Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is this Electrically Acceptable?

Hi all

I am looking at broadband and one or two other bits and pieces.
In the loft I have 2 3A switched fused spurs off the upstairs lighting
circuit.

I am likely to need 3/4 supplies up the
Network switch
Router/modem
TV splitter
A N Other

Will one 3A feed supply two of these?
If so, can I hard wire a 2 gang extension into each of the spurs and label
them clearly "for ???? use only"?

Surely if someone tried to plug a kettle in(?) anyway, it would simply
result in a blown fuse?

TIA

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Hi all

I am looking at broadband and one or two other bits and pieces.
In the loft I have 2 3A switched fused spurs off the upstairs lighting
circuit.

I am likely to need 3/4 supplies up the
Network switch
Router/modem
TV splitter
A N Other

Will one 3A feed supply two of these?
If so, can I hard wire a 2 gang extension into each of the spurs and label
them clearly "for ???? use only"?

Surely if someone tried to plug a kettle in(?) anyway, it would simply
result in a blown fuse?

Sits back with popcorn and awaits next post describing the fire brigades
attempts at extinguishing a blaze

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
I am looking at broadband and one or two other bits and pieces.
In the loft I have 2 3A switched fused spurs off the upstairs lighting
circuit.

I am likely to need 3/4 supplies up the
Network switch
Router/modem
TV splitter
A N Other

Will one 3A feed supply two of these?

I was running a WiFi access point, 8 port switch and a 800mz computer
off of a 3A spur off the lights, it worked.
That should be a comparable load to the above.

If so, can I hard wire a 2 gang extension into each of the spurs and label
them clearly "for ???? use only"?

Personally I wouldn't hard wire, I'd just put a 4way in on a normal 13A
plug off one of the spurs....

Surely if someone tried to plug a kettle in(?) anyway, it would simply
result in a blown fuse?

.... I'd think as long as you labled the fused spur "3A ONLY", you'd be
ok. I don't think you'd need both spurs, I would consider getting rid
of one of them. If you have 2 x 3A spurs running at full whack you
could overload/blow/trip the 6A lighting circuit.

I'm not qualified - but I seem to recall being given this advice by
someone who was.

HTH,
Will

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:

Hi all

I am looking at broadband and one or two other bits and pieces.
In the loft I have 2 3A switched fused spurs off the upstairs lighting
circuit.

I am likely to need 3/4 supplies up the
Network switch
Router/modem
TV splitter
A N Other

Will one 3A feed supply two of these?

it would supply all of them and more

If so, can I hard wire a 2 gang extension into each of the spurs and label
them clearly "for ???? use only"?

can, yes, but should, not really. If you use a non-standard plug/socket
type you'll be ok in the 'should' dept as well as the works fine dept.

Surely if someone tried to plug a kettle in(?) anyway, it would simply
result in a blown fuse?

fuses blow at way above their rated carrying current.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that TheScullster formulated :
Hi all

I am looking at broadband and one or two other bits and pieces.
In the loft I have 2 3A switched fused spurs off the upstairs lighting
circuit.

I am likely to need 3/4 supplies up the
Network switch
Router/modem
TV splitter
A N Other

Will one 3A feed supply two of these?
If so, can I hard wire a 2 gang extension into each of the spurs and label
them clearly "for ???? use only"?

Surely if someone tried to plug a kettle in(?) anyway, it would simply result
in a blown fuse?

TIA

Phil

Dodgy area, so it needs the application of a little common sense. A
single 3amp outlet would be more than capable of supplying all of
those, except perhaps the A N Other.

Hard wire a single switched, fused spur unit with flex outlet into the
lighting supply. Fit a 3amp fuse in the spur, cut the plug off one of
those four way 13 amp socket outlets and wire it directly into the
spur. 3 amps should more than take care of all of your needs.

Mark the spur as 'max fuse rating 3amp' and perhaps leave a spare 3 amp
fuse taped to it, also mark the 4way 'max total load 3amp'.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:

Hi all

I am looking at broadband and one or two other bits and pieces.
In the loft I have 2 3A switched fused spurs off the upstairs lighting
circuit.

I am likely to need 3/4 supplies up the
Network switch
Router/modem
TV splitter
A N Other

Will one 3A feed supply two of these?

Chances are, it will do that lot ten times over.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:55:28 -0000, "TheScullster"
wrote:

Hi all

I am looking at broadband and one or two other bits and pieces.
In the loft I have 2 3A switched fused spurs off the upstairs lighting
circuit.

I am likely to need 3/4 supplies up the
Network switch
Router/modem
TV splitter
A N Other

Will one 3A feed supply two of these?

3A at 230V is almost 700 Watts...

Add together the wattages of your items and see if they come anywhere
near 700W.

At that sort of power you can ignore switch-on surges of the above
items (apart from whatever A N Other might be!).

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

I am looking at broadband and one or two other bits and pieces.
In the loft I have 2 3A switched fused spurs off the upstairs lighting
circuit.

I am likely to need 3/4 supplies up the
Network switch
Router/modem
TV splitter
A N Other

Will one 3A feed supply two of these?

.................................................. ............
Gee whiz. Three (3) amps at 230 volts is 690 watts. The equipment
mentioned not likely to consumemore than a third of that? Plenty of
capacity most likely including plugging in a portable light while
working up there?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TheScullster wrote:
I am likely to need 3/4 supplies up the
Network switch
Router/modem
TV splitter
A N Other

Will one 3A feed supply two of these?

Pretty well any mains device has its power consumption given somewhere -
usually on the device itself. Usually in watts or VA. For this purpose
they can be considered the same. Add all the 'watts' together and divide
by mains voltage - use 250 to make the maths easier. That gives you the
figure in amps. The A N Other *might* be a problem - if it is a 3 kW fan
heater.

--
*Ah, I see the f**k-up fairy has visited us again

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.