Old December 12th 03, 04:33 PM
Lewis Campbell

Default Reversing leadscrew on small lathe

I have a small lathe, similar to this one at Harbor Freight (
http://tinyurl.com/yy03 ) except that mine was purchased from Enco.

Anyway, I would like to be able to machine LH threads but this machine
does not have a reversible leadscrew.

I'm wondering if any of you creative gentlemen may have engineered a
fix for this?

Your help will be appreciated.

Lewis.

Old December 12th 03, 08:46 PM
David Billington

If there is no provision for changing the feed direction via the feed
gearbox then I would expect it to be possible to add an idler into the
geartrain driving the feed gearbox. This would reverse the direction. I
am not about to download the 47mb PDF file from harborfreight even with
broadband to find out.

Old December 12th 03, 08:50 PM
Loren Coe

In article , Lewis Campbell wrote:
I have a small lathe, similar to this one at Harbor Freight (
http://tinyurl.com/yy03 ) except that mine was purchased from Enco.

Anyway, I would like to be able to machine LH threads but this machine
does not have a reversible leadscrew.

i don't think lh threading requires reversing the lead screw. there
s/b good info thru google but i would be surprised if you cannot
reverse it on your machine. --Loren

Old December 13th 03, 02:40 AM
Peter Grey

"Lewis Campbell" wrote in message
om...
I have a small lathe, similar to this one at Harbor Freight (
http://tinyurl.com/yy03 ) except that mine was purchased from Enco.

Anyway, I would like to be able to machine LH threads but this machine
does not have a reversible leadscrew.

I'm wondering if any of you creative gentlemen may have engineered a
fix for this?

Your help will be appreciated.

Lewis.

Lewis,

Check out these two sites. Both may be of some help.

Regards,

Peter

http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty/7x10/

Old December 13th 03, 03:35 AM
DoN. Nichols

In article [email protected]_s02,
Loren Coe wrote:
In article , Lewis Campbell wrote:
I have a small lathe, similar to this one at Harbor Freight (
http://tinyurl.com/yy03 ) except that mine was purchased from Enco.

Anyway, I would like to be able to machine LH threads but this machine
does not have a reversible leadscrew.

i don't think lh threading requires reversing the lead screw. there
s/b good info thru google but i would be surprised if you cannot
reverse it on your machine. --Loren

The tumbler gears reverse the leadscrew on any lathe fitted with
them (unfortunately, not the one in question).

Reversing the spindle will *also* reverse the leadscrew, so you
are *still* cutting a right-hand thread -- just from the other end.

As already mentioned, adding an idler gear to the train (as long
as you can find a place on the crowsfoot to mount it (or whatever the
equivalent on the Enco lathe might be)) will accomplish the reversal, if
not as conveniently as the tumbler gears on larger lathes.

The actual count of teeth in the gear doesn't really matter that
much, since it is just working as an idler -- just find one which will
fit between two gears in the existing train.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Old December 13th 03, 05:18 PM
Leo Lichtman

(clip)i don't think lh threading requires reversing the lead screw(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Wasn't there a thread here recently in which the OP wanted to cut RH
threads, and was getting LH? He was advised to put the tool behind the work
and invert the cutter.

Old December 13th 03, 07:39 PM
Ted Edwards

Leo Lichtman wrote:

Wasn't there a thread here recently in which the OP wanted to cut RH
threads, and was getting LH? He was advised to put the tool behind the work
and invert the cutter.

Hopefully you don't believe that would work.

Ted

Old December 14th 03, 02:09 AM
Keith Marshall

Start with this:

http://www.bedair.org/Tumble/Tumble.html

and then look at his other projects:

http://www.bedair.org/9x20camlock/9x20project.html

A very nice site for the 9 x 20 lathe owner!

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Old December 14th 03, 02:30 AM
Russ Wizinsky - ProfessorWiz

Wow that's a really nice site for anybody. I've thought about the variable
speed thing when I was looking at the old unused tredmill/coatrack the other
day. It's got a pretty stout motor on it. I'm glad I'm not the only one with
this idea.

Thanks,

Russ Wizinsky

www.professorwiz.com