Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How much sagging is acceptable?

Hi,

We bought our house last year and a friend of mine pointed out our
sagging floors just in the main entrance area (First floor on top of
the basement). There are around 5 rows of titles (each spanning 15
titles). The first row closest to the living room is perfectly straight
while the second row has a slight downward slope all the way to the
last row closest to the kitchen (less than 1/2 inch depth). It looks
like it has stablized and it's not sagging any more. Both the living
room and our kitchen area is perfectly leveled. Our house is around 18
years old and the tiles don't have any crack or loose grout (except in
some parts as a result of poor tiling). What I want to know is that is
this a bad tiling job? or sagging? Also if it has stablized do I need
to worry about it? It's not noticable at all.

BTW, also there is height fluctuation between floor and the baseboards
anywhere from 0-1/4 inches.

Thanks
Maz

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, wrote:
[...]

It sounds very stable. One good thing about tiles... they'll
soon reveal any further movement. I wouldn't worry about it
unless you start to see new cracks appearing.

I suspect the installer just did a lousy job of getting the
floor level before laying the tiles. It the sag was caused
by movement, I'd expect to see significant cracking of the
tiles and grout.

Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd try to find out why things have deflected, then the prognosis.

Sloppy workmanship is one thing, inadequate support something else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd try to find out why things have deflected, then the prognosis.

Sloppy workmanship is one thing, inadequate support something else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

You didn't say how old the house was, but how in the world would you know if
the sagging had stabilized? My friend just finished leveling his foundation
near the chimney and there wasn't a significant amount of cracking or
outward indications that the house was slowly sinking on that side. It took
his house 100 years to sink 5 inches, what would you expect to see in 1
year?

Others have suggested this, I will too. Find out why it's sagging then come
back and ask.