UK diy (uk.d-i-y) For the discussion of all topics related to diy (do-it-yourself) in the UK. All levels of experience and proficency are welcome to join in to ask questions or offer solutions.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old August 16th 03, 11:43 AM
vandelay
 
Posts: n/a
Default sink waste

I've recently fitted a kitchen. The furniture was budget but decent, and
put together by a cretin at a local Travis Perkins shop.

I use "cretin" because he gave me a mismatched bath waste and trap,
meaning that the trap wouldn't screw tightly to the waste. So I had to
get another, which leaked, and then another, and now have a snug
water-tight fit.

And I think he's done something similar when deciding on what basin I
need - I think he's given me the wrong waste for the sink. THe sink is
one of those with an integrated overflow (ie which is built into the
porcelain).

He's given me a waste which appears to be the right one, but when it's
tightened up, it leaks. Water appears to be coming from the union of the
sink and the waste underneath, where the plastic bolt is which holds it
in place. Before you ask, yes, I've put rubber washers on both sides,
and after discovering the leak, I took it apart and put some silicon in
to help too. No luck - it's still leaking.

Any ideas? I'm tempted to get a new waste and just start afresh, but I'm
fed-up of wasting money.


  #3   Report Post  
Old August 16th 03, 02:50 PM
vandelay
 
Posts: n/a
Default sink waste

Gary Cavie wrote:
In article , says...

And I think he's done something similar when deciding on what basin I
need - I think he's given me the wrong waste for the sink. THe sink is
one of those with an integrated overflow (ie which is built into the
porcelain).

He's given me a waste which appears to be the right one, but when it's
tightened up, it leaks. Water appears to be coming from the union of the
sink and the waste underneath, where the plastic bolt is which holds it
in place. Before you ask, yes, I've put rubber washers on both sides,
and after discovering the leak, I took it apart and put some silicon in
to help too. No luck - it's still leaking.

Any ideas? I'm tempted to get a new waste and just start afresh, but I'm
fed-up of wasting money.




I'm certainly no plumber, so I may not be giving you the best advice -
but I did fit one of those sort of basins and had hell and all trouble
with leaks. I eventually found in Wickes a conical rubber sort of thingy,
with a hole through the centre which was a tight fit over the waste stem.
This then pushed up into the porcelain, and when the nut underneath was
tightened, it stopped all leaks, and has been fine for the last 5 years.
I don't know whether this is the propoer way of fitting these wastes, or
whether there is a better way, but it worked for me!


Hi Gary

Thanks for the advice - it sounds like just what I need. Any idea
exactly what this piece of rubber was called? Was it sold as some kind
of "sink repair kit" or was it for something else? It sounds a bit like
a compression rubber from a waste pipe, except larger (actually, I think
I'll check one of my many 'spare' bath wastes to see if they fit).

Any help appreciated.

  #4   Report Post  
Old August 16th 03, 03:16 PM
Gary Cavie
 
Posts: n/a
Default sink waste

In article ,
says...
Gary Cavie wrote:
In article ,
says...

And I think he's done something similar when deciding on what basin I
need - I think he's given me the wrong waste for the sink. THe sink is
one of those with an integrated overflow (ie which is built into the
porcelain).

He's given me a waste which appears to be the right one, but when it's
tightened up, it leaks. Water appears to be coming from the union of the
sink and the waste underneath, where the plastic bolt is which holds it
in place. Before you ask, yes, I've put rubber washers on both sides,
and after discovering the leak, I took it apart and put some silicon in
to help too. No luck - it's still leaking.

Any ideas? I'm tempted to get a new waste and just start afresh, but I'm
fed-up of wasting money.




I'm certainly no plumber, so I may not be giving you the best advice -
but I did fit one of those sort of basins and had hell and all trouble
with leaks. I eventually found in Wickes a conical rubber sort of thingy,
with a hole through the centre which was a tight fit over the waste stem.
This then pushed up into the porcelain, and when the nut underneath was
tightened, it stopped all leaks, and has been fine for the last 5 years.
I don't know whether this is the propoer way of fitting these wastes, or
whether there is a better way, but it worked for me!


Hi Gary

Thanks for the advice - it sounds like just what I need. Any idea
exactly what this piece of rubber was called? Was it sold as some kind
of "sink repair kit" or was it for something else? It sounds a bit like
a compression rubber from a waste pipe, except larger (actually, I think
I'll check one of my many 'spare' bath wastes to see if they fit).

Any help appreciated.



Sorry - I can't remember what it was called exactly, but is was something
along the lines of Tapered Waste Washer, or summat like that. It was in
Wickes, with all the waste stuff. I'm heading into Homebase shortly, so
I'll see if they have anything like it, and report back here. Your
description of it is pretty much spot on though, FWIW.

Gary
  #5   Report Post  
Old August 16th 03, 05:54 PM
vandelay
 
Posts: n/a
Default sink waste

LL Reid wrote:
"vandelay" wrote in message
...

