vandelay

Default sink waste

Gary Cavie wrote:
In article , says...

And I think he's done something similar when deciding on what basin I
need - I think he's given me the wrong waste for the sink. THe sink is
one of those with an integrated overflow (ie which is built into the
porcelain).

He's given me a waste which appears to be the right one, but when it's
tightened up, it leaks. Water appears to be coming from the union of the
sink and the waste underneath, where the plastic bolt is which holds it
in place. Before you ask, yes, I've put rubber washers on both sides,
and after discovering the leak, I took it apart and put some silicon in
to help too. No luck - it's still leaking.

Any ideas? I'm tempted to get a new waste and just start afresh, but I'm
fed-up of wasting money.

I'm certainly no plumber, so I may not be giving you the best advice -
but I did fit one of those sort of basins and had hell and all trouble
with leaks. I eventually found in Wickes a conical rubber sort of thingy,
with a hole through the centre which was a tight fit over the waste stem.
This then pushed up into the porcelain, and when the nut underneath was
tightened, it stopped all leaks, and has been fine for the last 5 years.
I don't know whether this is the propoer way of fitting these wastes, or
whether there is a better way, but it worked for me!

Hi Gary

Thanks for the advice - it sounds like just what I need. Any idea
exactly what this piece of rubber was called? Was it sold as some kind
of "sink repair kit" or was it for something else? It sounds a bit like
a compression rubber from a waste pipe, except larger (actually, I think
I'll check one of my many 'spare' bath wastes to see if they fit).

Any help appreciated.