Wood Turn It Dont Burn It

Default Can A Link Belt Be Used On A Jet 1442 ?

I belive I read here a short time ago that someone had used a link belt
on his Jet 1442. How wide should the belt be and can it be installed
without undoing the various pieces of the Reeves drive to slide the
shaft out as you would to install the original belt. Also, how tight do
you make it between the 2 pulleys. Thanks in advance.

STEMO

Mainebowlman

Stemo, I took a chance with some internet info and installed a link
belt on my Delta 46-715 yesterday. Seems to run quieter.

My 1/2" wide stretched Delta belt was supposed to be 28 1/2" in outside
diameter (got that info from Delta parts). The links worked out pretty
darn close to that.

I was able to put the speed lever to the max rpm and roll the belt over
onto the Reeves pulley on the motor. (After trial and error, I also
figured it looks like the tabs should face the pulley to form the V.
Duh!)

Found this info that might help:
http://www.newwoodworker.com/bltrplcjwl1236.html

Hope this helps.

Jack

Junior Member

Location: Hagerstown, MD

The Jet 1442 uses a reeves drive system... DO NOT use a link belt on this type of system... if you need to replace the existing belt go to a good autoparts store and get the best Gates Green belt they have in the size you need... I use them on my 1236 that has the same type of drive and they last longer than the factory replacements at a fraction of the cost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Turn It Dont Burn It
I belive I read here a short time ago that someone had used a link belt
on his Jet 1442. How wide should the belt be and can it be installed
without undoing the various pieces of the Reeves drive to slide the
shaft out as you would to install the original belt. Also, how tight do
you make it between the 2 pulleys. Thanks in advance.

STEMO

Mainebowlman

Thanks, Bill, I did catch that...after I had it on and ran it a few
seconds the wrong way. Glad you mentioned it for those reading these
posts.

Now I don't have to worry about having to stop turning to buy a new
belt. Just replace a link!

Jack

Leo Lichtman

"Old Griz" wrote: The Jet 1442 uses a reeves drive system... DO NOT use a
link belt on this type of system...(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Why not? I have done it, and I believe it works better than a standard
solid Vee belt. The advantages a 1.) The length can be changed in
increments of 1/2", allowing you to fine tune the speed range. 2.) If the
drive stalls, and damages the belt, only a couple of links need to be
replaced, instead of the whole belt. 3.) Smoother running. 4.) IMHO,
link belts actually last longer (I have no data to back this up.)

Maxprop

"Wood Turn It Dont Burn It" wrote in message

I belive I read here a short time ago that someone had used a link belt
on his Jet 1442.

I've been using one on my Jet 1442 for nearly a year. I believe the lathe
runs smoother and quieter, and the belt is showing no apparent wear after
about 175 hours of use. I'm anticipating in excess of 600 hours on the belt
before replacement. I may be way off on that one direction or the other,
however.

How wide should the belt be and can it be installed
without undoing the various pieces of the Reeves drive to slide the
shaft out as you would to install the original belt.

Short of measuring the width of the belt, suffice it to say that it's very
close to the width of the belt I cut off the drive. The primary reason I
went to the link belt is that I anticipated some grief in replacing a belt
when the time came. With the link belt, you simply assemble it over the
shafts, set the speed control to its highest setting, and maneuver the belt
onto the pullies. Took a bit of trial and error to get the right length,
but it fits fine now.

Also, how tight do
you make it between the 2 pulleys. Thanks in advance.

Seems to be as tight as the old belt was when new.

Max
Mishawaka, IN

Maxprop

"Old Griz" wrote in message

The Jet 1442 uses a reeves drive system... DO NOT use a link belt on
this type of system...

Really? Please don't tell my Jet 1442 with a Reeves drive, as it's been
using one for almost a year.

Max

Earl

Probably don't need anymore testamonials than you already have but I
used one on my Delta Reeves drive and never had any problem at all. I
don't understand the advice about not using one. The speed changes are
very smooth and the belt runs with less vibration. And you don't have
to take anything apart. Just cut off the old belt and put the link belt
on.

Wood Turn It Dont Burn It

Thanks to all who responded to my post. I'm definately going the link
route when my original belt decides it had enought. Thanks again.

STEMO

Maxprop

"Wood Turn It Dont Burn It" wrote in message

Thanks to all who responded to my post. I'm definately going the link
route when my original belt decides it had enought. Thanks again.

Do as you wish, of course, but I'd advocate not waiting. The smoothness of
the link belt is the main payoff.

Max