Maxprop

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message

Dr. Deb wrote:

I have a Jet 1442, which I dearly love (my fourth lathe and glad of the
other stops along the way - made me appreciate this one more), with a
Reeves drive. My problem is when I use the highest two speeds the lever
gets in the way when I try to turn near the headstock. I would assume
this
is because of an error in my turning technique. But when I am cutting a
bowl and putting the finishing touches on the bottom I have to work
around
the lever. Yesterday, I was tuning some bobbins for my daughter's
spinning
wheel and found the lever in the way when using the skew to clean up the
center portion of the bobbin. Any hints?

Thanks

Deb

How is the lever mounted on the shaft? Can you reinstall it at a different
angle?

Yes. The speed control lever mounts to the headstock with a splined shaft.
It can be placed in virtually any position. But a more reasonable
alternative is to use a chuck or a longer waste block. The ergonomics of
the 1442 are not ideal, but can be worked around in every case.

Max