Grunff

Default Plumbing Waste Anomaly

Doctor D. wrote:
Hi,

I'm in the process of replacing our shower room (and yes, it is far too hot
to be doing it!)
The house is about 16 years old and the plumbing is all original.

I'm having problems with the plastic waste fittings. The 40mm shower waste,
and now the 32mm sink waste pipes are not the same size as the originals.
They are all made by Marley, and are marked up as being 1 and a quarter/32
and one and a half/40 but the new ones are smaller than the existing so I
can't fit get new push fits onto the original pipes.

I tried replacing the whole length of the shower waste into the soil stack
connection but now it just flops around in the hole and leaks!

Is it me doing something silly?
Have they changed the sizing in the past 16 years?

There are two types of waste pipe, those for solvent weld and
those for compression. Because the materials are incompatible,
they make them slightly different sizes. So 32mm solvent weld
(ABS) pipe is not the same diameter as 32mm compression (dunno
what it's made of) pipe.

--
Grunff

Doctor D.

There are two types of waste pipe, those for solvent weld and
those for compression. Because the materials are incompatible,
they make them slightly different sizes. So 32mm solvent weld
(ABS) pipe is not the same diameter as 32mm compression (dunno
what it's made of) pipe.

Thanks for the prompt reply.
That would explain things, all the existing is solvent weld.

Looks like I need to go and buy some solvent weld pipe and fittings, it
should be easier than replacing the whole soil stack!

BillR

Doctor D. wrote:
There are two types of waste pipe, those for solvent weld and
those for compression. Because the materials are incompatible,
they make them slightly different sizes. So 32mm solvent weld
(ABS) pipe is not the same diameter as 32mm compression (dunno
what it's made of) pipe.

Thanks for the prompt reply.
That would explain things, all the existing is solvent weld.

Looks like I need to go and buy some solvent weld pipe and fittings,
it should be easier than replacing the whole soil stack!

Solvent weld is imho better because its fit & forget esp good for hidden
works.
Looks neater too. If you haven't used it before the one thing to remember is
to clean the pipe and fitting before applying solvent. The cleaner they sell
is actetone but I've often used meths.

Doctor D.

You can buy adaptors to go from solvent weld to push fit.

Yes, thanks. Just found them in the Screwfix catalogue. As I've bought the
pipe and joints I think this is the way I will go.
It seems so fundamental that the two types are different, it just seems odd
that they are both given the same diameters! I done plenty of plumbing with
push fit in the past, I can't understand why I've never found this problem
before.

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Doctor D. wrote:
Yes, thanks. Just found them in the Screwfix catalogue. As I've bought
the pipe and joints I think this is the way I will go. It seems so
fundamental that the two types are different, it just seems odd that
they are both given the same diameters! I done plenty of plumbing with
push fit in the past, I can't understand why I've never found this
problem before.

Presumably because you've not used solvent weld? ;-)

It's great stuff solvent weld, but even less forgiving than soldering
copper. Not for the fainthearted.

--
*If you remember the '60s, you weren't really there

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

OldScrawn

Have they changed the sizing in the past 16 years?

Yes. The old brown Marley are not compatible with the more modern white push
fittings. I've never bothered to check but assumed it was a metrication thing,
"real" 1 1/4 and "metric" 1 1/4.

Some of the white stuff in sheds with screw couplings has enough clearance and
bigger seals to cope with both sorts. If you can't replace it all you may need
a bodge at the join. E.g. remove the Marley O ring, force in the new pipe
perhaps with a bit of sealant, and pvc tape to keep the join together seems to
work.
Tony Bryer

In article , Dave Plowman
wrote:
Presumably because you've not used solvent weld? ;-)

It's great stuff solvent weld, but even less forgiving
than soldering copper. Not for the fainthearted.

The trick is to assemble it dry and put witness lines at the
joints so that when you stick it everything is in the correct
alignment

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Tony Bryer wrote:
The trick is to assemble it dry and put witness lines at the
joints so that when you stick it everything is in the correct
alignment

Yup - assuming the solvent doesn't dissolve them. ;-)

--
*Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
John Stumbles

"Dave Plowman" wrote in message
It's great stuff solvent weld, but even less forgiving than soldering
copper. Not for the fainthearted.

I generally do all the hidden/inaccessible pipe runs in solvent weld since I
know that if it's sound now it'll stay sound, and that if someone yanks on
the pipework or uses a pressure plunger to try to clear a blockage it won't
come apart horribly! Then I'll use a solvent spigot/compression socket
coupler (e.g. BES 11142 40mm straight) to give somewhere I can connect the
pipework from the trap to with a bit of leeway for movement to line it all
up, and remove it if the trap needs re-doing or the waste pipe needs
roddings etc.

--
John Stumbles

Sink waste through wall Richard UK diy 4 August 4th 03 02:04 PM
very dumb first attempt at plumbing questions fireblade UK diy 10 July 25th 03 10:03 PM
Bath and Basin waste. Troy UK diy 6 July 25th 03 07:41 PM
Washing machine - waste pipe limescale IMM UK diy 2 July 15th 03 10:25 PM
Trying to understand my plumbing system Richard Clay UK diy 3 July 12th 03 12:19 AM