Posted to alt.home.repair
PB2 PB2 is offline

Default New granite - is this acceptable

Hi,

I just had a new granite counter top installed in a new bathroom. We
don't have much experience with this kind of thing and noticed this on
the back splash (see image). The line you can observe is not stone,
but something softer (some kind of epoxy).

Is this kind of thing acceptable? I know natural stone isn't perfect,
but in my opinion this looks bad.

How can they fix something like this? Is it possible to remove the
backsplash or will they have to replace the whole counter top?

I haven't been able to connect with the stone person yet, but should I
expect push back?

Thanks,
PB2

http://banerji.smugmug.com/photos/622183768_PLrZo-M.jpg
http://banerji.smugmug.com/photos/622183725_BS88y-M.jpg

img src="http://banerji.smugmug.com/photos/622183768_PLrZo-M.jpg"/
img
img src="http://banerji.smugmug.com/photos/622183725_BS88y-M.jpg/
img
Posted to alt.home.repair

Did you mention this when it was being installed? I'd have made note
of it and probably not even allowed them to install it. Minor
imperfections come with all natural products but that looks like
sh*t. I hope you didnt pay completely.

http://banerji.smugmug.com/photos/62...25_BS88y-M.jpg

img src="http://banerji.smugmug.com/photos/622183768_PLrZo-M.jpg"/
img
img src="http://banerji.smugmug.com/photos/622183725_BS88y-M.jpg/
img

Posted to alt.home.repair

PB2 wrote:
[...]

For what you paid (I just paid to have
my new kitchen done in granite),
I wouldn't accept something like that.
The backsplash should be easy to
remove and replace. The hard part, for
the granite guy, might be
searching for a new piece that matches
in color and texture.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 6:59*am, PB2 wrote:
[...]

You mean the verticle brown patch that doesnt match in color, not the
horizontal seam? He could have turned it over and polished the other
side, they didnt even match the area fixed. At least get a discount. I
have that granite maybe 40 ft of it and I may or may not notice it but
yours is the Bath Sink, but now you notice that area because you are
fixed on it, that granite has alot going on in it. A photo is one
thing, if someone else just came to look would they notice it without
being told? I mean yes its a defect, but did you pay the lowest price
or get pitched a perfect job. Its hard to realy say without being
there but at least get a discount and tell them to reverse the piece.
I guess its how much it bothers you with your lighting etc, and a Bath
Sink is an important area you see many times a day unlike my counters
with parts that are hidden under kitchen apliances and junk, id
probably be ****ed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
PB2 wrote:

Hi,

I just had a new granite counter top installed in a new bathroom. We
don't have much experience with this kind of thing and noticed this on
the back splash (see image). The line you can observe is not stone,
but something softer (some kind of epoxy).

Is this kind of thing acceptable?

It wouldn't be to me. But then neither is using google to access usenet.

I know natural stone isn't perfect,
but in my opinion this looks bad.

How can they fix something like this? Is it possible to remove the
backsplash or will they have to replace the whole counter top?

I haven't been able to connect with the stone person yet, but should I
expect push back?

Posted to alt.home.repair
PB2 PB2 is offline

On Aug 17, 8:29*am, Big Jim wrote:
Did you mention this when it was being installed? *I'd have made note
of it and probably not even allowed them to install it. *Minor
imperfections come with all natural products but that looks like
sh*t. *I hope you didnt pay completely.

I wasn't home when it was being installed, so I was only able to
comment on it at the time. I did notice it as soon as I walked in the
bathroom, though.

I haven't paid for the granite yet. It almost looks like someone
accidentally cut it in the wrong place, then filled it in with
something else. I wasn't sure if this kind of thing was common and I
was being oversensitive. It sounds like I'm not and it really does
look bad.

This is a pretty standard order of stone, so I'm hoping it won't be
too hard to match it.

Thanks,
PB
Posted to alt.home.repair

Good . Tell the installer to either polish the other side of the
piece adn reinstall or replace it. If you let it go you will stare at
the spot and hate it till you sell the house

On Aug 17, 9:17*am, PB2 wrote:
On Aug 17, 8:29*am, Big Jim wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

PB2 wrote:
[...]

