thescullster

Default Pop Up Waste Lever Leak

Hi all

Just fitting new bathroom pottery and find that there is a leak where the
pop up waste lever fits into the basin outlet.

The parts excluding vertical actuator rod:
rod with fixed plastic ball
two "cups" or ball seals
a threaded cap
a sliding toggle thingy for securing vertical actuator rod

To assemble I have:
Fitted inner ball seal into the threaded housing to the rear of the sink
waste - checked to make sure it is at the bottom of the housing on small
shoulder.
Pushed rod in so that platic ball rests on inner ball seal.
Fitted outer ball seal and threaded cap.
Tightened cap as far as posible without locking up the lever action.

Water is still passing the ball assembly somehow!
Should it be necessary to seat the inner ball sea in silicone?
If not, why should it leak?

Please don't suggest I take the sink/waste out, as I have final fitted and
siliconed around the basin and actually managed to get a reasonably neat
finish.

TIA

Phil