thescullster

Default Pop Up Waste Lever Leak

Hi all

Just fitting new bathroom pottery and find that there is a leak where the
pop up waste lever fits into the basin outlet.

The parts excluding vertical actuator rod:
rod with fixed plastic ball
two "cups" or ball seals
a threaded cap
a sliding toggle thingy for securing vertical actuator rod

To assemble I have:
Fitted inner ball seal into the threaded housing to the rear of the sink
waste - checked to make sure it is at the bottom of the housing on small
shoulder.
Pushed rod in so that platic ball rests on inner ball seal.
Fitted outer ball seal and threaded cap.
Tightened cap as far as posible without locking up the lever action.

Water is still passing the ball assembly somehow!
Should it be necessary to seat the inner ball sea in silicone?
If not, why should it leak?

Please don't suggest I take the sink/waste out, as I have final fitted and
siliconed around the basin and actually managed to get a reasonably neat
finish.

TIA

Phil

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"thescullster" writes:
Just fitting new bathroom pottery and find that there is a leak where the
pop up waste lever fits into the basin outlet.

The parts excluding vertical actuator rod:
rod with fixed plastic ball
two "cups" or ball seals
a threaded cap
a sliding toggle thingy for securing vertical actuator rod

To assemble I have:
Fitted inner ball seal into the threaded housing to the rear of the sink
waste - checked to make sure it is at the bottom of the housing on small
shoulder.
Pushed rod in so that platic ball rests on inner ball seal.
Fitted outer ball seal and threaded cap.
Tightened cap as far as posible without locking up the lever action.

Water is still passing the ball assembly somehow!
Should it be necessary to seat the inner ball sea in silicone?
If not, why should it leak?

You shouldn't need any further sealant there. I would
disassemble and check for damaged parts. There's almost
no water pressure at that point, so a noticable leak
would imply some significant mismatch.

Please don't suggest I take the sink/waste out, as I have final fitted and
siliconed around the basin and actually managed to get a reasonably neat
finish.

At worse, you should only need to remove the waste from the sink.

--
Andrew Gabriel
TheScullster

Thanks Andrew

My reluctance to remove the waste is due to:

1. The cramped access
2. Knowing that I wound the waste up well tight to achieve the correct
orientation of the lever connection.

I'll have another look at the lever housing tonight with a torch and mirror
and make certain that I have identified the correct source of the leak
before I start major dismantling.

Phil

Story & Info: Slab leak pipe repair Melbourne FL Brevard Co Rick Home Repair 0 September 3rd 03 01:18 AM
sink waste vandelay UK diy 9 August 18th 03 05:35 PM
Mystery Bathroom Leak Billy Home Repair 12 August 17th 03 02:39 AM