The backsplash is unacceptable. The vendor should replace it and match
the replacement to the counter top. If he cannot match them he should
replace both the splash and the top. It's hard to believe that a
responsible vendor would try to pull this crap on you,

EJ in NJ
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 8:17*am, PB2 wrote:
On Aug 17, 8:29*am, Big Jim wrote:

[...]

Have him turn it around and polish the other side.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"EJ Willson" wrote in message
PB2 wrote:
[...]

I totally agree. They made a mistake in a cut, and then plugged it, and
badly. They could have ground up some of the same granite, mixed it with
clear epoxy and it would have at least looked a lot better.

How unacceptable is up to you. If you want to have him take off some money,
and put a toaster there, it's up to you. But this is a mistake that was
covered up badly.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Aug 17, 8:17 am, PB2 wrote:
On Aug 17, 8:29 am, Big Jim wrote:

[...]

This might be possible, if the blemish is not a cut that goes all the
way through the piece.

EJ in NJ
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/17/2009 9:09 AM SteveB spake thus:

How unacceptable is up to you. If you want to have him take off some money,
and put a toaster there, it's up to you.

Didn't you mean to write "electric toothbrush"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

EJ Willson wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Aug 17, 8:17 am, PB2 wrote:
On Aug 17, 8:29 am, Big Jim wrote:

[...]

Sure looks like a false-start cut to me, and should have been caught by
the guy doing the polishing. If they don't have any matching pieces in
the pile out back to make a new backsplash, I'd give them one shot at
having their best installer patch it using a dremel, some dust off their
cutting table, and the expoxy they use for invisible joints. Otherwise,
they can eat the top and switch it out.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Big Jim wrote in
:

http://banerji.smugmug.com/photos/62...http://banerji.
smu

gmug.com/photos/622183725_BS88y-M.jpg

img src="http://banerji.smugmug.com/photos/622183768_PLrZo-M.jpg"/
img
img src="http://banerji.smugmug.com/photos/622183725_BS88y-M.jpg/
img

Ditto. Looks like ****.

If you get push back ask them if they would use such a piece on their
display?

Forget the flip and polish. They should have been smart enough to hide it
up front. If they object, ask how it got through inspections.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

Forget the flip and polish. They should have been smart enough to hide it
up front. If they object, ask how it got through inspections.

It's a cosmetic blemish, so there is no inspection other than the customer.
Looks to me like they screwed up with the saw and tried to use the piece anyway.
Even if it doesn't bother you, it may bother a potential buyer, so I'd make them
replace it.

Fortunately, the material is relatively cheap and because it's a backsplash and
not a surface joint, it doesn't need to match exactly. It's also mechanically
easy to replace, so the installer isn't going to be out a lot of time or money
doing the job the way it should have been.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Neville" wrote in message

Fortunately, the material is relatively cheap and because it's a
backsplash and
not a surface joint, it doesn't need to match exactly. It's also
mechanically
easy to replace, so the installer isn't going to be out a lot of time or
money
doing the job the way it should have been.

Exactly. So why the hell didn't they replace it and "do it right" the first
time?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 04:59:19 -0700 (PDT), PB2
wrote:

Hi,

I just had a new granite counter top installed in a new bathroom. We
don't have much experience with this kind of thing and noticed this on
the back splash (see image). The line you can observe is not stone,
but something softer (some kind of epoxy).

Is this kind of thing acceptable? I know natural stone isn't perfect,
but in my opinion this looks bad.

How can they fix something like this? Is it possible to remove the
backsplash or will they have to replace the whole counter top

With the cultured marble they fixed defects like that with a mixture
of ground up cultured marble of the same color and resin. If that is
a cut that's been filled in it certainly could have been filled in
with a better match of material. I would think someone who knew what
they were doing would have made it match so well you would never have
noticed it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ashton Crusher wrote in
:

wrote:

Hi,

I just had a new granite counter top installed in a new bathroom. We
don't have much experience with this kind of thing and noticed this on
the back splash (see image). The line you can observe is not stone,
but something softer (some kind of epoxy).

Is this kind of thing acceptable? I know natural stone isn't perfect,
but in my opinion this looks bad.

How can they fix something like this? Is it possible to remove the
backsplash or will they have to replace the whole counter top

With the cultured marble they fixed defects like that with a mixture
of ground up cultured marble of the same color and resin. If that is
a cut that's been filled in it certainly could have been filled in
with a better match of material.

