Dr. Deb

Default Lever in the Way

I have a Jet 1442, which I dearly love (my fourth lathe and glad of the
other stops along the way - made me appreciate this one more), with a
Reeves drive. My problem is when I use the highest two speeds the lever
gets in the way when I try to turn near the headstock. I would assume this
is because of an error in my turning technique. But when I am cutting a
bowl and putting the finishing touches on the bottom I have to work around
the lever. Yesterday, I was tuning some bobbins for my daughter's spinning
wheel and found the lever in the way when using the skew to clean up the
center portion of the bobbin.

Any hints?

Thanks

Deb
Gerald Ross

Dr. Deb wrote:

I have a Jet 1442, which I dearly love (my fourth lathe and glad of the
other stops along the way - made me appreciate this one more), with a
Reeves drive. My problem is when I use the highest two speeds the lever
gets in the way when I try to turn near the headstock. I would assume this
is because of an error in my turning technique. But when I am cutting a
bowl and putting the finishing touches on the bottom I have to work around
the lever. Yesterday, I was tuning some bobbins for my daughter's spinning
wheel and found the lever in the way when using the skew to clean up the
center portion of the bobbin.

Any hints?

Thanks

Deb

How is the lever mounted on the shaft? Can you reinstall it
at a different angle?

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Know what I hate? I hate rhetorical
questions!

George

"Dr. Deb" wrote in message
I have a Jet 1442, which I dearly love (my fourth lathe and glad of the
other stops along the way - made me appreciate this one more), with a
Reeves drive. My problem is when I use the highest two speeds the lever
gets in the way when I try to turn near the headstock. I would assume

this
is because of an error in my turning technique. But when I am cutting a
bowl and putting the finishing touches on the bottom I have to work around
the lever. Yesterday, I was tuning some bobbins for my daughter's

spinning
wheel and found the lever in the way when using the skew to clean up the
center portion of the bobbin.

Any hints?

I just gave up on my old beast and began turning everything toward the
headstock. It's a great way of doing things, especially if you're
right-handed. Of course, with mine, it was because the banjo couldn't get a
toolrest far enough around a bowl.

For spindle stuff, you might want to consider the pin jaws. They'll grip
square stock or smaller round a bit farther from the headstock. I use 'em a
lot for knobs, icecicles for ornaments, and such. Or start with longer
stuff.

http://personalpages.tds.net/~upgeor...ugh%20Page.htm

Maxprop

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message

Dr. Deb wrote:

[...]

Yes. The speed control lever mounts to the headstock with a splined shaft.
It can be placed in virtually any position. But a more reasonable
alternative is to use a chuck or a longer waste block. The ergonomics of
the 1442 are not ideal, but can be worked around in every case.

Max

Mike

Dr. Deb wrote:
I have a Jet 1442, which I dearly love (my fourth lathe and glad of the
other stops along the way - made me appreciate this one more), with a
Reeves drive. My problem is when I use the highest two speeds the lever
gets in the way when I try to turn near the headstock. I would assume this
is because of an error in my turning technique. But when I am cutting a
bowl and putting the finishing touches on the bottom I have to work around
the lever. Yesterday, I was tuning some bobbins for my daughter's spinning
wheel and found the lever in the way when using the skew to clean up the
center portion of the bobbin.

Any hints?

I have a Delta 1440, with about the same "problem". If you're finished the
inside it is time to reverse the bowl using, Cole Jaws, a vacuum chuck, or a
jam block and tail stock so you can work on the bottom - all the way to the
center. I don't know how you could put the "finishing touches" on the bottom
with it still in a chuck, or on a waste block or faceplate.

Maxprop

"Mike" wrote in message

Dr. Deb wrote:
[...]

I assumed she was referring to finishing that part of the bowl adjacent to
the bottom, rather than the area under the waste block.

Max

Dr. Deb

Gerald Ross wrote:

Dr. Deb wrote:

[...]

No, it has a detent setup that makes turning it around impossible.

Deb

Maxprop

"Dr. Deb" wrote in message

How is the lever mounted on the shaft? Can you reinstall it
at a different angle?

No, it has a detent setup that makes turning it around impossible.

Actually the whole apparatus, including the detent plate, can be turned
upside down, making the arc of the lever downward rather than upward. Not
sure I'd recommend that, however, as it would be cumbersome to use. But it
would get the handle out of the way.

Max

Gerald Ross

Maxprop wrote:
"Dr. Deb" wrote in message

How is the lever mounted on the shaft? Can you reinstall it
at a different angle?

No, it has a detent setup that makes turning it around impossible.

Actually the whole apparatus, including the detent plate, can be turned
upside down, making the arc of the lever downward rather than upward. Not
sure I'd recommend that, however, as it would be cumbersome to use. But it
would get the handle out of the way.

Max

On looking at pictures of this lathe on the net, One listed
by a site in England shows the handle pointing to the left,
ones on US sites seem to show it pointing to the right. My
Delta only turns about 50 degrees, but have never seen a Jet
in person so not sure about it. The detent and lever can be
rotated 180 degrees on mine also, but it would be sticking
to the right.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Know what I hate? I hate rhetorical
questions!

Leo Lichtman

"Gerald Ross" wrote: (clip)One listed by a site in England shows the handle
pointing to the left, ones on US sites seem to show it pointing to the
That's because they drive on the opposite side of the street.