He's given me a waste which appears to be the right one, but when it's
tightened up, it leaks. Water appears to be coming from the union of the
sink and the waste underneath, where the plastic bolt is which holds it
in place. Before you ask, yes, I've put rubber washers on both sides,
and after discovering the leak, I took it apart and put some silicon in
to help too. No luck - it's still leaking.

Any ideas?



Plumber's Mait?



Plumber's Mait wouldn't work - just a sideline to the issue, I've never
ever been able to stop a leak with Plumber's Mait and, if you look at
the instructions, it's not designed to do this. It's designed to hold
fixtures and fittings in place temporarily, and that's all.

Anyway, Gary's suggestion worked a treat. I fished out the old bath
waste from the bin and pulled out the rubber compression seal (although
you can buy "bath trap rubber repair kits" from DIY shops which will
have a similar item). It's a few millimetres too large to fit snugly
around the screwthread of the basin waste, but, with the standard rubber
washer beneath, it works great when it's tightened up. No more leak.
Thanks Gary - this is a nice little trick and has saved me a lot of
work/heartache.



  #6   Report Post  
Old August 16th 03, 06:21 PM
Simon Avery
 
Posts: n/a
Default sink waste

vandelay wrote:

Hello vandelay

v| He's given me a waste which appears to be the right one, but
v| when it's tightened up, it leaks. Water appears to be coming
v| from the union of the sink and the waste underneath, where
v| the plastic bolt is which holds it in place. Before you ask,
v| yes, I've put rubber washers on both sides, and after
v| discovering the leak, I took it apart and put some silicon
v| in to help too. No luck - it's still leaking.


You are using ptfe tape in the threads, aren't you?

If the threads go tight (ie, don't slip) then they're correct. If
water leaks from the threads, you need tape.

As for the assembly through the sink, non-setting plumbers mastic is
usually used to bed the waste on (upper side) before tightening, then
wipe off any excess.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/

  #7   Report Post  
Old August 16th 03, 08:28 PM
Alex
 
Posts: n/a
Default sink waste

Sounds to me the only cretin was the one fitting the waste.


  #8   Report Post  
Old August 16th 03, 10:22 PM
Michael McNeil
 
Posts: n/a
Default sink waste

vandelay wrote in message ...

I remember taking a look at the new kitchen a potential customer had
had fitted some months earlier. After a freeze up or something (I
forget what) she'd had the devil's own with it and now (then) it was
supported by a bowl that needed regular emptying.

I fiddled with it for hours befor realising that the threads were such
that they only fitted one way. The piece that held the intake and
outlet for the the trap seemed to be fittable in any direction but it
was not.

It was obviously designed to flow one way only. The idiocy in the
design was in making the threads different without altering the
diameters of the connections to make the design obvious.

How she had got it to fit part way before I had a go defeats me to
this day. It worked a treat after the penny dropped. But I was
panicking for a while as I couldn't do with ability and common sense
what they had done with ignorance and desperation.
  #9   Report Post  
Old August 18th 03, 02:16 PM
Christian McArdle
 
Posts: n/a
Default sink waste

I just had this problem with a Belfast sink. In the end, I did the
following:

1. Fill threads of waste with Boss White.
2. Wrap loads of PTFE around threads.
3. Insert waste into hole.
4. Put big continuous bead of silicone sealant around rubber washer.
5. Push rubber washer up against bottom of sink.
6. Put big bead of sealant around metal nut.
7. Tighten nut, hard.
8. Wipe off excess sealant (i.e. loads of it)
9. WAIT FOUR HOURS.
10. Test with water.

This is a technique I've used before. If I stray from it, I always get
leaks. I have no idea what the correct technique is, because the waste
fittings never come with instructions. There is a wealth of information on
how to do push fit, copper soldering or compression joints. There is never
anything about waste fittings. It is hard enough working out which bit of a
waste go which side of the sink hole. They never seem to come with
instructions, or even a diagram.

Christian.


  #10   Report Post  
Old August 18th 03, 05:35 PM
jerrybuilt
 
Posts: n/a
Default sink waste

vandelay wrote:
I've recently fitted a kitchen. The furniture was budget but
decent, and put together by a cretin at a local Travis Perkins
shop.

I use "cretin" because he gave me a mismatched bath waste and
trap, meaning that the trap wouldn't screw tightly to the waste.
So I had to get another, which leaked, and then another, and
now have a snug water-tight fit.

And I think he's done something similar when deciding on what
basin I need - I think he's given me the wrong waste for the
sink. THe sink is one of those with an integrated overflow
(ie which is built into the porcelain).


Sorry, I'm confused. "Bathroom basin, kitchen sink". Which
is it?
--



__________________________________________________ ______________
Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com






Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Plumbing Waste Anomaly Grunff UK diy 8 August 10th 03 11:35 AM
Black pads underneath s/s sink? Bob Eager UK diy 3 August 8th 03 12:41 AM
joist holes for sink waste Steve UK diy 1 August 6th 03 01:18 PM
Sink waste through wall Richard UK diy 4 August 4th 03 02:04 PM
Bath and Basin waste. Troy UK diy 6 July 25th 03 07:41 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017