John Stumbles

Default Plumbing Waste Anomaly

"BillR" wrote in message
Doctor D. wrote:
There are two types of waste pipe, those for solvent weld and
those for compression. Because the materials are incompatible,
they make them slightly different sizes. So 32mm solvent weld
(ABS) pipe is not the same diameter as 32mm compression (dunno
what it's made of) pipe.

Thanks for the prompt reply.
That would explain things, all the existing is solvent weld.

Looks like I need to go and buy some solvent weld pipe and fittings,
it should be easier than replacing the whole soil stack!

Solvent weld is imho better because its fit & forget esp good for hidden
works.
Looks neater too. If you haven't used it before the one thing to remember

is
to clean the pipe and fitting before applying solvent. The cleaner they

sell
is actetone but I've often used meths.

"Dave Plowman" wrote in message
It's great stuff solvent weld, but even less forgiving than soldering
copper. Not for the fainthearted.

I generally do all the hidden/inaccessible pipe runs in solvent weld since I
know that if it's sound now it'll stay sound, and that if someone yanks on
the pipework or uses a pressure plunger to try to clear a blockage it won't
come apart horribly! Then I'll use a solvent spigot/compression socket
coupler (e.g. BES 11142 40mm straight) to give somewhere I can connect the
pipework from the trap to with a bit of leeway for movement to line it all
up, and remove it if the trap needs re-doing or the waste pipe needs
roddings etc.

--
John Stumbles