George

"Dr. Deb" wrote in message
I have a Jet 1442, which I dearly love (my fourth lathe and glad of the
other stops along the way - made me appreciate this one more), with a
Reeves drive. My problem is when I use the highest two speeds the lever
gets in the way when I try to turn near the headstock. I would assume

this
is because of an error in my turning technique. But when I am cutting a
bowl and putting the finishing touches on the bottom I have to work around
the lever. Yesterday, I was tuning some bobbins for my daughter's

spinning
wheel and found the lever in the way when using the skew to clean up the
center portion of the bobbin.

Any hints?

I just gave up on my old beast and began turning everything toward the
headstock. It's a great way of doing things, especially if you're
right-handed. Of course, with mine, it was because the banjo couldn't get a
toolrest far enough around a bowl.

For spindle stuff, you might want to consider the pin jaws. They'll grip
square stock or smaller round a bit farther from the headstock. I use 'em a
lot for knobs, icecicles for ornaments, and such. Or start with longer
stuff.

http://personalpages.tds.net/~upgeor...ugh%20Page.htm