vandelay

Default sink waste

LL Reid wrote:
"vandelay" wrote in message

He's given me a waste which appears to be the right one, but when it's
tightened up, it leaks. Water appears to be coming from the union of the
sink and the waste underneath, where the plastic bolt is which holds it
in place. Before you ask, yes, I've put rubber washers on both sides,
and after discovering the leak, I took it apart and put some silicon in
to help too. No luck - it's still leaking.

Any ideas?

Plumber's Mait?

Plumber's Mait wouldn't work - just a sideline to the issue, I've never
ever been able to stop a leak with Plumber's Mait and, if you look at
the instructions, it's not designed to do this. It's designed to hold
fixtures and fittings in place temporarily, and that's all.

Anyway, Gary's suggestion worked a treat. I fished out the old bath
waste from the bin and pulled out the rubber compression seal (although
you can buy "bath trap rubber repair kits" from DIY shops which will
have a similar item). It's a few millimetres too large to fit snugly
around the screwthread of the basin waste, but, with the standard rubber
washer beneath, it works great when it's tightened up. No more leak.
Thanks Gary - this is a nice little trick and has saved me a lot of
work/heartache.