Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default How much sagging is acceptable?

"Eigenvector" wrote in
:

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

We bought our house last year and a friend of mine pointed out our
sagging floors just in the main entrance area (First floor on top of
the basement). There are around 5 rows of titles (each spanning 15
titles). The first row closest to the living room is perfectly
straight while the second row has a slight downward slope all the way
to the last row closest to the kitchen (less than 1/2 inch depth). It
looks like it has stablized and it's not sagging any more. Both the
living room and our kitchen area is perfectly leveled. Our house is
around 18 years old and the tiles don't have any crack or loose grout
(except in some parts as a result of poor tiling). What I want to
know is that is this a bad tiling job? or sagging? Also if it has
stablized do I need to worry about it? It's not noticable at all.

BTW, also there is height fluctuation between floor and the
baseboards anywhere from 0-1/4 inches.

Thanks
Maz

You didn't say how old the house was,

Read it again.

but how in the world would you
know if the sagging had stabilized? My friend just finished leveling
his foundation near the chimney and there wasn't a significant amount
of cracking or outward indications that the house was slowly sinking
on that side. It took his house 100 years to sink 5 inches, what
would you expect to see in 1 year?

Others have suggested this, I will too. Find out why it's sagging
then come back and ask.