities, quick tool recognition...(although I can lose a
tool right in front of me)...

On 11/2/2011 10:01 PM, Josepi wrote:
Looks like skid quality stuff!

I picked up some nice pine plywood real cheap from HD a year ago on a
trail (for me and the store) and they aren't getting any more in stock
**SIGH**. Yeah I picked up what I needed but one piece became an
extension for my dining room table for last Christmas with 20 guests.
Now the project is starting this winter.

BTW: would you use the pegboard if you were doing over again?

--------------
"tiredofspam" wrote in message

Yea I knew that ply has its problems... but come on sticking luan in a
baltic / finnish pack.. BTW the face has many filled voids with that
nice beautiful filler. Not what I would expect again from baltic/finnish
birch. Nor would I expect the voids..

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I always thought that pegboard would be ideal, years ago until we used some
at work and found that unless you outline all the tools, marking their
places, multiple "holes" end up with a mess. Of course this is much worse
with multiple users, too...LOL
The hooks always ended up expensive and falling out was a problem for us
also.

The reason I am interested is setting up a shop, slowly and the wife has
volunteered a Tool Chest for Christmas and I am shopping for the best for
price. Never had one before and wondering how my tools will end up
organized. I like the idea of keeping some sawdust out of them. Fighting
with drawer depths, right now and they really like to hide that figure on
the more economical units.

I think it will end up being a combination of storage techniques, for sure.
I have my fingers dirty in so many trades, just finishing building a house,
ourselves. Smaller projects will be a welcome rest for our backs. Then there
is the interlocking driveway we put off 'till spring.... I need a
Chiropractor, Masseuse and Ibuprofen dispenser on retainer.

---------
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 11/02/2011 05:27 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
Yea I knew that ply has its problems... but come on sticking luan in a
baltic / finnish pack.. BTW the face has many filled voids with that
nice beautiful filler. Not what I would expect again from baltic/finnish
birch. Nor would I expect the voids..

I'd write their customer relations department. They may blow you off,
or they may try to make it up to you somehow. If they know you're
unhappy and are letting others know it, they wise up. Like kids, they
will only do what they think they can get away with...

--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Again, for $20 it's still a good price. Certainly not for the original
$39... then you are not getting what you paid for.
But yea, when they say Baltic and Finnish... I think Baltic and Finnish
not underlayment(LUAN)... and certainly not VOIDS in the layers, nor
face voids... That's why you pay more for that wood...