Billy

Default Mystery Bathroom Leak

We just had a 24 x 13 popcorn ceiling torn down and sheetrocked. While it
was down, I had my plumber install new waste and toilet lines in the Master
and Main baths because the plumbing inside this ceiling had evidence of past
leaking and most pipes were of corroded galvanized. Of special note is that
the drain for the main bath shower was dripping....at least we think it was
the drain because the water was dripping from that vicinity (read on)...

We called our plumber to look and he said he ran the main bath tub and no
leaking occurred where noted. He also noted that this particular bathroom
had all new waste lines made of copper, unlike all the other waste lines
made of galvanized and in need of repair. However, we still insisted it
leaked because I had a bucket under there and saw the drips.

He replaced all the waste lines with PVC and the new ceiling went
up...spackled, painted....the whole bit. We've taken a shower for weeks
after this....no problem. Suddenly, several weeks after the plumbing job and
for one week straight now, we are getting small amounts of water (about a
half or so full of a dixie cup) coming through the recessed light where that
shower is located above.

The mystery:
1. I test run the shower with the tub closed and no leak
2. I test run the shower with the tub open and no leak
3. I test run the tub faucet with the tub closed and no leak
4. I test run the tub faucet with the tub open and no leak
5. I switch the diverter and hot/cold levers back and forth and no leak
6. I run the sink faucet and no leak
7. I flush the toilet and no leak
8. My wife takes a shower and no leak
9. I take a shower (usually after her) and it leaks!

I thought it might be my weight, but my wife is pregnant and now weighs the
same as me!

This pattern is consistent and neither I or the plumber have a clue or a
solution. He said he'll take the ceiling out and have a look, but I'm really
trying to avoid this. Do you have any suggestions of how to troubleshoot
this further before I have to rip apart the ceiling?

mark Ransley

what is the temperature inside your house, could it be condensation
forming

Rick

"Billy" wrote in message
[...]

A Ha!

In one situation just like yours, the culprit was the shower head. One of my
buddies had a situation exactly like this. He was taller than his wife so
they adjusted the showerhead each time they used the shower. Thing was, when
his wife was in, the showerhead was at an angle that allowed a small, very
fine "mist leak" - almost unnoticeable - which happened to spray above the
showerhead pipe where it wasn't caulked very well, and ran right down the
pipe in the wall to the ceiling below. Check for something like that. With
the shower pipe in many situations that decorative "plate" is there but
where the wall has been cut through must be sealed very well.

-Rick

Marilyn and Bob

There is at least one troubleshooting option you did not try. You take your
shower before your wife and see if the leak occurs on the first or not until
the second shower. If it occurs on the first, it definitely has something
to do with you.
--
Peace,
BobJ

"Jim Mc Namara" wrote in message
y.com...

"Billy" wrote in message:

9. I take a shower (usually after her) and it leaks!

There is a possibility that the water is splashing off your body and

running
down around the escutcheons on the valve handles or shower head. Take

your
shower and have someone take a look. I've had this happen in the past

with
a few customers.

Jim

Randy

My son thought of this idea, what if it takes a while for the leak to appear
in the ceiling below? By the time you take your shower the leak which began
while your wife doesn't appear until you complete yours.

I agree that your leak isn't in the plumbing, its probably around the
fixtures where they pass through the wall or where the tub meets the
tile/shower wall.

Randy

Billy

Default Mystery Bathroom Leak ***UPDATE***

Today, I did one thing not done yet, and that was to *not* twist the
diverter valve back from the shower side to the tub side. I though of it
because the water that flows out of the faucet when I return the diverter
from shower to tub is just about a cup full or more, and any backwash that
is not coming out would explain the small amount we see exiting the ceiling.
Moreso that it looks like "fresh" water leaking - not soap scum sewage.

What do you know...no leak today. Therefore, I left the diverter in the
shower position and will continue to see if the leak does not reoccur.

What is the possibility of this segment of the faucet leaking, and is this a
DIY job?

"Billy" wrote in message
[...]

Marilyn and Bob

Yes, but if it appears at the same time as when the wife takes the shower
first, then the problem is shower related, not person related. Switching
the order is the way to tell the difference.
--
Peace,
BobJ

"Randy" wrote in message
My son thought of this idea, what if it takes a while for the leak to

appear
in the ceiling below? By the time you take your shower the leak which

began
while your wife doesn't appear until you complete yours.

I agree that your leak isn't in the plumbing, its probably around the
fixtures where they pass through the wall or where the tub meets the
tile/shower wall.

Randy

Colbyt

"Billy" wrote in message
Today, I did one thing not done yet, and that was to *not* twist the
diverter valve back from the shower side to the tub side. I though of it
because the water that flows out of the faucet when I return the diverter
from shower to tub is just about a cup full or more, and any backwash that
is not coming out would explain the small amount we see exiting the

ceiling.
Moreso that it looks like "fresh" water leaking - not soap scum sewage.

The diverter lever would have some form of "packing nut" or "stem bushing".
I haven't taken one apart for quite a few years. I should say I think it
would drain to the tub before leaking to the wall on at least an 80/20
ratio.

If you are reasonably handy it might be a DIY project. Might be as simple
as tightening the packing nut ( the nut that holds the stem in place). No
more complicated than removing the diverter valve and replacing everything
you find behind it. Most likely you will need to visit a plumbing supply
house to secure the parts not likely found at Lowes or HD.