Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Update: Goblets from hell - arts goblets-done.jpg (0/1)

Just a quick picture of the 2 goblets that my client picked to mail to his
sister's winery..
The deal was that he'd buy wood for 3, I'd charge him for turning 2 1/2 and he
could pick the 2 he liked best and then keep one for himself..
Since I hate commission work and should know not to take them, the extra goblet
took some of the pressure off me..

I'll have to shoot a few better shots before he picks them up..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote in message
Just a quick picture of the 2 goblets that my client picked to mail to his
sister's winery..
The deal was that he'd buy wood for 3, I'd charge him for turning 2 1/2
and he
could pick the 2 he liked best and then keep one for himself..
Since I hate commission work and should know not to take them, the extra
goblet
took some of the pressure off me..

You keep doing beautiful work like that, you may be doing even more
commisions!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 10:01:18 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
Just a quick picture of the 2 goblets that my client picked to mail to his
sister's winery..
The deal was that he'd buy wood for 3, I'd charge him for turning 2 1/2
and he
could pick the 2 he liked best and then keep one for himself..
Since I hate commission work and should know not to take them, the extra
goblet
took some of the pressure off me..

You keep doing beautiful work like that, you may be doing even more
commisions!

Thank you, Lee..
I hate commission work, but LOVE the way cocobolo buffs..

I don't mind commissions if someone wants " a couple of purpleheart pens" or "a
big bowl", but this guy gave me a wine class and wanted 2 "bigger" ones..
Not fun when you can't play with shape and form..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

mac davis wrote in
:

Just a quick picture of the 2 goblets that my client picked to mail to
his sister's winery..

These are what, 3 or 4 inches in diameter? Where do you find stock large
enough to turn these? I can find "planks" up to 1x4 but no square stuff
that big.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 18:16:32 GMT, Smaug Ichorfang wrote:

mac davis wrote in
:

Just a quick picture of the 2 goblets that my client picked to mail to
his sister's winery..

These are what, 3 or 4 inches in diameter? Where do you find stock large
enough to turn these? I can find "planks" up to 1x4 but no square stuff
that big.

http://www.anexotichardwood.com/pricelist.html

Bottom right under "turning stock"..
They even have 5 x 5's, but this job used 4x4's at $40 each..

I was lucky enough to find someone going to Carlsbad, CA for a weekend, so I
ordered and paid for them and they picked them up and brought them back across
the border.. We avoided shipping charges and import duty for the client that
way..

The goblets are about 9' tall and the bases and bowls are a little over 3 1/2"
diameter..
Sanded to 1,500 and run through the Beall buffing system..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

mac davis wrote:
Just a quick picture of the 2 goblets that my client picked to mail to his
sister's winery..
The deal was that he'd buy wood for 3, I'd charge him for turning 2 1/2 and he
could pick the 2 he liked best and then keep one for himself..
Since I hate commission work and should know not to take them, the extra goblet
took some of the pressure off me..

I'll have to shoot a few better shots before he picks them up..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Beautiful. What finish did you use?

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

To be, or not to be, those are the
parameters.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 18:57:33 -0500, Gerald Ross wrote:

mac davis wrote:
Just a quick picture of the 2 goblets that my client picked to mail to his
sister's winery..
The deal was that he'd buy wood for 3, I'd charge him for turning 2 1/2 and he
could pick the 2 he liked best and then keep one for himself..
Since I hate commission work and should know not to take them, the extra goblet
took some of the pressure off me..

I'll have to shoot a few better shots before he picks them up..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Beautiful. What finish did you use?

Thank you, Mr. Ross...
No real finish, just sanded on the lathe to 1,500 grit and buffed..