Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Finally finished my goblets

Here is a picture of a couple of goblets I just finished. The vessel
part of the goblet is Spanish Alder, the diamond shapes are Maple and
Bloodwood, and the stem is Lacewood.

Had a devil of a time with the vessel parts. That Alder is pretty soft
so it is difficult to get a clean cut, and also it flexes a lot.
Hollowing was a challenge. Had to do it very slowly and very light
cuts. Just touching a scraper to the inside caused a lot of vibration
and you could see the vessel deforming.

Finishing was a challenge too because I wanted to retain as much of the
original color of the Alder as I could. Most finishes I tried on scraps
darkened it too much, or yellowed it. Finally used the water based
Varathane Diamond Polyurethane for starters. It didn't darken the wood
as much as the others, and didn't yellow it at all. But it was very
difficult to get a good coat with no brush marks. After two or three
coats of that, I sanded it smooth and went over it with an oil based
wipe-on poly. The Varathane apparently sealed the wood since the oil
based poly didn't change the color any more. I just hope it sticks.

Now I can finally give them to my daughter in law. I made them for a
b-day present, but with all the problems I had I'm a little late. Her
b-day was two weeks ago. Crap!

Wayne

Attached Thumbnails
Finally finished my goblets-pb221866-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

NoOne N Particular wrote:

Here is a picture of a couple of goblets I just finished. The vessel
part of the goblet is Spanish Alder, the diamond shapes are Maple and
Bloodwood, and the stem is Lacewood.

... snip

Now I can finally give them to my daughter in law. I made them for a
b-day present, but with all the problems I had I'm a little late. Her
b-day was two weeks ago. Crap!

Wayne

Very nice; your daughter-in-law shouldn't mind you being a little late
with something like those

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 19:29:55 GMT, NoOne N Particular
wrote:

I'm always impressed by you folks who can turn.

Nice work!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Very nice! What glue did you use?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 19:29:55 GMT, NoOne N Particular
wrote:

Great job, Wayne..

Any "in progress" pictures?

[...]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Smaug Ichorfang wrote:
Very nice! What glue did you use?

Thanks. The glue was plain ol' TB III

Wayne
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

mac davis wrote:
On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 19:29:55 GMT, NoOne N Particular
wrote:

Great job, Wayne..

Any "in progress" pictures?

No "in progress" pictures. When I start turning something I become a
uniprocessor and don't think about anything else for a while. I don't
usually stop until I finish it. About the only ones that I would have
remembered would have been pictures of small splinters of wood from the
one that exploded on me. What fun is that? :-)

"exploded" is a little strong since only two pieces came off and there
wasn't any noise to speak of. I still have that if you want a picture
of it. I have been trying to think of something to turn with the big
piece that is left. Maybe a nice bottle stopper to go with the two
goblets. Or maybe it might still be large enough around to make a
couple of coasters out of. I'll think of something.

Wayne