Yea but that tube of Dap window caulk was right there handy.

I would think someone who knew what
they were doing would have made it match so well you would never have
noticed it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 6:59*am, PB2 wrote:
[...]

That is a defect bad enough to get it all re-done, if it was a pit in
the granite that they just filled, then its a hack-job thing to do.
For crying out loud they didn't even get it to match.

Also they didnt epoxy the splash to the top or polish the bottom edge
thats against the top, they left it rough cut with a ragged gap. On
my installs the guys will polish that edge too, then epoxy the splash
to the top making the whole thing seamless with no need for any
caulk. They will custom color the epoxy mix on-site even using some
dust from the same granite if they have to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 8:13*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*PB2 wrote:
Hi,

I just had a new granite counter top installed in a new bathroom. We
don't have much experience with this kind of thing and noticed this on
the back splash (see image). The line you can observe is not stone,
but something softer (some kind of epoxy).

Is this kind of thing acceptable?

It wouldn't be to me. But then neither is using google to access usenet.

I know natural stone isn't perfect,
but in my opinion this looks bad.

How can they fix something like this? Is it possible to remove the
backsplash or will they have to replace the whole counter top?

I haven't been able to connect with the stone person yet, but should I
expect push back?- Hide quoted text -

Google is the only thing keeping usenet still breathing as most ISP's
are closing NNTP ports. If it werent for Google usenet would be dying
by 2010.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 6:59�am, PB2 wrote:
[...]

I think this has been said a couple times, but the minute I saw it I
thought "That was a missed cut, and they filled it in." I would
insist on a new backsplash. I'll bet they almost figure on you doing
that. As suggested elsewhere, they might be able to remove the
existing piece and polish the other side. If that is from a bad cut,
though, it probably goes through to ther other side. In that case,
they will have to come up with a piece that matches, which may be easy
if they still have the same batch on hand. If they don't, you might
want to look into your right of refusal on the replacement piece.
Posted to alt.home.repair

PB2 wrote:
[...]

I pay a different company for usenet. With no binaries it costs about
$10 year. It used to be free but when word got out they had to upgrade
and charge. Well worth it for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 10:35:55 -0700 (PDT), Big Jim
wrote:

If it wasnt noticeable it wouldnt b e a problem.

On Aug 22, 4:58*am, Ashton Crusher wrote:

With the cultured marble they fixed defects like that with a mixture
of ground up cultured marble of the same color and resin. *If that is
a cut that's been filled in it certainly could have been filled in
with a better match of material. *I would think someone who knew what
they were doing would have made it match so well you would never have
noticed it.

Exactly. When our house was new 20+ years ago our cultured marble
bath top had some kind of similar defect which I put on the punchlist.
When we reinspected I couldn't find the defect, couldn't find any
defects, so I thought they had replaced the whole top but they said
the just repaired it. It's still not "findable".

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If it wasnt noticeable it wouldnt b e a problem.

On Aug 22, 4:58 am, Ashton Crusher wrote:

With the cultured marble they fixed defects like that with a mixture
of ground up cultured marble of the same color and resin. If that is
a cut that's been filled in it certainly could have been filled in
with a better match of material. I would think someone who knew what
they were doing would have made it match so well you would never have
noticed it.

Exactly. When our house was new 20+ years ago our cultured marble
bath top had some kind of similar defect which I put on the punchlist.
When we reinspected I couldn't find the defect, couldn't find any
defects, so I thought they had replaced the whole top but they said
the just repaired it. It's still not "findable".

Ditto. Caulk is not an "acceptable substitute."

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "h"
wrote:

"Robert Neville" wrote in message

Fortunately, the material is relatively cheap and because it's a
backsplash and
not a surface joint, it doesn't need to match exactly. It's also
mechanically
easy to replace, so the installer isn't going to be out a lot of time or
money
doing the job the way it should have been.

Exactly. So why the hell didn't they replace it and "do it right" the first
time?

Employees. Whenever I can, I hire tradespeople who work alone. My car
mechanic, electrician, and plumber all fall into that category. I don't
like paying for a bunch of advertising, fancy trucks, a showroom office,
and administrative personnel. All those trappings mean to me is that I'm
going to get a $10/hr. trainee at the jobsite instead of a professional.